Magna Carta for Dreamcast

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by clessoulis »

Veggita2099 wrote:
clessoulis wrote:
Kasumi wrote:I heard from somewhere that the PS2 lacks graphics compared to other consoles because it still had to run PSX games also.
PS2 beat the DC in some ways and DC beats the PS2 in some ways. Anyways there equal in my opion.
I have played a lot of games on both my Ps2 and Dreamcast. I haven't seen a DC game that could beat the average ps2 game yet (graphics wise). Till I recently got JAK and Daxter i was playing my DC more then the ps2. There really isn't a lot of good games on ps2 considering how long its been out. And compareing ports isn't a good way to test it either. Like I beleive Ecco the Dophin and Resisdent Evil Code V was both straight ports meaning they didn't take advantage of the ps2's power and left the games unchanged.

The ps2 isn't that great of a system though for the price when compared to the DC since it is not much better, but it is still better none the less. I beleive its Video Memory is not as high as the DC's, but I THINK it somehow uses less memory then the DC does when rendering games. Notice the keyword THINK so don't come in here talking trash if Im wrong.
All the specs my be higher but they way the system works makes ps2 cancel out some of its power.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

clessoulis wrote:
All the specs my be higher but they way the system works makes ps2 cancel out some of its power.
This is my recent impression of you cless:
"Hello, my name is Clessoulis. I pull sh.it out of my ass for fun and profit."

The "system" works just fine. It's the programmers and tools who are inadequate and limit the performance of individual games.
No signature.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The PS2 hardware is fine, but compared to the DC (and the other newer systems) it's a pain to code for. Like the Saturn, it requires being able to use multiple processors and coprocessors properly, which is really hard compared to the single SH-4 in the DC.

This game does look very cool, and I think it'd be a great game regardless of what system it's on. As long as it's not on Xbox (because I don't have one). Actually, I'd rather it came out on the Gamecube, because I just like that system more than the PS2.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Well...

Post by clessoulis »

Dc is still better than PS2 in my book just because its so easy to program for.

Selfbooting for Noobs
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You probably do need to be coding for it to appreciate that. Of course, with a really gifted programmer, the PS2 could probably do some really cool stuff. That's unlikely to ever happen though, because it's a lot of work to optimise a program to that level.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

How about we do a fair comparison of 2 games that are the same game, but designed specifically for their respective systems?

PS 2 with Unreal Tournament and Quake 3

vs.

DC with Unreal Tournament and Quake 3

I know that Epic Megagames did the UT game for the PS2 while they handed Secret Level the job of making the DC version.

EA released Quake 3 for the PS2 (I guess they did the work) while Sega hired Raster to port the game for the DC.

Whether or not you actually have seen a better game on the PS2 than on the Dreamcast does not mean that the Dreamcast could not do it. Everyone has raved that Final Fantasy X is the best looking game on the PS2, but we will never know if this game could look this good on a Dreamcast as Square and Sega have never had a relationship. The Dreamcast was "plagued" with a lot of PS1 ports, although far superior than their PS1 counterparts, they were still restricted; example: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Although the game looked really good on the Dreamcast (many more poly's and better lighting effects than on the PSX), the developers working on Soul Reaver 2 said that the port they were working on would have several times more polys per character in the sequel than on the original DC version, and that both the PS2 version and DC version would run at 60 fps. Ofcourse, we will never see that or anything else that will push the system. Compare games released at the beginning of the PS1 life cycle compared to the games being released now. The games (on a techinical standpoint) are superior. I am sorry, but no videogame console hits its prime in the first 2 years. Soul Calibur has been referred by many console gaming enthusiasts as one of the best fighting games ever even surpassing other newer 3d fighters with respect to graphical display {granted DOA3 now takes the prize until perhaps Kakuto Chojin..spelling..but that is besides the point) and this game is how old...a launch title from 3 years ago...please :?
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

I dont think DC really taped its power. I mean look at psx it didnt tape it power untill maybe ff8 or ff9. Thats like 7 years. Dc lasted 2 years. No system could have reached its max power by then. I do however think PS2 has reached its max and even xbox mite have reached its max with halo 2.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Well if it comes to America hopefully it will be on ANYTHING but the Xbox since that is the only console I don't own. I have considered buying a pre-modded system for emulation though. I really need more information on the emulation on that system.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

All the good Xbox emulators are illegal. But they are really good.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Trend Whore
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Trend Whore »

you wouldn't need korean win98. just install the asian languages set and let windows figure it out from there.

IME is one of the greatest things ever!
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Trend Whore wrote:you wouldn't need korean win98. just install the asian languages set and let windows figure it out from there.

IME is one of the greatest things ever!
*sigh* Its not the language fonts your gonna have problems for. But go for it take a stab at getting it to run on a USA windows version. Its like getting dos games to run good on XP.

Selfbooting for Noobs