PowerVR API vs OpenGL

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
spencer723
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

PowerVR API vs OpenGL

Post by spencer723 »

Hi all, I've started my foray into DC dev and I had a question about the PowerVR API in KallistiOS and OpenGL. Since the OpenGL that is supported for the DC doesn't really translate into modern OpenGL methods (no shaders, no VBO, etc.) I figured it might be more fun to go in-depth with the PowerVR API.

My question is, is there any good documentation for the functionality of the PowerVR chip and API? Is it worth my time to try and learn PVR over OpenGL? From what I could tell, it seems like rendering with the PVR API is similar to OpenGL's immediate mode but with extra features like the ability to use paletted sprites and such. Theoretically, the PVR API should perform better (if I knew what I was doing :P ) than OpenGL, right? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: PowerVR API vs OpenGL

Post by mrneo240 »

You're looking for free and legal docs?
spencer723
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by spencer723 »

mrneo240 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:33 am You're looking for free and legal docs?
Preferably :) . Even information/tutorials about how the PVR API works in KallistiOS would be nice. I found the Doxygen docs with the list of methods and structures, but there isn't much information on how to use them. I don't need something so in-depth that describes the registers, etc. It would be nice to know what the hardware supports and what features the PVR API supports.
spencer723
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by spencer723 »

For example, there are many samples for GLdc and I was hoping that there was something similar for the PVR API. If not, maybe I should stick to GLdc since there will be OpenGL 1.2 tutorials online plus these samples :?
Ian Robinson
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ian Robinson »

Best pvr demo sample i have seen is this

https://youtu.be/VG5DQ4NJYh4

https://mega.nz/file/Z3pxSSpB#pMqccZxP8 ... VqdZxktKiw source code there

full pvr demo by tashi
These users thanked the author Ian Robinson for the post (total 2):
spencer723nymus