SD Card

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ooze Orbs
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SD Card

Post by Ooze Orbs »

I was browsing through the front page and under the dreamshell article i saw this:

Added an application to install DreamShell into BIOS (if you have a bios mod). Now you can load DreamShell directly without disc with bios and SD card!

Updated library fatfs (to work with SD card) to the latest version

Ffdev - to work with the SD card

What is this talk about SD Cards? Can you now run homebrew games off an SD Card and if so how? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ooze Orbs
Christuserloeser

Re: SD Card

Post by Christuserloeser »

The adapter itself was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=98715

Sadly it never made it to mass production but I am sure quite a few individuals made their own. It is supported with releases by the Spanish and Russian scene, so if you browse http://dreamcast.es/news.php you'll notice that all of their recent releases feature SD support.
Insane homebrew collector.
Ooze Orbs
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ooze Orbs »

Ok thanks, i looked at that thread and found a page in Chinese that describes how to make one from scratch. Unfortunately i am not a great solderer and have no idea on where to start. I would like to know what my options are to test my homebrew games as i only have a 700mhz laptop and that's barely enough to run the emulator along. I don't have a lot of money and am very poor and would like to know my other options for testing my homebrew, other then buying a $300+ broadband adapter or looking for a non-existent coders cable.

Sincerely,

Ooze Orbs
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'd really recommend to save up for a decent laptop. Then you could run one of the emulators available and test your code. I think that should be the cheapest and overall best solution.
Insane homebrew collector.
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

both (the sd adapter and coders cable) can be built. They're neither expensive nor difficult to be built, but you need some -basic- soldering skills, time and patience.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

It's virtually impossible to get a plug for the serial port on the DC, so it's probably better to try to make the SD interface internal with the wires soldered to the PCB rather than making it external.

Even when a DC serial cable comes up on eBay, it usually sells for $100 or more... for a simple cable! :x