Impossible PSO for Xbox?

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Impossible PSO for Xbox?

Post by legit nyck »

Hi hunters
I read some articles on pso & xbox... Is that right? Were you able to do that feat?
If that's right please tell me how to play on Xbox,
Also in which version 360, X-series, Xbox first version,
That's if the pso can be played on xbox tell me how... Thank you very much ^_^
Ps: I was going to send this message in the Pso questions and **** but as I have a message not answered there I decided to open this so as not to mess things up Lol
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Impossible PSO for Xbox?

Post by BlueCrab »

Sylverant does support the Xbox version of PSO, however it is not currently possible for normal users to connect.

PSO for Xbox requires Xbox Live. There is a project that is trying to reimplement original Xbox Live called Insignia that is currently in development. Once Insignia is opened to the public, you will be able to use it to play on an original Xbox (Insignia will not support the Xbox 360, so it will require an original Xbox, not an Xbox 360).

You can find a few videos showing off PSO for Xbox support on the Sylverant Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvuLrB ... jMWmL3kZaw

In addition, someone else on the server recorded a video where I was testing out some cross-play between Xbox and Gamecube here: https://youtu.be/7U7bRgZ42jM
These users thanked the author BlueCrab for the post:
legit nyck
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

dammit...this is surreal Wow...congratulations I have the Xbox360 locked/original and I'll be online with you guys soon thank you so much for giving this amazing release to pso fans cg
Lexaraj
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lexaraj »

We're there any noteworthy issues present when testing Gamecube and Xbox cross play? I noticed the desync in the video but wasn't sure if that was due to the cross play or Insignia issues.

Also, outside of what's been tested, are there any anticipated issues when crossplaying between Gamecube and Xbox? Or is the hope/plan for there to be full compatibility between the two?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aleron Ives »

There are lots of problems caused by Xbox using different packets than GC does. Each packet has to be documented, and the server has to have new functionality to translate between GC/XB formats. Much more testing would be needed to achieve full compatibility, but it's probably possible.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

I'm going to ask you a maybe silly question here, but... how will we download this Pso? The xbox360 browser doesn't work... and this game will be made available on xbox live is that? Download the virtual media and after that use the server ip to connect as we did before in pso dc?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The only supported way of connecting will be using an actual legitimate, unmodified DVD of the game on an original Xbox (not an Xbox 360).

The setup for Insignia will take care of any issues connecting to Sylverant itself.
These users thanked the author BlueCrab for the post:
legit nyck
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

Thanks for the information
Keith_mild_aspergers
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Keith_mild_aspergers »

So does that mean a xbox emulator might work well it would have to be a special patch as i'm using pso for dreamcast emulator.

Wondering putting a backup saved does that mean I can grab the save from sylverant?. Was thinking possible with my dreamcast.
Chracter: Retrokeith ranger
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Keith_mild_aspergers wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:11 pm So does that mean a xbox emulator might work well it would have to be a special patch as i'm using pso for dreamcast emulator.
No idea whether it will work, but the only thing that I'll "officially" support is playing the game directly from a legitimate disc on an actual console.
Wondering putting a backup saved does that mean I can grab the save from sylverant?. Was thinking possible with my dreamcast.
No, this is not possible to do with a server-side save.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BlueCrab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am The only supported way of connecting will be using an actual legitimate, unmodified DVD of the game on an original Xbox (not an Xbox 360).

The setup for Insignia will take care of any issues connecting to Sylverant itself.
Does Xbox PSO require a unique HDD encryption key to work properly online? A lot of Xboxes repaired these days have the HDD key stored in their EEPROM nulled to all 1s for preventative maintenance (20 yr old HDD dies, no way of using the Xbox again without hardmodding unless you already softmodded and backed up your key). I've heard that using 1s over 0s will allow Insignia to work, but doing this could apparently cause trouble with certain games that use the HDD key for in-game functions like Forza.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Eviltaco64X wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:00 pm
BlueCrab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am The only supported way of connecting will be using an actual legitimate, unmodified DVD of the game on an original Xbox (not an Xbox 360).

Does Xbox PSO require a unique HDD encryption key to work properly online? A lot of Xboxes repaired these days have the HDD key stored in their EEPROM nulled to all 1s for preventative maintenance (20 yr old HDD dies, no way of using the Xbox again without hardmodding unless you already softmodded and backed up your key). I've heard that using 1s over 0s will allow Insignia to work, but doing this could apparently cause trouble with certain games that use the HDD key for in-game functions like Forza.
I don't have an answer to that unfortunately. I suspect that PSO doesn't use that key for anything special, but I cannot say for sure as it isn't something I've tested.