Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Post by Aleron Ives »

If they're bursting out of the team, they're in the lobby, because that's their destination. If they're bursting into a team, they're in the team, because that's their destination. ;) New teammates appear in the list of of players when you press X at the lobby counter, even if they're not done busting yet, after all. They don't vanish for 20 seconds. :P

Of course, Sega never had this problem with Choice Search, because it was limited to people in the lobby. The Simple Mail problem shouldn't have existed, though. You would just get the message when you were done loading. It wouldn't have vanished into the ether, AFAIK. I certainly don't remember anyone ever asking me why I didn't reply to a phantom message, and you can still get mail when you're loading an area. It wouldn't make sense to deflect messages if you're loading a quest or loading into Forest 2, or something.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Been thanked: 0

Post by KuromoriYu »

Some suggestions:

Auto-Friend-Add for lazy bastards like myself:
Step 1: Servercommand "/startfriendadd" - puts Server in listen mode
Step 2: search for your Guild-Cards from PSO (Server will log all search-requests, and add the reqeusted GC-number to friendlist....no name obviously, unless that is included in search-request....name could be set to current users Name, if online. or maybe last user connected with GC#?)
Step 3: Servercommand "/endfriendadd" - Ends Server GC-search listen mode.

Some EP-Related suggestions:
Mark games which are lead by EP - either by color-scheme, or in "X" Infos, so that V2 users who would prefer to stay at abmysal Sega-Rates (like me) could do so, and simply ignore the items in those games.

Probably Altimira only:
- /sdrops --> it would be nice to be able to have "original" sega-rates at least as an option. (About the quest-drops, probably uber-rares should be disabled (like enemy parts) in quests.)

Greetings to all my fellow hunters
Kuromori Yu
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

KuromoriYu wrote:Some suggestions:

Auto-Friend-Add for lazy bastards like myself:
Step 1: Servercommand "/startfriendadd" - puts Server in listen mode
Step 2: search for your Guild-Cards from PSO (Server will log all search-requests, and add the reqeusted GC-number to friendlist....no name obviously, unless that is included in search-request....name could be set to current users Name, if online. or maybe last user connected with GC#?)
Step 3: Servercommand "/endfriendadd" - Ends Server GC-search listen mode.
I'm not sure I see the utility in this? Plus, as you have alluded to, there's no name that could be associated with it when doing so (the server doesn't log any sort of last character name that was online, by the way).

Some EP-Related suggestions:
Mark games which are lead by EP - either by color-scheme, or in "X" Infos, so that V2 users who would prefer to stay at abmysal Sega-Rates (like me) could do so, and simply ignore the items in those games.
Unfortunately, detecting the EP isn't exactly an easy task. The only way to do something like this would be to institute a voluntary command people have to run (like the old /hack, /normal, and /legit commands on schtserv), which in all likelihood nobody would use.
Probably Altimira only:
- /sdrops --> it would be nice to be able to have "original" sega-rates at least as an option. (About the quest-drops, probably uber-rares should be disabled (like enemy parts) in quests.)
At the moment, each ship can only have one set of data for /sdrops configured per version (v1/v2/pc, gc, bb), so this isn't possible at the moment. That said, I'm probably going to work on that issue sometime soonish...
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

BlueCrab wrote: At the moment, each ship can only have one set of data for /sdrops configured per version (v1/v2/pc, gc, bb), so this isn't possible at the moment. That said, I'm probably going to work on that issue sometime soonish...
This is great, and it could also be used, to identify which sdrops are used on Team (In Info field "Drops: Server SEGA rate"), so we could at least know for sdrop games what droprates we will be facing.

About the lazy-bastard friendlist - it would be even nice to see "1234 connected to XXX" messages. also - about the Name, maybe the message could be formated like this: "User %s (%u) (current name %s)" has connected. where first %s is friendlist Name, %u GC#, second %s is current Name....I am talking without knowing what data the server has....but maybe it is possible....)

Greeting to all fellow Hunters
Yu
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It's really hard to put lots of information about the drops in the information window, because the DC font can only fit 19-20 characters on each line, we only have one line worth of space left to use, and we don't have enough information to make it worthwhile to add a third page of information. :x
"Fear the HUnewearl."
tellet
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tellet »

Is it possible to add server-bank for DC/PC? :) If its doable it will make the server unstable?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

tellet wrote:Is it possible to add server-bank for DC/PC? :) If its doable it will make the server unstable?
While theoretically possible to make something regarding a server-side bank on DC/PC (and Gamecube, for that matter), it requires a lot of work to be done server-side which I haven't had time to work on for a while. Unfortunately, real life and bugs people find tend to get in the way of my more ambitious plans. :wink:

It's in the long-term plans, but it probably won't happen for a while... At least not until a few other things are finished up in the code.
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

new server-command: "/offlinemessage [page]"

alternatively: fix the Login on the Homepage (it takes literally minutes(!!) to Login for me!)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

KuromoriYu wrote:new server-command: "/offlinemessage [page]"

alternatively: fix the Login on the Homepage (it takes literally minutes(!!) to Login for me!)
Not sure what you mean by either of these?

With regard to the latter one, I'm guessing you're having trouble with pages loading on the site? Unfortunately, someone (or some groups, who knows?) has been trying to DoS the server for quite a while. It seems to have gotten much better for me lately though...
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

command "/offlinemessages [page]":

- Shows unread offline-Messages, [page] Parameter: 0...n - Display unread mails page n

Now, after thinking about it, maybe [page] Parameter is stupid....probably Show all Messages, while fit in window, last line is either "End of unread Messages" or "More unread Messages on Server"

anyways - command does:
- Show unread Messages (maybe in Format [USER] : [MESSAGE])
- Marks Message as "read"

Regards
Kuromori
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Considering the messages were all sent with PSO in the first place, it would make more sense to simply send the mail itself when you log on instead of pestering you over and over to check the website.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:Considering the messages were all sent with PSO in the first place, it would make more sense to simply send the mail itself when you log on instead of pestering you over and over to check the website.
Until you have more than one page worth of mails and it floods off ones that you haven't seen.

After all, I think you were the one that brought that possibility up to my attention in the first place. :wink:

Plus, the website does keep additional metadata that all non-blue burst versions of PSO wouldn't be able to display (date/time the mail was sent). With offline messages, that might be important. :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It would be nice if it didn't spam you over and over and over to check the website, though. :P

IMO a more useful feature would be the ability to send mail from the website, e.g. if you see friends online and want to tell them to wait for you to boot the game. It's fairly common to see somebody waiting online, but by the time you're able to get there, the ship is empty. :( Wait for meeee! :oops:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:IMO a more useful feature would be the ability to send mail from the website, e.g. if you see friends online and want to tell them to wait for you to boot the game. It's fairly common to see somebody waiting online, but by the time you're able to get there, the ship is empty. :( Wait for meeee! :oops:
Unfortunately, that is a significantly harder problem to sort out. Basically, that would require the website to be able to directly communicate with the shipgate (or the ships themselves), which is currently not possible at all. Offline mails, as they stand, are completely passive -- mails simply get stored in the database when you're not online. Both the shipgate and the website have access to the database (along with the login server, but that's irrelevant here). Unfortunately, without having the shipgate constantly poll the database for new mails for each client that's online (which would waste a LOT of time), there's no way to use the database as a passthrough from the website to the game itself.

I'd like to eventually work out something where the website can communicate more directly with the shipgate, but at the moment that's not anywhere near a priority. :|
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Little Feature request:

Server command "/dice [n]", where [n] is a positive number.
The response should maybe be broadcast to all players in lobby (or maybe not cause of spammers?!)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Uh... I'm guessing you intend this to function as picking a random number between 0 and n inclusive, but what would be the point of it?
"Fear the HUnewearl."
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Isn't it obvious? to decide on the cmode stage....also - regular users here are probably no programers, so number would be from 1...n (inclusive)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Have you tried buying a real pair of dice? ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Here's an idea for the Sylverant front page. Could we get a way to see how many people have visited the front page or refreshed the player count within a certain length of time? Perhaps you could make it only display when the viewer is logged in, and it could show the names of others logged in who recently came by the page.

I play offline a lot because there's often no one to team with on the server. Of course I realize that my staying offline during those times is contributing to the problem, but my options for online play are sharply limited due to the levels of my characters (121, 87, 65, 19 at the moment) and of course the two-person gates basically forcing me to either play forest or sit in the lobby and wait. So I refresh the front page every so often, and it'd be nice to know if someone else is doing the same thing as I am so I'd know if it's worth it to sit in the lobby for awhile.
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

You can play online solo in other areas if:
1.) you play mines (can be played solo)
2.) you play quests (at least on Altimira most quests are single-player compatible)
If you do a quest, nobody can join, but a simple mail can still be sent to you (via choice-search result).

Thats what I do....I ONLY play offline to open areas for online.