Finally

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alexvrb »

Pyrosurfer wrote: Found a 486 heatsink like matt was talking about,
They're pretty cheap, might get 2 of them to put on top of the heat spreader (if you guys think it would help).

EDIT: From the dimensions it doesn't look like it would help much.
Dimensions aside it still wouldn't help much. The longer distance it has to travel, the less heat is conducted. Meaning diminishing returns, very quickly. Now add on TOP of that the fact that you're not dealing with a single piece of metal, but rather two or more seperate pieces with only some conduction paste between them, and your gains are insignificant. As I posted above (I really shouldn't leave windows sitting open for that long without refreshing), you're going to want to replace the entire thing if you really want to make big gains, otherwise just improve airflow.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

zerotype wrote:I talekd to the author of the english guide I am goign to try to achve speeds of 300mhz.He thinks it mght be possible with TEC's.SO I am going to order some 50quartz and get a few dc build a new case and super cool the fudger.
Someone has to find out how to increase the vcore before you start worrying about building a cooling setup of any significant power.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I am going to cool it becuase of heat issues I do nto see why I would nto want to cool it now.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

What he is saying is not to worry about the heat yet. You will not be able to reach 300mhz even if your dc was at absolute zero, unless you up the voltage of the processor.

BTW, what is the stock voltage of the SH4?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

I talked to the guy who made the englsigh tut and he thinks that I MIGHT be able to.
DYTDMFBSB?
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

What would be the best way for the top of the dc's heatspreader to get a good connection with my PC's Chassis? I think if I plug in my extra case fan and got a good connection to the Chassis my DC would be fine at 240mhz.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

You should have enough room that you can just replace the heatspreader altogether. Something like an inexpensive, outdated, small and lightweight aluminum coolermaster. You shouldn't even need the HS fan, if your case fans get a little airflow over the DC's mainboard.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 128&depa=0 ? Shouldn't my heatspreader with modifications as shown on the page, plus an extra case fan suffice?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Even that is overkill
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Way overkill. I said outdated, like their junky old ones. You'll probably be fine without replacing it, I just think that since you have all that room, using some silver thermal epoxy and an aluminum heatsink would be advantageous. I was thinking more like this, something cheap. You don't even need the fan, as long as the fins are facing the right way and it has air flowing over it.

If you get a chance, measure the SH4's surface. Because if you feel that 60x60mm is too big, you could probably get a northbridge cooler, but they have different surface sizes, and you want the whole thing making good contact.
Benimaru
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Benimaru »

This looks like a good idea. However, it doesn't seem complete to me. I am looking at the oscillator right now and it looks like it has at least 2 pins sticking out. Where do we solder these?
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Benimaru, I was kinda confused about that myself until kamjin explained it. There are GND and +5V pins which should be connected to your dcs psu, the other pin is the outputted square wave that is connected under the leg of the pll. These oscillators produce a square wave from a voltage source.

I measured my bay temperature, its 75F with extra case fan, 83F without. Maybe I could get by without the extra fan on.

I ordered some parts from Jameco yesterday. Here's what I ordered:
40mhz crystal
Various switches
6 pin aux power connector for 3.3V from psu
3 relays, so I can switch 3 DC voltage sources with one switch
Battery pack, for Battery Replacement so I don't lose my dc's time.
2x 25 pin male and female dsub connectors for easy repairs
15 pin M and F dsubs
9 pin M and F
3 red 2100 mcd leds, plus resistors
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i may try the 54mhz clock, since my next project is making a new dc case with better cooling.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

You'll need to feed it an external voltage source...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

I think that is pretty obvious....
DYTDMFBSB?
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

No the obvious part is cooling. Everyone cares about that, but doesn't mention anything about how they are going to raise the voltage.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Raising the voltage would be a pain in the ass, it would have to be a very steady source of power. But its definately possible
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Even with proper cooling and power, I don't think the SH4 would be able to go over 300mhz.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I think it would. But that all depends on what you mean by "proper", because I'm thinking compressor, insulating compounds, etc. :D

But matt is right, it would have to be a really, really rock-solid source of power. I was actually hoping that there would be a way to use the existing source of power for the vcore, and just modify the hardware to put out a teeny bit more.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

use the existing source of power for the vcore
Maybe you'd be lucky and find a ressistor, measure it. Do some calulations and you could work out what you'd need to change it to and what voltage that would give.

Im going to attempt 240Mhz over Xmas hopefully, i'll atleast try to get some high quality close ups