New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Luriden »

Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

*sigh* The thing that just pisses me off is the system is so frikin hansome and the controller looks like a 4 inch dildo without the addes are to make it look like a male organ. All I know is they BETTER let you use the cube controllers on Rev games like "Smash Bros Online" The wand thing is cool for baseball,sword slashers and FPSes that is it.

its nice that they are trying something new though. I mean if you have a damn thing that can't be controlled then how do they expect the system to sell? I remember the eye toy from sony, it was retarded. The power glove was pretty sweet I own mine the concept of bringing it back in a different form is awkward.

one last thing I hate is BATTERIES! I mean that will fucking suck when you use a controller and have to keep buying batteries for it, that is just so retarded. I suppose nintendo said "screw it" and said "ok, since the industry thinks we are just first party and no 3rd party support,so be it" I mean who is really going to develop for it? innovators possibly but sadly its won't work, people hate new things, I mean look at ds THEY HAVEN"T USED FULL POTENTIOL OF THE DAMN THING! DS is selling well though and I like it, lots of fun. I just think they should THINK stuff through before entering something different into the world.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I was watching the video number 6 posted, and I have to agree that people who don't play games are more liekly to pick up a remote control and use it intuitively (ever watch a non-gamer play a racing game, as they swing their controllers left and right to try and help them steer? That will actually work now :o ) than they are a controller loaded with buttons ("which ones fire? Okay, and whats jump again? Man, this sucks") but if Nintendos plan to get marketshare is to focus on people who've never really played games before, I don't know how well thats going to turn out for them, as people likely to have already 'gamed' before are the people who have the disposable income to buy new consoels and games etc
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

people likely to have already 'gamed' before are the people who have the disposable income to buy new consoels and games etc
They're the ones who are likely to spend their disposable income on games in the current market. Plenty of non-gamers have disposable income, and that's what Nintendo is going after. Nintendo, IMHO, has always been the most successful company at not alienating non-gamers, and thus the most successful at turning non-gamers into gamers. There was a great GameSpot article about this that basically made the point that if everyone just catered to gamers, the video game industry wouldn't last 10 years, because it would have zero mainstream appeal:
Joe Fielder, GameSpot.com wrote:Not so long ago, the distribution channels through which comic books were sold changed from supermarkets and convenience marts to primarily specialty shops, which tend to cater to established clientele quite well, but fail to lure in new readers. (100 Bullets' creator Brian Azzarello once said that comic shops are like bars, but the kind for hard-core drunks. Walk into either one casually and you'll see what he means immediately.)
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Travis of the Cosmos
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Travis of the Cosmos »

Hawke wrote:It's only got 1 analog, 1 d-pad and 'gaming' buttons by the look of it. I don't know why they're contempt of making controllers with less buttons than the competition. :?
Yah, I don't get that either. I think Nintendo's argrument is that having many buttons frightens and confuses people whom have never played video games and that this new setup will be very attractive to them. But for for people who have been playing games for the past couple of years they probably can handle 2 additional buttons to the current standard controllers.

I think they should have enough buttons so that when you turn it sideways it would be like the snes controller and not nes.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Anyone else getting flashbacks to soul calibur with the fishing rod when they talk of sword games & this controller?
I love the DEMO: PILOT WANGS though, a Nintendo answer to Stroker perhaps? :lol:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Hawq wrote:Anyone else getting flashbacks to soul calibur with the fishing rod when they talk of sword games & this controller?
I love the DEMO: PILOT WANGS though, a Nintendo answer to Stroker perhaps? :lol:
I remember you talking about that in IRC once, so I'm gonna buy one soon.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

just speculation: but i think what nintendo is figuring is that non-gamers will pick this up and be able to use it much easier with this controller like whats been stated already. but gamers will either already have a GC controller or atleast will get one and use that instead.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

If only they had a customizable control, where you could put the buttons where you wanted to. Now that would be sweet.

I think this will work great for all games. Fighting games might not make it so good, but like Nintendo said, you can connect the controller to additional devices for added functionality.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Dark Savant0 wrote:If only they had a customizable control, where you could put the buttons where you wanted to. Now that would be sweet.
There was talk of a series of "remote holders" which would transform the remote-controller into a normal gamepad.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Hawq wrote:Anyone else getting flashbacks to soul calibur with the fishing rod when they talk of sword games & this controller?
I'd been doing that for about a week after I got my fishing rod. Then when Iced Coffee Man came over, I accidently knocked my DC and SC disc off my coffee table and my DC landed corner first on the disc. Needless to say, I won't be playing SC much any more. :(
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

az_bont wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:If only they had a customizable control, where you could put the buttons where you wanted to. Now that would be sweet.
There was talk of a series of "remote holders" which would transform the remote-controller into a normal gamepad.
Yeah. That's a great a sigh of relief for me. IGN has a mock up pic of the game pad shell. pretty much, it'll be like loading a vmu into a dreamcast controller. Great news!!

Now we don't have to worry about multi-platform games :D
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Yeah, I'd much rather use this:

compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Hopefully, this shell will come standard with the console along with the analog stick add-on.

Yeah, I know the mock up looks stupid, but its not to scale either. If I'm feeling frisky, I might make a better mock-up. Does anyone know the dimensions to the remote?
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

did you guys forget something? the revolution will support standard gamecube controllers at launch. granted, it wont come with one, but most of you already have one and even if you dont, its not hard or expensive to get one.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm happy about this. We have to admit gaming is becoming repetitive on-screen and off. The only forseeable next jump was virtual reality and the talk of it has gone on for years (and seen its fair share of failures). This is the first step towards its mainstreaming.

If you can play PC games with a mouse and keyboard, this controller will be more than adaptable for you, especially with the promise of innovative motion sensors (I can't wait for swordplay).

Of course, your first reaction was, "This isn't normal, therefor it's useless and Nintendo is digging a grave." We thought that about the VMU leading up to DC launch--we thought that about rumble packs--we thought that about touch-screens--and many thought that about online gaming for consoles until Sega revolutionized it with stability and simplicity, and Microsoft perfected it with more features than you could wish for.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

hah, that was cool.

The Shell Makes me think the Revolution could be a sucess. You get the best of both worlds, a relativly normal controller, and a completely weird and wacky device that would be sweet for weird/party games
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

all it is, is nintendo trying to intoduce older people into gameing look at the video at least half the people are older than 30. they want it like a remote so that when lets say grandpa picks it up to change the channel from all this riffraff he actually makes a character move or do somthing intriuging to him. but if you ask me hell probably want to whatch the game instead. and for grandpa to play this his kid or grandkid has to get one becuase you dont see him going on internet message boards or going to the local ebgames or gamestop
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Saw these at the Lik-Sang forums. Almost certain they're fake, but they are a good example of how flexible the idea could be