who thinks i should email sega for there server softwere

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.

do u think i should e-mail sega for there server softwere

yea
82%
no
18%
mybe
No votes

Total votes: 28
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MystiK »

I don't mind learning japanese but not primarily to play games. I might as well stamp LOSER on my forehead. It's easier to search on the net for the translated game scripts and walkthroughs, print them out and use them every time you play the game.
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

MystiK wrote:I don't mind learning japanese but not primarily to play games. I might as well stamp LOSER on my forehead. It's easier to search on the net for the translated game scripts and walkthroughs, print them out and use them every time you play the game.
yep, that's what i do when i wanna play Fire Pro Wrestling D :D
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

MystiK wrote:I don't mind learning japanese but not primarily to play games. I might as well stamp LOSER on my forehead.
WTF kind of crazy notion is this?

You might as well stamp IGNORANT ASS on your forehead right now instead.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

i dont know if its been mentioned, but if you DO ask for the software, make sure u spell software right :wink:
title of thread wrote: who thinks i should email sega for there server softwere
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

pissed off dc owner wrote:i dont know if its been mentioned, but if you DO ask for the software, make sure u spell software right :wink:
well since we're picking on the title of the topic, it'd be "their" rather than "there" ;)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

heh, in any case. if sega DID release their server software, that'd be pretty sweet! but i dunno, just doesnt seem like it would happen. BUT i will remain optimistic

doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

--- OFFTOPIC ---
Learning japanese is a lot more than learning the language. To speak japanese correctly you must also learn the way japanese people think, their history, etc. It's amazing, I love it, but it's a very time consuming task, and I don't have that time.
--- OFFTOPIC ---
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

WTF kind of crazy notion is this?

You might as well stamp IGNORANT ASS on your forehead right now instead.
Crazy notion? Go and randomly take 10 people off the street now and ask them if they would do that. That wasnt a subliminal diss for you. I didnt even know you read japanese. Your reaction hints that what I said was true.
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
vashSG
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by vashSG »

ok so the votes are in i will email sega in 1 day i and i will make sure to spell all the words right lol

an anycase i hope they do reply or i will keep emailing them
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i got my reply from sega today. it was a redirect to a different e-mail address that they dont have on their main site, and i am going to foward my current e-mail to that address and see what happens.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

READING JAPANESE:
yeah, if you are going to learn it JUST to play video games, that is pretty losery!

im all for learning new languages, i learnt greek in primary school (cant speak it now tho) and german in high school. i wouldve learnt japanese instead, but was convinced to learn german :x

my HS had real hardcore mangas in the jap room top! :evil:

anyway, if you are learning another language to: a) wanting to learn a new language. b) have a desire to learn of a new culture and their way of living, etc. c) want to speak to japanese ppl. d) want to go to japan

then i have no reason to call someone a loser. but to learn it, and spend all that time on it, JUST to play video games.... :| :lol:

Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

a) wanting to learn a new language
oh, btw, i meant "wanting to learn a new language for the purpose of knowing it" not JUST for 1 specific reason as lame as playing video games. if you know it for another GOOD reason, and you just happen to know it when u play a game, thats another thing then.

The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

The bottom line is if you've learnt a new language you've learnt a new language, To hear people critisize this by aiming a singular reason for this as any kind of negative just shows how deep down superficial and downright backward some peoples views are.

Some of you peoples discerning ability really knows no bounds, I go to Japan every other year for the TGS and spend a fair bit of time in Tokyo and Osaka so kindly take your ignorant bigotry elsewhere.
MystiK wrote:Go and randomly take 10 people off the street now and ask them if they would do that.
Why should people that want to learn have to be stunted and compared to a majority?

The whole majority rules mentality that people have is utterly retarded.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

stick it to 'im Henrick

c'mon people, understand that reference... i dare ya! lol
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

pissed off dc owner wrote:i dont know if its been mentioned, but if you DO ask for the software, make sure u spell software right :wink:
Lol @ pissed off dc owner, i was pmsl when i read ur reply here and i never even realised he mispelled Software until you brought it to light, good point. :lol:

On the quzar point about releasing an Updated DC sure why not.

The one thing that really pi$$ed me off about Sega is that they never really got behind and supported the DC homebrew scene.

Now im not Sony lover but i have to admire them when they released The Yarozee (I think that's how it was spelt) for homebrew games and demo's.

They had a very sucessful console the PSX and supported ppl by making this machine, now if Sega would have given our scene a bit of support who knows maybe supplying customised SDK for the homebrew scene maybe the DC wouldnt have died such a death so quick but Sega more or less pretty much turned its back on the DC when things were looking bad.

I think Sega's console downfall was from the Saturn onwards. I had the megaDrive (Genesis in the U.S) i loved that console and it was quite successful. however Sega went through a stage of trying to rip off its userbase by releasing the Mega-CD (Sega CD in the States) which here in the U.K cost ?250 i mean my DC only cost ?200 and that was 10 years later where inflation and prices had risen. I didnt buy the Mega-CD as i didnt think it added that much to the MD then just before releasing the Saturn they released The 32X for the MegaDrive @ ?150 again i knew Saturn was looming and didnt want to wast my money on buying a 32bit add-on for a 16bit machine. Then shortly afterwards the Saturn came out i paid ?350 for that and i did love my Saturn but there was no way getting away from the fact that it was underpowered in the 3D sense compared to the PSX and its transparencies were awful suffering from the 'net curtain' effect when explosions or fire scenes.

Now i know most PSX users are graphics tarts and gameplay is important but i think loyal Sega Followers got fed up with all these add-ons and underpowered systems that by the time DC came on the scene they were to scared to buy it.

The main reason ppl bought the PS2 one was because of backward capability and Sony were clever there i mean some PSX games still come out now for it.

The one thing that does confuse me is i read that the DC was 'modular' and was built similar to a PC for upgrades, if so why didnt they just bring upgrades out for it like a new laser that could read DVD's?

Or maybe a way to add more RAM or even a HDD to it?
Regards.

CyberMick.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

cybermick: specifically about the RAM, i was in a relatively detailed discussion about that with some of the majorly knowledgable ones here and the verdict was that you could add more ram but it wouldnt DO anything because the games wouldnt be able to use them so it wouldnt speed up pre-existing games, and some that were poorly written may crash because of it. HOWEVER, if sega were to re-release it with more ram, they could make it backwards compatable by having a compatability mode in which it would lock the new ram modules or such.

also, about the DC being modular, it was, very. the DC had 4 basic components the power supply, the motherboard, the GD-ROM assembly and the controller board. the problem is each was specifically designed for the other, so it is possible that they could have had upgrades, but they would still have to like... flash the bios to fix things.

to comment on what you said about sega ripping people off, i dont thing that is true. the sega CD at the time was expensive, but if you were to look at how much any CD player at all would cost you at that time, let alone one that also let you play games, you would see why.

the sega genesis 32x was also not to rip people off, but what had happened is that sega had it in development to be their new system, but when they learned of sony's new system they decided to throw the idea of a new cart sys away because it would not be able to compete with a CD system due to storage limitations. they then realized that they didnt want to leave the poor sega fans for so long without a console, so they finished up the prototypes as an add on for the genesis which would allow it to play some of the first 3d games of the time. the 32x was intended to be something to appease already loyal sega fans, or to sway people who were undecided to sega as opposed to the genesis saturn and DC which were meant to get new fanbase as well as expand old. the problem with the 32x was that it had poor advertisment and developers did not want to try to start development for a system that was only going to be replaced soon after its release.

the 32x can be seen as an analogy to the Virtual boy, which in my opinion was an even worse faliure, with only 6 games i think? the 32x had around 20 or so.

my last point will be the saturn. i dont see how you could possibly say the psx has better graphix than the saturn. in order to test that you must look at the difference between the two most graphically advanced games for the system and compare them. the saturn was simply too complex of a machine ( a total of 5 processors for graphics, a cpu the sh-1, two more processors sh-2s for 3d graphics processing, then 2 VDPs for textures and backgrounds. also it had two sound processors ) so most developers took the simplest and easiest way to make a game work as opposed to the best, and most efficient way. Pretty much, almost all the games ended up looking like 'early' games.

is it just magic that in almost every system as the years progress, the games look better? the hardware hasnt changed, so how do the games look better? its all in the coding. with the early games, the programmers havnt had much experience working with the system and dont do as good of a job writing for it. with the saturn, most games came out this way because the hardware was so complex that it was very difficult to 'get used' to writing for it. some (Ian M) say that the same is true for the dreamcast, where some games were written in the assembly language for the processors and others were written in C++ which is MUCH easier to do but something like 1/90 as efficient.

Imagine the possibilities...

The Dream Lives On.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

quzar wrote: The one thing that really pi$$ed me off about Sega is that they never really got behind and supported the DC homebrew scene.

Now im not Sony lover but i have to admire them when they released The Yarozee (I think that's how it was spelt) for homebrew games and demo's.
i cant stand sony, but yes the Yarozee was a good idea. i think sega should take from sony's example and do the same thing. but i dont see it happening

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The Yaroze kit was very limited and very expensive.

The PS2 Linux kit is less limited, but they still prevent you from doing a lot of interesting things with it (like running real PS2 code, having any direct access to the hardware, playing out-of-region DVDs, reading from CD-Rs or non PS(2) discs).

They're basically to attract more developers, and hopefully get them to make games exclusively for the PS(2). Still, better than nothing, I suppose.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I came across this in the Unreal Tournament DC board at GameFAQS if its worth anythin:

from hal9000:

The servers for UT DC were very nice server boxes, running winNT. Win2k and
XP *should* be able to run it as well, but I have not tested the server code
on anything other than NT. The box I ran my UT DC test server from was a
dual P3 600 box with 1 GB ram running Win NT4 sp3.

from hal9000:

Sega's servers have sadly all been turned off. The server code for UT DC
was never released so it's not possible to set up your own server that way.
********A regular UT server will not recognize a Dreamcast client.********
Its possible
that Infogrames ("Atari" now) or the programmers of UT DC could release the
server code, but not likely. The server code does not have features to
change the problems we had with -suicides crashing the server, chat spam,
lagging the server, etc. We were lucky to get a fix for the first big
problem with the "pause" command that came out long ago.

Another issue to be aware of, if you could get the UT DC server code, is
that there is an exploit for all old Unreal servers where people can crash
or compromise the server box running older versions of UT.

other than that.Atari bought the game code,and its not going to be released.
i have no clue why,its not like its worth anything now.
so,thats about it Stoan.
i emailed Atari as well,and of course never got a reply.
the writing in bold is from hal9000, and the normal writing is from the guy who asked him

hal9000 maintained the dreamcast servers for Unreal Tournament, we used to talk to him a lot when the servers were still up, it was good of him to keep in touch with us during those dying days when we didn't know when the servers were going down. he kept them up as long as he could before his superiors made him pull the plug on the UT servers :cry: Check the UT manual, he's in there
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

pissed off dc owner wrote:
quzar wrote: The one thing that really pi$$ed me off about Sega is that they never really got behind and supported the DC homebrew scene.

you messed up the quote... that wasnt me. at this point the only way sega has pissed me off was by discontinuing the Dreamcast (excuse the spelling, I am a horrible speller.)