For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DreamservVMU »

we could add mp3 support by making the xdp3 project expaned to include the free planetweb 2.6,but even then youd have to wait for it to download to play,as of now,none of the browsers support any streaming media,i suppose the dc could handle it just fine though if it had support,seeing as webtv is basicly the same specs as a dc,minus 100 mhz on the processor,everything is very close memory wise,and it handles streaming ram files very well. so dc could handle it,but it wont be on these browsers.
as for a DJ image,i use strictly nero for burning i can upload a nero file,but someone else might wanna do the DJ image. and this is fatheadpi's project,he has final say as to what he really wants anyway.
pizzagod530
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by pizzagod530 »

ok now thinking... a while back i was able to have my dc connect with my computer with its irc client and it was pretty cool, i had to listen on a port and i could control a lot of things.. telnet.. ftp... i am just wondering would there be any way the DC could listen on a port and add on clients that werent on it before? also maybe with that mp3 problem.. i could make a little visual basic app that will take an mp3 directory make it into an html file and allow it to be used on the dc browser... after all i wouldnt want to download an mp3 on my dc and have to download it again and again. tell me what you think about thoughs ideas if there good.. or out of the question
gnateye
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gnateye »

something like realplayer would be perfect, it can play real streaming files and streaming mp3, and is pretty universal....

now as far as adding to the browser i have no idea, but it seems like something the Hardware could handle no problem, now if only i knew a lot more about programing 8)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Alright, a lot of posts, so let's get started.

1. MP3 support

DreamPassport (DP, also XDP) DOES NOT support any MP3 playback at all. PlanetWeb 2.0 and later has MP3 support, but you have to download one file at a time, the file cannot be larger than 6 megs, there is no streaming abilities, and you have to reset your dc after downloading an MP3 to clear the memory. If we find out a way to slip MP3 support into XDP it would be good because in XDP you can clear the DC's memory without resetting. I don't think there is any means to add more support than what is already in the current browsers, to add streaming would require that someone make a new browser, like a mozilla port to the DC.

2. Ini's

Curtis, I'll look at that post, but I already have a working full english Message.ini (stole it frome the DK in pso, the browsers are nearly identical), but I will take a look at your cutom DP3.ini file. All I've currently done there is up the download limit a ways and remap the help files.

3. Crappy tools

Alright, I'll pull these. The next release should have a few more translations, and I might add the VMI toolkit to the next release.

4. To the guy who wanted to rip PSO's DK

I was going to do the same thing, if you would do that for me it would be greatly appreciated, give me more time to take a look at Planetweb's Ginsu, specifically it's abilities to launch WinCE based DC apps. I'll give credit where credit is due as well. If we could get a working DK, that'd be the first good step, that way we could wean people into DP3 (DK is a clone of DP3, but with fewer of the higher functions)

5. BBA support

I need to get part of DP3 translated, but it is my belief that if I nab part of PSO's browser distribution and splice it into my DP3 distro we can have BBA support.

6. VMU File Trouble

No Curtis, the reason why the VMU page doesn't load up is because it's not on the disc. The whole VMU set up works, that VMU link was from an earlier test with PlanetWeb and VMITool.

More coming soon...
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

fatheadpi wrote: 4. To the guy who wanted to rip PSO's DK

I was going to do the same thing, if you would do that for me it would be greatly appreciated, give me more time to take a look at Planetweb's Ginsu, specifically it's abilities to launch WinCE based DC apps. I'll give credit where credit is due as well. If we could get a working DK, that'd be the first good step, that way we could wean people into DP3 (DK is a clone of DP3, but with fewer of the higher functions)

5. BBA support

I need to get part of DP3 translated, but it is my belief that if I nab part of PSO's browser distribution and splice it into my DP3 distro we can have BBA support.
I said DP3 in my post did I not? I was offering to rip the one in the Japanese PSOv2 because the "BroadBand Passport" that's floating around now is some weird mix between the PSOv1 DreamPassport browser and DreamKey, and lt's missing the extra features like Ch@b talk. The PSOv2 browser has Ch@btalk and the extras, but they're greyed out. I was asking if you'd like me to rip that.

If you really wanted dreamkey, I could rip the one in the US PSOv1 for you to save time. If you're interested, either post here, or contact me via one of the IM's below...
(I'm basicly interested in getting DP3 in English with BBA support, which Is why I'm offering to rip those for you if it helps)
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

fatheadpi go to this url its the template i used for the vmu file midi jukebox player used in dp3,you can download the vmu file at dreamserv and run the jukebox from the vmu,little info on it before the link:
The Jukebox as is will load from vmu,click on each midi in menu and load all to dc memory,disconnect from the net and enjoy over 20 or so midis offline,just reopen the menu,and choose,they instantly load from dc memory.

ok link http://pwo_4life.tripod.com/stuff/midis1.html

you can download all the midis,and copy/change the html to suit the xdp3 release,add midis.etc..... just make a directory in xdp3 inside the dpwww folder called jukebox or whatever,and link to it in a menu system in the browsers html interface,the midis dont sound all that great on pc,but for some reason the RULE on dp3's midi player,and they load like lighting as well,and from the cd they'd load instantly,great option for dp3 seeing as it cant play mp3,and wavs would be to large to add very many.

also,that messages.ini file on the previous page of this thread is very well detailed and designed to run on dp3's of all varietys,the one from dk could have some major errors cause it wont have the text for chabtalk instant messanger,and a few other features missing from dk,that dp3 has,oh and ct2 and all the dp browsers include chabtalk,EVEN if its greyed out in the trigger menus,you need to use a special url in an html document to actually access it,as access inc/sega disabled it from the triggers but left it in the browser,heres the url to add to html and how it should appear

<a href=x-avefront//---.dream/proc/menu/pri_msg>Load Chabtalk</a>

just click that link in any of the dp browsers that have chabtalk disabled and you can use chabtalk(of course youll need a chab ID...which can be obatained at dreamserv) and go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dreamcastbrowsers for info on how to input your chab id to dc memory,once you have it in dc memory,go to dreamservs chab section for a list of current users(currently around 30 or so active users)

also im gonna upload some of the dp3 files to my tripod site so you all can access them at anytime,they come from the DPF custom cd. ill post a link when im done.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down everyone. I'll mess with all of this new info this week, for now, though, courage.

Okay, tonight I am upping release 3 of XDP. The new release is in image form. I found a dummy file that will compress from 630 megs to 500ks, so I put it in. This release will not hurt your DC like the first one could have if it was made into an image. This release is very safe, and here's a little info on it.

CHANGES

- Added a few more translated files, almost everything in the trigger menus is in English, with the exception of the options menu, but what isn't in English has a description so you can figure it out. Surprisingly, about 70% of the options menu is in English.

- Pulled some crappy tools out of the mix

- Pulled a dead link (VMU Section) off the front page, but I might have put another one back in.

- Distribution is now in a self booting image format, and it comes pre-dummied. The download will be about 8 megs, and the extracted image is over 700 megs. This image is safe for DC use, and will not harm your laser. I will probably include CDI2Nero .99b in the mix as well, just drag the XDP3.cdi image onto the program and it will make a self booting Nero image of XDP3. I highly reccomend you burn the image with Disc at Once mode, and if you have it, Disc at Once/96 mode.

In the next release, I plan on adding VMITool and a guide on using the VMU support, changing the Message.ini to Curtis's in the interest of extreme correctness, and possibly adding Curtis's midi add-on pack. At the moment, here's what I want to add in, and where it's at on my list to do.

Ch@bTalk, etc - I don't really know what this is, but you people seem to want it, so I'll get it implemented in the next release or two.

ADX encoding - I've finally gotten some good and legal ADX encoding gear again, so I want to write a guide on how to encode ADX audio for playing on the web browsers, as well as playing stuff you rip off your own games and backups. I'd like to get this done in the next few releases.

SOFDEC Creation - This one is pretty complex, and will likely come later on, definitely after the ADX tutorial.

VMU Usage / VMITool - Coming soon. This will allow users to put their own VMU files on their XDP cd's. If we ever see the PSO homebrew server project come to life, I will likely do a mini release with codes for Gameshark and Codebreaker/Xploder to modify the game to use custom servers.

App launching - Gotta talk to Curtis about this a little more, need some more info, not much of a priority. I would like to release a minidisc oriented image with XDP and all the good DC tools like Vorlem and Utopia.

Online Arcade Concept - I think that, in theory, we could make the web browsers download and launch many of the homebrew games from websites, so you could play them wherever you go, or try them out before you go to the trouble to shove them on a CD. This will come after the App launching.

That's about all I've really thought about for the browser, if anyone wants to see something else PM me.

The new release will be upped to my interim site, and then moved on to DC homebrew. When it's there, you'll all get to see the first image based version of XDP.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

Ch@bTalk, etc - I don't really know what this is, but you people seem to want it, so I'll get it implemented in the next release or two.

Chabtalk or Ch@btalk is the built in instant messanger for dreaqmpassport,you wont have to add support for it,its already there,depending on the dp browser xdp3 is based on(i assume for now its the ct2 version which will need that html h ref link in my previous post,just add it to ct2 somewhere,user caqn click it to access the chabtalk IM,they will need an isao.net account to use chabtalk,tghey can get it at dreamserv by request. then all they do is input the account info following the dreamcast browser groups guide for accessing chabtalk,then reboot the browser,click the href link,and they can instant message.).

App launching - Gotta talk to Curtis about this a little more, need some more info, not much of a priority. I would like to release a minidisc oriented image with XDP and all the good DC tools like Vorlem and Utopia.

i will email a guide with some files for app launching in dp3 right now,check your hotmail account for the files/guide.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hiya, here's the link to XDP3 Release 3:

http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/files/plain/XDP3v3.rar
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I sorta know what Ch@btalk is, and I've got an idea.

I have a copy of Gundam Battle Online with DP3, same layout and all, only difference is I noticed the Chabtalk option in the pvr files doesn't have and X through it like CT2 does. I'll see if I can get this edition to self-boot, and if I can we should have an easier to use version, if not, the next release will come with a custom setting VMU file, I'll remap one of the Function keys to that address or add it to the bookmarks.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

OK, i dl v3, it runs stable, but does it support bba ? i cant get mine to work on it properly, even though it says bba in the option menus. I wanna use it like i do with the japanse bba software, giving the dc an ip and letting it connect through my linux router... also is there any chance you might include an irc client in it somehow or in the next release ?

Thx, Law
Link
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Link »

Hi,

Hmmmm, it appears that those of us using Discjuggler are on the wait list. The image size is 752MB. Plus it won't read the table of contents. I don't have nero, so I guess it's gonna be awhile. (crosses fingers and hopes someone will make an image that will burn on DJ.)

Still eagerly awaiting the XDP,
Your Brother in the DCEmu Scene,
Link

DI Boot tutorial in this thread http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10602
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Someone's never downloaded warez off the net.

The image is 752 megs, but that's all overhead discjuggler crap. Nero is a bit better, the converted image is only 751 megs. The image only contains about 670 megs of actual cd data, I left it that way in case someone wants to cd-mage the image and make their own.

As for the image not reading, I guess I'll score an old ass version of DJ to make images with, using 4.0 right now.

To those who have got it working, thank you very much for testing it. I'm not entirely sure how to shove BBA support in, but it might happen, I just don't quite know for the moment.

The next release is being worked on. I want to actually start building a customization toolkit, including ADX Enc, VMITool, a link to TMPGEnc and guides on mpeg encoding, and some kind of SFD multiplexor.
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

fatheadpi wrote:To those who have got it working, thank you very much for testing it. I'm not entirely sure how to shove BBA support in, but it might happen, I just don't quite know for the moment.
As I mentioned before, the copy of Dreampassport 3 in PSOv2 (Japanese) has BBA support. If you'd like me to rip it for you, contact me somehow.
Link
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Link »

Hi,

Lol, Yep, you got it lol, I have never burned a PSX or DC game period. (other then homebrew stuff.) Glad you responded, maybe you can answer me something since I have no idea. The image is 752MB on my comp. What do you mean by over head crap and where is the extra 52 MB gonna go since I only have 700 MB disks? lol Sorry if I seem clueless here cause mainly I am lol. I have no clue on the old selfbooting method so I mainly just use self boot kits lol (thanks for any help and for being polite enough to answer me.) :)
Link

DI Boot tutorial in this thread http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10602
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

Uhm, use cdi2nero, thats what i did, works just fine burned disc-at-once with nero on a 700mb cdr....
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

Link wrote:Hi,

Lol, Yep, you got it lol, I have never burned a PSX or DC game period. (other then homebrew stuff.) Glad you responded, maybe you can answer me something since I have no idea. The image is 752MB on my comp. What do you mean by over head crap and where is the extra 52 MB gonna go since I only have 700 MB disks? lol Sorry if I seem clueless here cause mainly I am lol. I have no clue on the old selfbooting method so I mainly just use self boot kits lol (thanks for any help and for being polite enough to answer me.) :)
Most 700MB disks store 80 minutes, right?
Well, when you burn it, burns 735MB or something around there, but it only burns about 75 minutes! So the disk isn't completely full. It works out somehow.....
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, if you want to rip the DP3 go ahead. I didn't read it right the first time, thought you were talking about the DK from the US PSOv2, which had BBA support. Go ahead and rip it, I'll see if it's Ch@btalk is disabled, if not whoopee, if it is I'll just shove it into the links and bypass everything. Much thanks in advance.

As for the whole over 700 meg thing, I don't quite get it. But it works and that's all that matters. If it wont read the image, try updating your DJ to 4.0. Or do yourself a huge friggin favor and go score a copy of Nero, DAO/96 mode rules.
Link
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Link »

Hi Yet Again,

Well, Lol F.H. you are phsycic. lol I was using an old DJ that's what was up. I am sorry but I didn't know (everything else has burned fine with it (odd how things change from version to version and leave you in their dust.) lol Anyway, I will be testing the heck out of the browser very soon and will report anything I see still in japanese or if something doesn't work. (I am very glad you are working with this because God knows we need more good browsers on DC lol.) Thanks for all your work on it and the help with what was wrong getting it burned. (Didn't mean to run anyone to any trouble.) (I also think it is very odd how 752MB boiled down to far under 752MB.) Maybe it's just some weird need of the burning program, not sure but the release looks very cool.

I have one fact of note. The keyboard is fine until you go to edit your bookmarks (then it's back to it's old Japanese self lol) That, so far is all I have found. If I find more or see anything of note I will let you know (not in a critisizing way either) but more of just an informing tone. (I never meant to really come off harsh. Just look at my other posts on DCemu. I rarely ever get into heavy arguements. Good luck F.H. May this project go totally smooth for you. :)
Link

az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The overhead is just extra burning info that doesn't actually get burned to the disc - its the same with any image, whether its downloaded or not. Just try using Nero/DiscJuggler/CloneCD/Ezy CD Creator and make an image and you'll see.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!