Oh no, not again -- Hurricane Ida

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Oh no, not again -- Hurricane Ida

Post by |darc| »

Damnit. Fuck.
It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Oh no, not again -- Hurricane Ida

Post by Eviltaco64X »

The worst we got my way was some mild flooding. It was a lot worse to the north and east -- major sections of NYC and Philly flooded, tornadoes in NJ. I heard large parts of New Orleans are still working to get power back. Hope all is well.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

@darc

How did things pan out? Displaced?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

We're all good.

My wife and I rode things out on the Northshore (across the lake from New Orleans). We lost power there and had to deal with bottled water for everything (boil-water orders for the tap water) while also having to deal with a heat advisory warning.

We got back into town like 36 hours after the Hurricane and thank goodness we only had some fence issues (a chain link fence fell over and I lost some boards in my front yard gate) and a lot of limbs blew off of our backyard tree. We threw out anything in the fridge that had perished in the 36 hrs without power.

We had a generator available to us but gasoline was in short supply so it was very difficult to play this game of driving around risking consuming gas so that you can find more gas to fill up your gas tanks so you can buy more time with the air conditioners, and more importantly, freezers full of food. Sitting in line for literally hours to get gas without a guarantee they won't run out before you get to the front of the line fucking sucks.

When COVID started I gave up fast food and lost 45 pounds eating lowcarb, mostly farm-to-table meat and veggies from local organic regenerative farms. I had a whole chest freezer full of great beef, pork, goat, chicken, and duck and a big stock of meals I cooked and vacuum sealed over the past few months. That shit's not cheap though and I didn't want to lose the good meat and all that invested time but eventually I had to cut my losses and take as much as I could fit in my car and left to stay with my wife's family in Texas.

We did that for a week until my home router started responding to ping Tuesday night. We drove back in Wednesday and now we're sitting in the AC and playing video games.

Ultimately just had a fuckton of inconvenience for 2 weeks and lost several weeks' worth of food and prep. Obviously this is fucking nothing compared to what I had to go through for Katrina (9-10ft of floodwater in my house), but it still fucking sucks to have happen to you. And of course there are many who did end up with catastrophic effects from this hurricane, I'm just not one of them this time, thank fuck.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about next is that my fridge is empty of food except a bunch of fast food leftovers we got yesterday. Hearing that the grocery shelves are scarce, and the hours are limited, gonna try to do a grocery run and see if there's anything good to stock up on because after eating fast food for a week I feel like shit and I'm ready to eat something real.

Really have to hand it to the linemen who came from around the country to rebuild the grid here. I thought there was no way we'd have power on and sitting around at home within a month, but here I am.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

Wooof. I can't imagine what that must have been like; but I'm glad to hear that people are safe and doing well. Losing that meat stash SUCKS. Are you and your SO's (wife?) work life going to be impacted severely?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista