2014: Year of the Dreamcast (ClassicGameRoom.com)

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

2014: Year of the Dreamcast (ClassicGameRoom.com)

Post by Christuserloeser »

Classic Game Room officially declares that 2014 is the “Year of the Dreamcast”! This may be a surprise considering the Sega Dreamcast was released in 1999, but there is logic behind this proclamation. Let me explain…

2014 is the 15-year anniversary of the Sega Dreamcast video game console which continues to deliver strong performance, great value, new games and most importantly, lots of fun! Nobody could have imagined back in 1999 that new games would still be coming out for the Dreamcast, yet they are. And we’re talking about great games like Gunlord, Fast Striker and Sturmwind. Games that push the Dreamcast to the limit and deliver top shelf gaming experiences, amazing music, eye-shattering graphics and fantastic adventures – on 15-year-old hardware.

But wait, there’s more! Even though the Sega Dreamcast may have had a relatively short commercial lifespan (about 2 years), it boasts a massive software library filled with excellent games in a wide variety of genres. I’ve been collecting Dreamcast games for years and yet there are still lots of games out there I haven’t played.

The Dreamcast is a great system for collectors because of the mass of games that one can easily and, in most cases, affordably collect – games like Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Sword of the Berserk, Giga Wing, Seaman, Sega Bass Fishing, Space Channel 5, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Ferrari F355 Challenge, Grand Theft Auto 2, Hydro Thunder, Dynamate Deka 2, Airforce Delta, Sega Rally 2, and the list goes on and on and on….

So, is Mark just spewing fanboy crazy talk or is there any logic to this article whatsoever?

Read the full article here: http://classicgameroom.com/feature-article/?id=54
Insane homebrew collector.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2014: Year of the Dreamcast (ClassicGameRoom.com)

Post by TheRedFox »

Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I'm inclined to agree with him, but as someone who's posting on this forum I'm probably more than a little biased. There are definitely a lot of new releases supposedly slated for this year though, which makes it a pretty good candidate for year of the DC. Neo XYX, Redux: Dark Matters, Pier Solar. Maybe even The Ghost Blade, and many of the others mentioned in these recent news posts.
edit: except for the part about the Dreamcast being pushed to its limits. Neo XYX may be the most technically impressive Neo game, but the Dreamcast is way more powerful than the Neo. And Sturmwind has some of, if not the best art design of any dreamcast game (and it has some stiff competition, especially considering the era that the DC was alive in, JSR and shit), but Dead or Alive 2 it is not, in technical terms. I like that Duranik used some special effects though, bonus points for that.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
chao2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by chao2 »

I hope we get a 3d rpg or platformer this year.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheRedFox »

I'm thinking we'd hear about the beginnings of any big time intensive games like a 3D platformer or RPG a long time before release, but maybe an announcement this year. It's not entirely unbelievable considering that we've got a few 3D engines in various stages of development now. Although, why did nobody ever use Iris3D for anything (apart from the epitech demo)? Was there some huge issues with that engine? or was it more of a lack of interest?
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd