Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I totally see your point, bender, but I'm welcome to suggestions of any kind. The bad suggestions are easy to ignore and brush off.

I know perfectly well that I could have focused just on improving compatibility and speed, but I'm trying to make something much deeper here. When this release is done and you make a disc of NesterDC SE, that disc will be a NES library customized to your needs... filled with screenshots, cart scans, manuals, maps, FAQs, NSFs, and more. I personally can't wait to finish this darn thing so that I can veg out on my couch and have a NES marathon.

Some people have been against this, saying that I should just stick to the basics and make a damn release already. I know it sounds preachy but I have a vision and I don't want to do anything short of what I want.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bender »

I said I wasn't going to post more but I lied :lol:
Just to say sorry and thank you, scherzo :kiss)
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Thanks Scherzo :)

I'm am really looking forward to the release of this emulator, but please take your time to make it perfect. This is going to be the perfect NES emulator if what you are planning to do will become reality. I will gladly wait for that a little longer. If I want to play NES games that badly at this moment I will just get my NesterDC v7.1 disc, which works great for me as well.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
tray262
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tray262 »

I'm hooked on this emu, even tho I've never played, I've been checking the status every week. Hope everything keeps getting better.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

HOLY SHIT.

Today I decided to take a break from the whole FAQ ordeal and do some programming. I intended to work on fixing the KOEI games' graphical glitches.

So I download VC++ Express (which is awesome considering that MS provides it free of charge), the Platform SDK and installed them. I get the Win32 version of NesterDC working which is what I use to debug emulation problems.

So I start up Romance of the Three Kingdoms and my mouth drops. The graphics are perfect!!! At some point in my past changes, I fixed the KOEI games without knowing it. I'm a little perplexed but oh well. Life is good.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Yay for random fixes!

You've got to love when something gets fixed and you don't know how you did it. :P
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:HOLY poop.

Today I decided to take a break from the whole FAQ ordeal and do some programming. I intended to work on fixing the KOEI games' graphical glitches.

So I download VC++ Express (which is awesome considering that MS provides it free of charge), the Platform SDK and installed them. I get the Win32 version of NesterDC working which is what I use to debug emulation problems.

So I start up Romance of the Three Kingdoms and my mouth drops. The graphics are perfect!!! At some point in my past changes, I fixed the KOEI games without knowing it. I'm a little perplexed but oh well. Life is good.
:guffaw:! I bet you were WTF-ing over that all day!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o Wow, that's incredible ! KOEI games are fantastic :kiss)
Insane homebrew collector.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Wait, I got prematurely excited. The KOEI games I tested are mapper 1 games. The mapper 5 games, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2, are still garbled. Just gotta figure out why.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

OK, fixed it for real this time. However... I now know why Castlevania 3 runs so slow. It and many of the KOEI games use mapper #5 which apparently has the ability to do CHR bank switching in the middle of a frame. Or something like that. I ever don't claim to know WTF I'm talking about.

Well, Castlevania uses mapper #5 too but doesn't use the fancy bank switching. I know it doesn't because I commented out the code that does it and it worked. It worked and it was fullspeed. So the mystery about CV3 is solved. Nice, fullspeed CV3 when I release.

KOEI games now work too, but if they use mapper #5 they're going to be slow. DAMN slow. Like 10fps slow. I'm going to see if I can speed it up.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Good job Scherzo! Nothing like using a hack or two to fix the problem! :wink:
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

10FPS? if it goes at that speed, can't u just raise the frame skip faster to make it full speed?
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

drybed wrote:10FPS? if it goes at that speed, can't u just raise the frame skip faster to make it full speed?
Well... kind of. Increasing the frame skip will make the game really choppy and hard to watch, but technically, it could run full speed that way.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

TyBO wrote:
drybed wrote:10FPS? if it goes at that speed, can't u just raise the frame skip faster to make it full speed?
Well... kind of. Increasing the frame skip will make the game really choppy and hard to watch, but technically, it could run full speed that way.
Exactly, and it's been done.

Actually, I increased the frame rate quite a bit now. It's averaging about 35fps now. Doing some more things right now to try to get that up even higher.

Remember, this speed problem only applies to mapper 5 games, of which very few exist. The rest of the games are very much fullspeed.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Good to hear Scherzo! I'm confident you'll be able to get it fullspeed or close to fullspeed in the near future. :wink:

I was just thinking though... with all these great features being included in NesterDC SE, how much room will there actually be for the actual ROMs? Like, assuming the average NES ROM size is 200 KB, would you say like... 50 ROMs?

... I'm just curious... I know it's probably hard to predict at this point since the emu isn't complete yet.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

LOL 50? I know a lot more will fit on there.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Ha... OK that's good to know.

It just seems like with all this stuff, there might not be as much room for ROMs, y'know?

... and hey, I'd be perfectly content with that, considering how much has gone into this. :D
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Scherzo: be careful, just because it's not apparent that the game uses the mapper ability doesnt mean that it never uses it. If you could try to research that and see if it may or may not be used in specific places in any of the games.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Quotable Quzar wrote:Scherzo: be careful, just because it's not apparent that the game uses the mapper ability doesnt mean that it never uses it. If you could try to research that and see if it may or may not be used in specific places in any of the games.
Yeah, I thought of that. I'm not going to disable the bank switching functionality at all. I'm going to work on getting it faster, which I've already done some.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

i don't know if this has been mentioned cause i don't want to read the 22 other pages of this thread.

one of my favorite nes emus is the patched version of FCE Ultra with movie playback ability using .fcm files. they are way smaller than divx/mpg files and only a few kb's a file. i was watching a speed run of mike tyson's punch-out!! and the .fcm file was only 21KB. pretty cool.

is it possible to add .fcm or .nsm support in NesterDC SE.? i know FCE ultra is open source, so maybe it could?
DC FoReVeR.!!!