New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Specially Cork »

This controller isnt innovative. Look at the photo!

He has an analog stick in his left hand.
He has buttons in his right hand.

It is normal.

Suddenly this is the most amazing thing ever because theyve broken a controller down into 2 parts and connected them with a cable?

:roll:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

Did you read the part about the motion sensors?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

az_bont wrote:Did you read the part about the motion sensors?
Yeah. Its been done before.

Its the as when Nintendo were apparently innovative for using a touch-screen or when Sony were apparantly innovative for making games that use a web-cam.

Innovation is the act of introducing something new. Not just a big company taking old technology and making everybody go "oooooh!"
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

The N64 was the first console with a thumb analogue stick, if im not mistaken, but noone was there to say "Dammit, screw these innovations. Im going to program for Sony blah blah". The only real drag to the N64 was cartridges, and its limited memory for programming. So basically everyone then copied the N64's ability to have analogue, Sega(Nights controller), Sony and then Microsoft. Who knows, Nintendo seems to have tested this thing out for a while, or else they wouldn't have believed it would ever work. It may be what gameplay will be like in the future, for all consoles. It's kind of like when people balked at the airplane, "omgz it flies like a bird? No wayz lolz." However this has been done before, aka pens and such, but never for videogames. Powerglove? No games were actually programmed to use this much, it was like using your toaster and pointing it at the screen, compatibility wise.

However, the DS has touch screen and programmers are being drawn away from having to program for it because they feel obliged to work with it, and go to the PSP. Nintendo said this is one of the main parts of the Revolutionary aspects of the Revo, not THE main part. Hopefully just downloading games isnt the other part. It still makes me wonder how you'll play SNES games and fighting games. I'd rather hook my SNES controller up to it if need be to play hell i dunno, MK7?

Notice on the video, i dont know if this was an attachment or not, but above the B button on the back it showed i believe were X and Y buttons. But who wants to reach under your controller like a Z button to play Mega Man X? If roms never came about this would be extremely revolutionary, but then again im not so sure. I guarantee a 199$ or 299$ price tag. The former most likely.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BoneyCork wrote:
az_bont wrote:Did you read the part about the motion sensors?
Yeah. Its been done before.

Its the as when Nintendo were apparently innovative for using a touch-screen or when Sony were apparantly innovative for making games that use a web-cam.

Innovation is the act of introducing something new. Not just a big company taking old technology and making everybody go "oooooh!"
Those two examples were innovative in their application. Before the Nintendo DS, I don't think I'd seen a single demonstration of a game playable with a touch screen. And the same goes for the EyeToy as well.

By your logic, no building design can ever be innovative because bricks were invented years ago.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Apparently youre supposed to rotate the remot sideways and you can use it as a normal controller. (according to Gamespot). Which is why I complained about the complete lack of ergonomics. Holding a rectangle in your hand is a bit too 1980s
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

StriderXg2 wrote:The only real drag to the N64 was cartridges, and its limited memory for programming.
Ermmm... The N64 had twice as much RAM as the PS1 did. Four times as much if you were using the expansion pack.
BoneyCork wrote:Yeah. Its been done before.
Not like this it hasn't. It's certainly never been done in any kind of consumer equipment before.

And if you're trying to suggest that tilt controllers are anything like the Revolution's controller, you should probably re-read this stuff again.
Apparently youre supposed to rotate the remot sideways and you can use it as a normal controller.
I really doubt anyone is going to be doing that. Unless you're actually playing NES games on it, there wouldn't be any point.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I really doubt it is intended to be used that way. Just look at the back of the controller where it dips in behind the d-pad - your whole left hand would be contorted into an impossible position if you were to use it like a NES controller.

Anyone else notice the PSP-esque analogue knob?
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

BlackAura wrote:
StriderXg2 wrote:The only real drag to the N64 was cartridges, and its limited memory for programming.
Ermmm... The N64 had twice as much RAM as the PS1 did. Four times as much if you were using the expansion pack.
People also tend to forget about Resident Evi 2. It has all the FMVs and the graphics are enhanced by the Expansion Pack.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I was afraid of the N64 controler before it came out, and I ended up loving that. I am sure this will be coool. besides it HAS to be better than the GC controler.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

Actually now that I realize it is an nes controller when turned sideways, it is quite ingenius. However, I'd hate to play SNK games or Street Fighter on it.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

I think it looks interesting. Nintendo sure have guts for trying something so different. ;) But at this point, I think it's foolish to declare 'omg Nintendo is dead now' or vice versa, as none of us have even used it yet.. :) Personally, I am looking forward to it. I've always thought the idea of using the fishing rod controller on the DC to play Soul Calibur would have been amusing to try.. ;) Seems it might be the default for the Revolution version of the next Soul Calibur.... ;)
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

Remember people, you can plug your Cube pads into the Revolution for games that would be awkward on the weird remote contraption. I just hope my wavebird will work too ;)
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Hmm.. Sega Marine fishing 2 and Bass Fishing 3..I'm liking this idea.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

It's only got 1 analog, 1 d-pad and 'gaming' buttons by the look of it. I don't know why they're contempt of making controllers with less buttons than the competition. :?
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'm taking the "wait and see" position, though I'm very much looking forward to using it. This should have been expected, really. Nintendo has always done something different as far as controllers go...even as far back as the SNES, when they stuck triggers on the SNES controller. I think Nintendo is doing the right thing. Gamers are jaded. They want something different...and this is it. If this controller takes off...it'll change the entire industry. This thing could be the new analogue stick of the next genration of gaming.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Wow. I had so much faith in this system.....until I saw the controller. That blew it all for me. I guess I'll just stick with buying a PS3 when it's cheaper, or wait until a third party can come out with a better Revolution controller design.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wanna know the smartest thing Nintendo could do but won't? Package a Gamecube controller with the Revolution. That way companies can make traditional ports and will not be alienated by the new controller, and companies that want to innovate could use the new controller. It would make the best of both worlds, but Nintendo won't do that, and will risk the loss of tons of third party support.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Satoru Iwata explains all here.

It's his keynote speech from the 2005 Tokyo Game Show. To get to the new controller, skip ahead to 25:30.
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote:Nintendo won't do that, and will risk the loss of tons of third party support.
To be honest, third party support isn't something Nintendo need to have to make a successful console - the N64 did fine without it and all the efforts they made to get third parties aboard for the GC never really paid off in the end anyway.

I am highly sceptical about how this thing is going to work, but you know, at least its an implicit promise from nintendo that next gen games arent just going to be more of the same with slightly nicer graphics.

Say that about their competitors if you think you can.