Xbox One announcement

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Xbox One announcement

Post by Specially Cork »

That CD you've got Panzer Dragoon on isn't expected to last more than a century. The cultural and historical damage argument is moot.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

My two cents,

I kept a good handful of my original xbox games that were BC, and still from time to time play them on my 360. My original xbox died years ago. My 360 is the only way for me to reliably play those games. A lot of people bitched about the use of Emulation due to glitches and not all games being supported, but IMHO its better than nothing.

BC is very important for early adopters and preserving games and libraries. I take very good care of my belongings, but hardware does die or is discontinued to be sold. The original xbox was a money pit for MS, so I see why they dropped it immediately. The time will come when they eventually drop the 360, and the LARGE investment I made into that console will just be gone when eventually the hardware all starts to fail. I see games as an investment, and I have every right to feel that way when these games cost me about $60.

I understand the hardware changes, and it makes it very difficult for hardware developers to justify the time and money it costs to support their old library. But that brings brand loyalty with it. If MS had said their xboxone was BC and cost $100 dollars more, then I would have stuck with the xbox brand. I am heavily invested in the xbox ecosystem with countless downloads of DLC and arcade games, and a ton of disc based games. But not supporting your old library in anyway gives me no incentive to continue living in their ecosystem over the competition. Try telling someone who is heavily invested into itunes/apple TV to switch to xbox and start over, they wouldn't do it because they feel tied to that system with their many purchases. Its an investment.

If anything, the OPTION should be there. The 360 sold two different models, a core system and the HDD system which offered BC. Hell the PS3 offered the option too for awhile (but that's a whole other topic.)

People like choice, and given the choice, I'd rather pay more to protect my investment.

As it stands, I want neither. The hardware is vastly different than what we have had this gen, but I bet you we will still be delivered the same damn 6 hour linear games - only this time they will be 1080P and 60FPS. If gaming will CHANGE vastly enough, then I'll accept the excuse of the hardware being too different. But I just don't see that happening.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nico0020 wrote: If MS had said their xboxone was BC and cost $100 dollars more, then I would have stuck with the xbox brand.
If Microsoft had said the XBOne was going to cost $600, I'm pretty sure most people would have told them to go fuck themselves. BC wouldn't sell the system at that price, it would completely cripple it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nico0020 wrote: but I bet you we will still be delivered the same damn 6 hour linear games.
Just move on from gaming and find another hobby. I could name you a hundred or more great games released this gen and it pisses me off that you'd just rather ignore them all and pretend nothing but Call of Duty exists rather than face the fact you no longer like games.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

If Microsoft had said the XBOne was going to cost $600, I'm pretty sure most people would have told them to go fuck themselves. BC wouldn't sell the system at that price, it would completely cripple it.
Well that goes down a different discussion direction, as I don't believe this thing needs to have a kinect. I just don't think the technology is there to do what they dream of doing with the Kinect. I'd love to be proven wrong and see the Kinect do something amazing for gaming. But I don't think another super eye toy is the next step in gaming, nor do I claim to know what that next is. I don't need an extra 100 dollars added to my console just to tell it to change the channel of my TV.
Just move on from gaming and find another hobby. I could name you a hundred or more great games released this gen and it pisses me off that you'd just rather ignore them all and pretend nothing but Call of Duty exists rather than face the fact you no longer like games.
There is some truth to this. A lot of games I would have loved 10 years ago don't tempt me anymore. I'll never drop gaming entirely, but I will say my drive to play the newest thing isn't there as much as it used to be (again, this is a whole other topic)

That being said, I did buy a lot of games this generation, and I still have a backlog to keep me busy for a long time. I enjoyed this generation - especially what the indie developers and xbla had to offer. But over the last 6 years, the gaming industry has moved into a bit of a rut. Sequels are safe, I understand that from a business standpoint. but AAA gaming needs to tone it down a bit, and we don't need the same franchises releasing every year. I'm stoked about playing tomb raider, but the expectations of the game companies is outrageous for a game to be considered "successful." You are seriously doing something wrong as a gaming company if 3.4 million sales your first month is disappointing. I hate to say this, but I honestly think (excluding the stupid motion controls and tablet controller) that MS and Sony should evaluate what Nintendo's strategy is. After all, Nintendo is the only true video game company left in the console world. Slow down a bit, we dont need another everything box, we need a reliable gaming machine that feels it is worth the investment.
*The Cadillac of signatures*