COVID 19 Thread

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

COVID 19 Thread

Post by Specially Cork »

Can't believe there isn't one. This is the perfect time to catch up with our DCEmu buddies.

How are you all holding up? I've been working at home for three weeks already. I'm quite outdoorsy so definitely feeling a bit trapped.

Although I'm mostly jealous of these people that have been furloughed and get to sit at home all day watching Netflix on 80% pay. If anything, we're busier than we were before and I'm spending less time gaming and watching Netflix.

How about you guys?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: COVID 19 Thread

Post by |darc| »

I stay at home anyway, so it's not like I am missing getting out much. But my girlfriend's work project is put on hiatus due to this, and we got 2 weeks' free pay for it, but without knowing what's going to happen long term, my anxiety has made me go into extreme penny-pinching mode.

We've been saving money to run off somewhere to vacation for a couple weeks and get married at the same time, like a Vegas wedding or something (at first we joked about it but the more we joked about it we kinda wanted to do the Vegas thing semi-ironically). So the good news is that we have some money set aside to weather this, but we've sort of turned this into a "pre-marriage honeymoon staycation" type thing, just enjoying each others company, catching up on all the housework/domestic projects we've been putting off, etc.

Right now we're on like day 4 of playing Civ VI Gathering Storm for literally all day long except eating and shitting breaks, using the Historic speed mod where basically you can play all day just getting through 2 eras.
It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

It's usually quiet where I live. Tons of houses and an ever-increasing amount of car traffic but not a lot of people outside. Everyone's at work, so no one's around. The past few weeks, it's been the exact opposite. Car traffic is way down. People are hanging out in their yards, riding bikes, kids are playing outside etc etc. It's nice.

I have to be on-site to handle emergencies at my job and it's "life-sustaining" so I'm still going into work. I'd rather not.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I teach college classes which have been moved completely online... So work wise, things are a bit awkward (it's really different lecturing to a computer screen and webcam than it is standing in front of a lecture hall), but otherwise work is still there. I'm spending a lot less on gas and food because I'm not going to work, so there's at least that side benefit.

The rest of my family all has jobs they still have to go to, and they've been holding up fine for the most part (other than complaining about the idiot customers they have to deal with -- which is mostly normal anyway).

As has already been said here, there's a lot more people out in their yards and whatnot and a lot less car traffic... But to be honest, there's more car traffic when I do venture out now than before our governor put his stay-at-home order into effect.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BlueCrab wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 am I teach college classes which have been moved completely online... So work wise, things are a bit awkward (it's really different lecturing to a computer screen and webcam than it is standing in front of a lecture hall), but otherwise work is still there. I'm spending a lot less on gas and food because I'm not going to work, so there's at least that side benefit.

The rest of my family all has jobs they still have to go to, and they've been holding up fine for the most part (other than complaining about the idiot customers they have to deal with -- which is mostly normal anyway).

As has already been said here, there's a lot more people out in their yards and whatnot and a lot less car traffic... But to be honest, there's more car traffic when I do venture out now than before our governor put his stay-at-home order into effect.
Most of my family has been able to work from home. I think I'm the only one left who still has to go out. For their sake, I've gotten pretty good at routinely sanitizing, social distancing, wearing facemasks in high traffic areas - all that stuff. In a way, it's like having to reconsider how you hold silverware every time you eat something. Silly at a glance, ultimately maddening.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

Here in Japan, people are still not taking it seriously. Yea schools are closed, and the government has nicely asked businesses to close, but that just has tons of people out and about. So many people are just continuing business as usual. It's actually quite maddening.

I am at least in the lucky situation of running my own business, so I could shut the doors and move all operations online. My partner and I started preparing for this about a month ago in anticipation of shit hitting the fan. It was a good thing we did.

Ironically I am actually spending MORE time at work during this shutdown, due to how much more time and effort it takes to do everything. I usually would go home to visit my family in the states in the summer, but that is obviously not going to happen at this point. I am just doing my best to avoid people as much as possible. Morning bike to work, night bike home, and go to the grocery store around 11PM so there are not many people there.
I did put my gym membership on hold (actually due to a recent broken clavicle and shoulder surgery, but i'll keep it paused for awhile.) That's actually what has been bothering me, is weight gain from a month of not working out or moving around as much.

Stay safe yall.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Maturion
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maturion »

Here in Germany, we're already talking about (gradually) lifting the lockdown. Doesn't seem to responsible to me, but then again, there's the economy. And I understand the pain small businesses feel right now...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well, our lockdown has been extended for three weeks.

My employer has furloughed all but five people on the business side of things as the government will pay 80% of their wages and they only need to top up the remaining 20%. They're basically getting a month off on full pay.

Of course I'm in the five people still stuck working and now I'm busier than ever. I'm just hoping this is remembered by the bosses in some way in the future.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

what has everybody been up to the last 3 months.
Im ford=cing myself to play Apex Legends with these 10 year olds.
I guess its the PR needed for Sherman Oaks based Respawn Entertainment, and all their Call of Duty glory.
Things aren't really adding up as much.
Bits and pieces are getting erased on a daily.
Visited Seattle during April, heres to looking it has a effect for Microsoft, who knows, its been a ghost town.
And were in the city, where everything is suppose to be bigger, turns out smaller. Heading to Vegas for July 4th, Im no republican, you know how them secret society obsessed nut cases go.
Afterwards, heading down to Mexico (Baja) and thot away in the nightlife, cause Icky Thump has no place in a world like ours.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I've been working from home from mid-March, in lots of ways it's been cool being at home, no commute, more time with my family, slightly more flexibility on how I set out my day. I'm fairly introverted in the sense that I recharge my batteries being on my own, but I am definitely missing catching up with mates at the pub and talking nonsense.

I've had a minor pay cut for 3 months but all in all, I'm relatively lucky in comparison to lots of people I know who've had fairly sizeable cuts or been made redundant, I'm really glad I'm not trying to job hunt right now.

Our government have monumentally fucked it. Utter shithouses.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 pmOur government have monumentally fucked it. Utter shithouses.
Agreed, but could be worse. The numbers coming out of the US are shocking. Just heard that Disney World has reopened, despite the current situation being worse than when they shut. Mental.
dreamCloud
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dreamCloud »

I haven't been on this forum in years and years but recently unboxed my DreamCast collection to finally finish making custom pro-level DVD sleeve inserts to replace all the jewel cases that broke in transit during one move and finally get around to replacing a broken controller board I recently tracked down a replacement part for.

Decided to check back here and saw this thread. I actually got covid-19 in March (I'm in the US and got it despite social distancing, wearing masks and gloves, and religious amounts of handwashing) and was sick with the virus for about 2 weeks, got better, then got 2 co-infections afterwards that hit my weakened immune system and almost did me in. Alive and kicking though, I've been sick for 3 1/2 months now :/. Can't wait for this to be over. Thankful that I can work from home and play video games though. Some I know don't have it that lucky.
JastrebJ21
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JastrebJ21 »

Nobody in Russia, apart from the city of Moscow, took the lockdown seriously; the "mask rule" in shops means "wear a mask when you're in front of the cashier", and apart from that, almost nobody wears one, and everyone kept going out every day as if nothing happened even in the peak months of April and May.
Add that to the fact that I'm working from home, and I haven't noticed much of a difference when comparing the current situation to the pre-COVID times.
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

Hello how are you all? Did they survive the plague? Are you still playing pso? 😆😆😆
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

legit nyck wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:48 am Hello how are you all? Did they survive the plague? Are you still playing pso? 😆😆😆
I'm pretty happy that an English-language version PSO2 is finally out on Steam.
I played on the Japanese servers for a little bit in 2014 with a bunch of patches after it was evident that a western release wasn't happening and it was a huge pain to setup. It finally showed up 8 years late but as a Microsoft Store exclusive. Fortunately(?) people ran into enough trouble downloading it from the MS Store that they just put it on Steam.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

The walls are closing in, and the light at the end of tunnel is looking farther with each passing day.
Checked out Seattle back in March(was suppose to a few years ago, due to hard times and unfornunate circumstances, didn't happen.) This time I said f-- it and just went with the flow, Though most was closed, it'd be nice to move out there. Stayed near downtown, tried to find a hispanic community. These dayz hooked up the ouya, and playing away translated snes roms that never got the light of day in the states. SEGA considering a dc mini. I'm just throwing SEGAGA in the air, since this community is what kept the dream alive(better or worse), it continued with xbox-scene and the latter.
Will post a pic or two. Wanted to check out the statue of greek nymph Echo.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well, we're back in an almost full lockdown again now for a month.

It blows my mind that 8 months later we're now back to square one. I remember everyone in March saying China was re-opening again after 2 months so we'd just have to put up with it til May and then things would go back to normal.

Still working from home, everywhere apart from supermarkets shut, and probably going to be banned from seeing any family at Christmas. What a shitter.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Try being stuck in a God forsaken country for a year without seeing your family, you'll have an entirely new perspective of 'What a shitter' in no time.
Across the Universe
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

DCDayDreamer wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:38 pm Try being stuck in a God forsaken country for a year without seeing your family, you'll have an entirely new perspective of 'What a shitter' in no time.
I am actually in the United States and its felt like a god forsaken country for the last 4 years. Covid19 just made it worse.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Staff is divided per week, so working at home and going to the office every other week. Luckily there hasn't been a general lockdown in all of the pandemic and economic activity is picking up.