Question about Sega's VMU

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Question about Sega's VMU

Post by Chalavet »

I was not too sure whether I should have posted this in the hardware sec. or here; but since this is not about modification, here it is.

Can anyone drop some knowledge on how much memory is packed in the 200 block Sega VMU?
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Each block is 512 bytes (half a kilobyte large), so a 200 block VMU gives you 100kilobytes of space.

The actual VMU itself contains 256 block (or 128 kilobytes) of storage - Of the 56 blocks, one block is used to contain basic information about how the VMU is formatted, one is used for the file allocation table, thirteen are used for directory information, and the remaining 41 are, strangely, completely unused.

I really don't know why, perhaps it's used internally by the VMU firmware, but I've never known of anything being stored in that range.

Bleem reformats the VMU (or other memory card) to use all 256 blocks, as a real PSX would (it also uses 128kbyte memory cards), so the extra blocks -can- be used.