MGC 2014 Hypertension Reveal

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

MGC 2014 Hypertension Reveal

Post by cube_b3 »

I have been disappointed by the lack of MGC coverage, it was supposed to be a grand event but without a press release highlighting what we should be excited about the show lost all momentum and there was essentially a media black out.

The main draw for the event was Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness along with Dynamite Dreams.

Up until earlier this week we had nor heard or seen anything.

On 14th May GSP revealed the trailer for Hypertension.
Oddly today, on 19th may a few days after the trailer reveal attendee recorded footage of Hypertension reveal made it's way on to the internet.
If only this was shown before the trailer.
Oh well, better late than never, I guess.

Check out the reveal:

> Dan Loosen talks origins of MGC
> Dan talks DC Tonic and start of GSP
> Dan reiterates the goal of GSP is not to make money, but help homebrew developers become mainstream developers
> Dan talks about GSP's future and expansion on the Atari Jaguar front
> Dan invites Jason Johnson to discuss Hypertension
> Jason Johnson reads his presentation from notes on a notepad
> Jason explains Hypertension has been in development for over 6 years
> Jason discusses TDG's evolution to ISOTOPE
> Jason evasively talks about the failed Atari deal (the other publisher)
> Dan plays the trailer, only to have some technical sound error that was pretty funny
> Trailer plays, it is different from the one we have seen.
> Oddly video ends without a massive applause from the audience
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MGC 2014 Hypertension Reveal

Post by Corbin »

Jason did the best he could considering my flight got delayed then cancelled less than a day before the event, which threw the presentation down the wringer.

I was going to get on the stage and talk more about the engine advancements we've made (dynamic lighting, high-res texture support, real 3D models and 3D floors, extensive scripting engines, multiplayer, Half-Life Hub system, etc) but since I was unable to attend Jason had to read my disorganized notes. Essentially I had to write and combine his presentation that day and they left a lot out that I would have instead been presenting, but he did a good job nonetheless.

Watching the footage was incredibly cool, but tbh I think people didn't clap at the end because they might have been unnerved by the ending of the trailer. Probably a bad idea to include the reveal of David Firth's direct involvement in the game, but at least it made an impression. At least Eugene Jarvis loved it!

Trailer was different as I had more time to work on it, by the time it was finally released we had much more to show off.

Scourge was originally the one to be shown off but lots of technical issues at a last minute meeting about it ended pretty badly, so we decided to instead show Hypertension off, which is in concurrent development.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I loved what I saw.

It was nice to see what MGC was all about, even if it was through a cell phone camera or something.

As for Scourge, I want everyone to go buy Hypertension rather than get distracted and wait for Scourge. So I am fine with the absence of Scourge.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Was glad to see the trailer and this video. I have been looking forward to this game a lot. I am very surprised by this game, as it seems to have gone quite beyond just a simple mod. I loved first person shooters, but these days I can't stand the ones that are coming out. But I can't help but be excited by a retro style FPS. The split screen is a very very nice feature! I'll be preordering this of course.

I am really really curious about Scourge, but Hypertension will keep me distracted until we get more information on Scourge. I'm surprised to see the split-screen in hypertension, but with the current tools available would it be possible to get split screen in Scourge too?

I really should donate some money to these guys sometime in the near future. I felt bad for not preordering Wind and Water, as that was a indie game that broke the usual SHMUP model.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Hey guys, looks absolutely great. Team ES is really looking forward to playing this title... We grew up playing games like Duke Nukem and watching Evil Dead... So this hits us right in the feels.

Where can we buy/preorder?

Also, we are helping to promote you on our social media sites and with our YouTube presence. Best of luck, guys! Looks like a winner to us!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

There is an option to donate whenever the team puts out new goals on there Facebook page.

Unfortunately/fortunately GSP does not do pre-orders until the game has a locked release date.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Corbin »

Hey thanks Falco! That really means a lot to us. It's nice to finally engage with other developers. I have to say though, ES absolutely blows a lot of things that I've seen out of the water, you guys have a real gem with that. Your web series is really cool too, that's something I wish I did 6 years ago when this project got started.

We will do as much promoting as we can (just give us the word), though admittedly we don't have a large online presence anymore simply because development took so long and people moved on with their lives...lol
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Don't worry about the online presence, if the Dreamcast-Scene is united and respectful to each other, we are undoubtedly going to push things to the next level!