Offical DCEmu Codename: Envenom Topic

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

Codename: Envenom now works on Dreamcast again, work resumes. :)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

- Replaced old title screen with the replacement one, fits in nicely.
- Added the smart introduction movie before the title screen, it's sweet.
- Redid the shotgun muzzle flash sprite from scratch so hopefully it'll no longer cause Envenom to freeze on Dreamcast.

All that's left is to finish the first map, maybe add a few touches, implement save spots and a public demo will be ready.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

new news news? What about voice actors how is that going.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I got FrikaC onboard as a voice actor, hooray!
Almost ready for the demo but news has come up that Chillo wants to redo most of the models for the mod so that may push back the release a bit :O!
I also just finished the cutscene code and it's pretty darn professional, still just finishing off the map.

Anyone know where I can find some decent .wavs for climbing a ladder? So far when you climb a ladder it doesn't make the 'tink' sound that should accompony Corporal's foot being put on the ladder.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

What about that one dude who made that demo mp3 of his voice he'd be really good at being a narrartor or story teller if you had one that whould be cool also.. How many voices do you need, please don't let the hero or anyone sound like a 12 yr old or even a teenager for that matter. He gotta sound tuff.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Don't worry, I'm not hiring little kids to do voices.
I gotta find a female for the voice of Vile's, the newer version that Chillo's making will be pretty disturbing when you see 'em.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Speeddemon »

i cant see any of the screen shots :o
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's some new pics:
<< Envenom on High Graphics using the Darkplaces engine >>
<< Same as above >>

I also did a recent test of Envenom on Dreamcast using the new high polygon Corporal model and an expanded Cargo Deck level itself (It's weighing at 1.5 megs). The game is really pushing the Dreamcast!! The framerate is average 20, but can go down to 9 FPS at certain scenes where there's enemies, lighting effects, particles and more on the screen. The good news is that it's completely playable; I'm also fearing that I'm hitting the RAM limit soon because sometimes the Dreamcast has to stop and load up sounds such as a gun firing (Takes a split second only, doesn't bother gameplay much).

Also the cutscene widescreen border is messed up, not sure if I can fix it easily since it displays fine on 320x240 for Winquake.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Oh, and Corporal is 1684 polygons. ;)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o *looks at the pics*

Insane homebrew collector.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I believe I may have just ejaculated into my shorts :o.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

This has just been reaffirmed as the project I'm anticipating most.
Looking good Tyne. :wink:

-Ex
Tis my sig.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Yes good job tyne I really like the texture work in your game, thats really important to have nice textures for the game to look nice and professional. I whould like to say though if don't feeled pressured to release it tell you are happy with what you have produced. Many times people feeled pressured to release games early. Can't wait for a demo though. I think it's important to keep a good framerate as well. If you need help with anything please make sure you ask on the forums. I know you frequent other forums too i searched on google and found you on some other quake forums.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Purdy...too bad RADquake isn't PowerVR accelerated so it could run smoothly at 640x480. If it were actually able to run on DC the way it does in those screenshots (which I'd assume it doesn't because of both low-res software rendering and lack of bumpmapping in the software renderer), it's almost beginning to encroach on pro-level DC graphics. It certainly looks around the level of the Playstation-ported games, like Legacy of Kain and Shadowman.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

One quick question, though: Are you planning to set this up to be able to run by itself with a DC quake engine? The way this is looking, I think it would justify its own disc/case/etc., and those always feel better when they just boot that way as if the game was "supposed" to be there that way, instead of having to choose it off a modlist or whatever.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

What music do you plan on using, thats very important to the mood, did you say that the music changes in the game? that whould be cool if it changed to scare you or something.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

law56ker wrote:What music do you plan on using, thats very important to the mood, did you say that the music changes in the game? that whould be cool if it changed to scare you or something.
True; music samples would be nice to hear at some point.

[thinks back to uber-cheesy Soap Opera organ music he recently wrote for a friend's student film]
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

DaMadFiddler wrote:too bad RADquake isn't PowerVR accelerated so it could run smoothly at 640x480
Bero's Quake engine had hi res and reasonable framerate! Why does RADQuake don't have it?

So this will work with the Titanium port (QuakeDC)?
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

"Bero's Quake engine had hi res and reasonable framerate! Why does RADQuake don't have it?"

I'm not sure, but I think RADQuake's framerate is better then Bero's, ofcourse RADQuake can still be optimized better.

"So this will work with the Titanium port (QuakeDC)?"

No, due to the Titanium Port lacking dynamic lighting I will not support it, plus Envenom is simply too much for QuakeDC to load.

Thanks for the comments guys.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

nice news and screenshots :)

posted the news over at http://www.dcemu.co.uk/

keep up the good work
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.