Running Sylverant Locally

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Commandersouth
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Running Sylverant Locally

Post by Commandersouth »

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried doing some quick searching, but didn't see anything. I know with Ephinea/Tethealla you can run the server software locally. I was wondering if that is possible with Sylverant. Particularly so I can run something my dreamcast can connect to. Is this possible, and if so, what would one need to do? I know even if I get the software running I would have to deal with getting the DNS to repoint from the DreamPi I would be using on my DC, but maybe there's a guide for that. My endgame would be to get my DC to connect to the server, and if my nephew who plays could connect with BB on PC, get him in game with me as well. In any event, TY for any insight, I appreciate it.
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Running Sylverant Locally

Post by legit nyck »

:arrow:
are you looking to run a standalone private server to play with your nephew online is that it? if that's the question here is the link , I might be wrong but sylverant doesn't do temporary ship hosting on their server anyway you can easily run that server and connect with your friends
Last edited by legit nyck on Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aleron Ives »

Sylverant is open source, so you can run your own server if you wish; however, you'll need FreeBSD, and you'll have to compile Sylverant from source and configure it yourself. BlueCrab doesn't enjoy writing documentation, so there's a steep learning curve to getting it to work from scratch.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Also, Sylverant is not really designed for running on a LAN. There are already tools out there to do that job, and I don't/didn't really intend for Sylverant to ever fill that role.

It's essentially designed to require a Unix-like environment with many dependencies and whatnot (MariaDB/MySQL database, lots of development libraries and such, a compiler, public key infrastructure, etc). Also, there's not anything quest-related or other game data that comes with Sylverant -- that all has to be found, put in the right places, configured, etc. Basically, it's not a task for the faint of heart or those who aren't seasoned BSD/Linux sysadmins.

All of that is a huge part of the reason I haven't written documentation of getting things set up. Even with documentation, it would still be quite the monumental task. That... and well, the fact that I don't really like the idea of further fracturing the limited number of people left playing PSO.
These users thanked the author BlueCrab for the post:
legit nyck