DC can play div-x but not mpeg-2?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
davidian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC can play div-x but not mpeg-2?

Post by davidian »

Hellu. Just wanna ask. The Dreamcast can (sorta) play div-x movies. But is there no way to make a working mpeg-2 player?
iantri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by iantri »

Yes, it is possible. Noone is programming such a player at the moment, proably since almost nothing is in the mpeg-2 format.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Erm, ever heared of SVCD's?
There great, because you get very near DVD quality with them :)

Now a MPEG-2 Player on the DC would kick a$$!
IceBreaker
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IceBreaker »

Dudes, just take your MPEG 2 video and re-encode it to DivX and watch them on you DC using DC DivX. You can use virtual dub to do re-encode your videos.

Is it me, or am I the man? 8)
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Heh. SVCDs on the DC. That's a laugh...anyway...if you notice the bitrate for DC DivX is not set at a very high ammount in order for it to work. It might very well be possible to get a functional MPEG-2 decoder on the dreamcast, but nothing that could play the SVCDs typically downloaded off the net. Those are way too high in terms of bitrate. Also, there aren't many free MPEG-2 decoders so it wouldn't be all that easy to port.
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

actually wasgo the dc could probably handle mpeg-2 at svcd quality quite nicely. its mpeg-2 not mpeg-4. mpeg-4 is signifigantly more advanced, your 400kbps divx files are probably equivilant to 750-800kbps mpeg-2
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Actually, I don't think it could. How DCDivx is up and running as well as it is is amazing, but no really good MPEG1 player exists, so analize that! Still, I'm no coder, and I'd love to be proven wrong.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Should be in HB apps forum.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
davidian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Ok then..

Post by davidian »

You're right. It probably wouldn't work making a fully working SVCD player for the Dreamcast, no matter how nice it would be :)

A good SVCD must have a max bitrate of 2500-2600 kbps and preferably an average bitrate at like 1400 ... so I guess it wouldn't work too good.

And converting from SVCD to Div-x is a really stupid idea, it would result in a lot worse quality. Nothing sucks more than videos encoded twice with different codecs =P
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

A VERY good Mpeg-1 player DOES exist...

Post by zektor »

The good player that lik-sang sells (Super Dream Player 2001) with the remote is the best playback you will ever get out of the DC I believe. I play vcd movies I encode from DVD's, and they look and play so darn perfect on the DC.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

Hey zektor, I couldn't find super dream player 2001, but are these choices just as good?
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product ... e6b8ffd8fa
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product ... e6b8ffd8fa
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

perry2175 wrote:Should be in HB apps forum.
yeah..
unisprise
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

borderline.. I know

Post by unisprise »

I'm faced with a terrible dillema...
I bought the lik-sang dreamvcd player, with the little dongle and the remote... (man do I like saying dongle)

I used and enjoyed it for about a year. after which I try now and the cd is scratched, and will not boot. my only options are 1. buy a game doctor and gamecube cd adapter ( I already have gamedoctor but no finishing wheel or buffing cloth) or 2. make a bootable cd of the dreamvcd player. is this disc pressed or burnt? it must be on a cd format small disc (nonexistent 3 inch gdrom discs)

terribly dissapointed in my disc handling carelessness but would hate to have to buy a whole new one with my fully willing and working dongle
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

First, Gypplay rules.

No astoundingly good mpeg 1 players exist because the only legal one around, gpplay, is written in wince. Wince eats up most of the dc's memory, and it sucks. No mpeg players have been written from scratch for the dc, so we don't have anything extravagant.

I've talked to the guy who wrote gypplay, gypsy. He said he would've put mpeg 2 support in back when he was actively writing gypplay, but mpeg 2 is a relatively closed codec, with few free decoders that would be feasible.

As far as a kinda legal sfd player goes, I had an idea:

Get the planet web browser, the free one.
Pull out the files with cd mage.
Follow the directions at boob on playing mp3's under the browser, only set it up to play your .sfd files.
Re burn the disc.

And the sofdec encoder i've seen everywhere on the web blows ass, can't even work directly with mpeg files, have to make em into framservable avi's. Wait, i do that anyways...
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

all our worries would be over if sega gave out the sfd source code
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
IceBreaker
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IceBreaker »

Speeddemon wrote:all our worries would be over if sega gave out the sfd source code
Actually SFD sucks if you don't a GD-Rom because the videos are not compressed and take up a crap load of space. The quality however, is excellent.

I still think we are better off using DCDivX to watch anything on the Dreamcast. I have plenty if videos on one CD that would have taken 3 or 4 if it were encoded differently.

Is it me, or am I the man? 8)
Fritterhead
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

superdream player disc

Post by Fritterhead »

Dude you should have made a backup copy. I did that with mine. I will send it to you if you still need it. email me your address to biff@compuglobalhypermeganet.com and I will send it to you if that is allowed. It only works with the remote so you have to own it so it's not like it is warez or anything If I make a copy for you right?
Inqbusboy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Inqbusboy »

well I think we miss a point here, I the problem with the dreamcast that can?t play DVD or mpeg2 is not a software problem... cause like fatheadpi maybe the gyplay suports the mpg2, but the problem will be the lens. I mean u could have a DVD or SVCD, and the software that play that but if u dont have the "reader lens" it have no point..... Is like CDRW it could play but is all about the lens.
Save a donut...kill a cop
jared1619
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by jared1619 »

well I think we miss a point here, I the problem with the dreamcast that can?t play DVD or mpeg2 is not a software problem... cause like fatheadpi maybe the gyplay suports the mpg2, but the problem will be the lens. I mean u could have a DVD or SVCD, and the software that play that but if u dont have the "reader lens" it have no point..... Is like CDRW it could play but is all about the lens.
SVCD's are burnt or pressed on regular cd-r's or cd's, so it would be a software problem in that case.
Inqbusboy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Inqbusboy »

DUH ?? I knew that if I bring the CdRW thing someone said something. I know SVCD plays in a normal Cd, but IS COMPRESSED IN OTHER CODE. Like Mpeg2. It doesnt mean that if I have a Cd-rom & Power DVD software i can watch DVD?s.....cause it needs a special Hardware (lens that can read that kind of Cd)..thats what im saying is the problem with the dreamcast u dumb
Save a donut...kill a cop