The Last Mission (Dreamcast port)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

The Last Mission (Dreamcast port)

Post by gameblabla »

Hello there, i'm back. (more or less)

It's been a while since i have not ported anything to the Dreamcast so i have decided
to port "The Last Mission" remake by Dmitry Smagin.

Download
Sauce

It controls and works fine on my Dreamcast but since i have no way to hear sounds
(got no speakers for now), it may or may not sound glitchy.
Let me know if you encounter any issue.

Version 1.1 (August 15th 2022) :
- Improved performance
- Now uses CDDA music. (No sound through SD adapter as a result but this was necesarry for better performance. Maybe i'll switch to ADX like Ganbare)
Last edited by gameblabla on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author gameblabla for the post:
UndeadDC
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Last Mission (Dreamcast port)

Post by Indiket »

Hi again gameblabla!! Always a pleasure seeing you again! ^^

Very good news! This game is a "clasico" for us, spaniards, so that's double bonus hehe. I'll try on emu first to see if sound is OK, and do the usual small report :)

Update: Tested on emu, music OGG is fine, WAV is a completely broken as happened with Tail-Tale (zouzz could you record some footage)?

Also, another issue: in windows version you can hold the fire button so the machine keeps shooting but overheat is increasing. This does not happen on DC, where only can shoot once each time I pressed and hold the fire button :(
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote:Update: Tested on emu, music OGG is fine, WAV is a completely broken as happened with Tail-Tale (zouzz could you record some footage)?
Also, another issue: in windows version you can hold the fire button so the machine keeps shooting but overheat is increasing. This does not happen on DC, where only can shoot once each time I pressed and hold the fire button :(
Thanks Indiket for testing, i have re-uploaded a new version and fixed this !
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Nice!! I tested again on emu and WAV sound much better now. And overheat now works as expected! :)

Here's something new I discovered and you will be impressed!! :D
If you leave the game in the attraction menu for, at least, 30 seconds (or 1 minute moreless), then the game starts automatically doing a demo mode.

Unfortunately, in DC version the timings are wrong (at least, on emu), and soon you will see that movements are not correct. The ship will die very soon, making all the remaining demo nonsense (compare with Win version, there is perfect-timing so the ship does not die and continues into its perfect party). Can you please take a look into it? Do you think it can be corrected? :) If no fix can be done, maybe will be better to disable it?

Btw, does it uses VMU in any part? Does it has saves? I can't even pass first level hehehe :)
Last edited by Indiket on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote:Nice!! I tested again on emu and WAV sound much better now. And overheat now works as expected! :)
I still have to test on real hard, but the port seems done! Btw, does it uses VMU in any part? Does it has saves? I can't even pass first level hehehe :)
Great to hear it runs better !
And no, i looked all over the source code but it does not seem to have saves...
I can't pass the first level either... One life and you start all over again, what the hell ?
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Hey gameblabla!! Sorry I edited my post when you were typing your answer xD
Take a look at my previous post (issue with attract mode), thanks!!
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote: Unfortunately, in DC version the timings are wrong (at least, on emu), and soon you will see that movements are not correct. The ship will die very soon, making all the remaining demo nonsense (compare with Win version, there is perfect-timing so the ship does not die and continues into its perfect party). Can you please take a look into it? Do you think it can be corrected? :) If no fix can be done, maybe will be better to disable it?
Sorry, that won't be an easy fix due to the differences in video timing.
I will just leave it as it is i think but if you think that's really an issue, i can disable it.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Yep, it is as I thought. I played all the demo on Win and it lasts 5 minutes (the ship also dies, I mean, its not a perfect gameplay and probably a bit long xD).

So, here are my 4 proposals. Pick the one that suits better for you ;)

- Modify the demo to adjust to Dreamcast video timings.
- Records a new demo using the Dreamcast version (or with PC maybe). Dunno if the game has some flag to record games?
- Do this thing: start the attract mode normally but when the ship dies, just return immediately to home screen (instead of continue). So it will be a shorter demo but still OK.
- Or just disable it.

If it's not possible to do one of the 3 first options, then I prefer disabling it that just leave it as it is now, because then it seems a buggy port :(
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote:Yep, it is as I thought. I played all the demo on Win and it lasts 5 minutes (the ship also dies, I mean, its not a perfect gameplay and probably a bit long xD).

So, here are my 4 proposals. Pick the one that suits better for you ;)

- Modify the demo to adjust to Dreamcast video timings.
- Records a new demo using the Dreamcast version (or with PC maybe). Dunno if the game has some flag to record games?
- Do this thing: start the attract mode normally but when the ship dies, just return immediately to home screen (instead of continue). So it will be a shorter demo but still OK.
- Or just disable it.

If it's not possible to do one of the 3 first options, then I prefer disabling it that just leave it as it is now, because then it seems a buggy port :(
I have chose to disable it, most people won't notice it anyways.
Reuploaded the new version with the disabled demo.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Ok gameblabla, no more issues :) . Game is very playable and challenging, good job!
I'll post it on Dreamcast.es for sure!
brmanuk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by brmanuk »

gameblabla wrote:Hello there, i'm back. (more or less)

It's been a while since i have not ported anything to the Dreamcast so i have decided
to port "The Last Mission" remake by Dmitry Smagin.

Download
Sauce

It controls and works fine on my Dreamcast but since i have no way to hear sounds
(got no speakers for now), it may or may not sound glitchy.
Let me know if you encounter any issue.
Any chance of a re-up?
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

brmanuk wrote: Any chance of a re-up?
Sorry for the trouble, here it is :
EDIT: See first post for updated link
Last edited by gameblabla on Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brmanuk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by brmanuk »

Nice, thanks!
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Updated the game to improve performance as it was a bit lackluster you could say ;P
I've also switched the game to CDDA music so unfortunately this means no sound for SD card users.
Maybe i'll provide a version with ADX instead if someone asks... As it is, it works on GDEMU and CD.
You can find the download link above (first post)
These users thanked the author gameblabla for the post (total 2):
Ian RobinsonUndeadDC