Install GLdc, ALdc and SDL-dreamhal in KOS

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
octoate
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Install GLdc, ALdc and SDL-dreamhal in KOS

Post by octoate »

Hi,
I have a Linux system set up with KallistiOS. It works fine and the examples are also working without a problem. Now I want to use GLdc, ALdc and SDL-dreamhal instead of the default libraries that are provided in kos-ports since they seem to be "more modern". I tried to find a how to that shows how to install those libraries on it, but haven't found anything or only outdated stuff.

So is there a recommended way to install those libraries in combination with KOS?
These users thanked the author octoate for the post:
Memorix101
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Install GLdc, ALdc and SDL-dreamhal in KOS

Post by |darc| »

There's a few different ways you could go about this, but this is how I would do it... assuming you're using /opt/toolchains/dc/ as the folder for all of your dcdev stuff.

I'll use ALdc as an example... Clone and build it:

Code: Select all

git clone https://gitlab.com/simulant/aldc.git /opt/toolchains/dc/aldc
cd /opt/toolchains/dc/aldc
mkdir builddir
cd builddir
cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../toolchains/Dreamcast.cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
make
Then, in your project's Makefile, add in the directories where the compiled .a file was placed, and where the headers are located...

CFLAGS += -I/opt/toolchains/dc/aldc/include
LDFLAGS += -L/opt/toolchains/dc/aldc/builddir
Now add the library name in the (e.g. -lALdc) compilation target for your output ELF file, just before the $(KOS_LIBS)

$(TARGET): $(OBJS) romdisk.o
        $(KOS_CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(TARGET) $(KOS_START) \
                $(OBJS) romdisk.o $(OBJEXTRA) -lALdc $(KOS_LIBS)

Should be similar for GLdc, though you might want to be careful and uninstall the one from kos-ports in case of conflict. I haven't used SDL-dreamhal personally, there's a few repos on Ian Michaels github but they have sample folders with projects containing Makefiles so you should be able to peek in them and see what he did as a reference.

Sometime this week I'll add an article on dreamcast.wiki for this
These users thanked the author |darc| for the post (total 3):
1337Memorix101Ian Robinson
It's thinking...
octoate
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Install GLdc, ALdc and SDL-dreamhal in KOS

Post by octoate »

Thanks. That works for ALdc. However that does not work with GLdc because it uses the headers of libGL of the KOS_LIBS. If I just remove or rename libGL, it is possible to compile GLdc.

Are there any libs in kos-ports that require the shipped "libGL" or is it okay to just remove the libGL folder and the symbolic link in "lib"?
Sometime this week I'll add an article on dreamcast.wiki for this
That would be awesome. I guess I am not the only one who is stumbling upon this topic :).