Ever wanted a REAL HD Sonic 2?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ever wanted a REAL HD Sonic 2?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Speaking of modern Sonic games, how was "Sonic the Hedgehog"? I know it had godawful load times, and I've heard there's some horrifying bit where Sonic has a love interest thing happening with a human princess. :o

I seem to remember reviews pretty much berating it...but was it essentially another Sonic Adventure, with the same sorts of flaws as SA1 & 2, or was there more to it than that?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

just played the demo of sonic unleashed. god awful terrible. it is on auto pilot most the time. then you push x and it plays the game even more for you, plowing through everything. I have given up on sega ever making a good sonic game again.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nico0020 wrote:just played the demo of sonic unleashed. god awful terrible. it is on auto pilot most the time. then you push x and it plays the game even more for you, plowing through everything. I have given up on sega ever making a good sonic game again.
The Sonic Advance games were good...which is ironic, considering the fact that they were outsourced to Dimps. The Sonic Rush games for DS are also okay gameplay wise, with two major exceptions: (1) they bog you down with a ton of cutscenes and (2) there are several bottomless pits in the level design. Sonic Advance 1 & 2 were very much a return to form, though.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I liked sonic advance 1 and 3, sonic advance 2 was too much autopilot for me. It had interesting special stages though.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I personally liked the Sonic Adventure games a lot.
Sonic 360/PS3 I absolutely can't stand. The controls are so awkward and the story is horrible (not to say Sonic games ever had amazing stories).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eviltaco64X wrote:I personally liked the Sonic Adventure games a lot.
Sonic 360/PS3 I absolutely can't stand. The controls are so awkward and the story is horrible (not to say Sonic games ever had amazing stories).
The story has *always* been stupid in Sonic games, which is why it's so maddening that they seem to focus more and more on it. And it just all went to hell with Sonic Adventure, when they moved things to Earth and...well, they have stuck with the understated, implied-from-gameplay story of the Genesis games. Evil scientist/dictator conquers and industrializes planet, turns populace into robot minions.

Frankly (and I'm a little embarrassed saying this, considering how dumb the show was), if they really felt the need to focus more on story, they would have been better off going with the the premise from the SatAM cartoon. It wasn't a very good show, and several of the characters were incredibly annoying, but at least the premise was solid...and Robotnik himself was more menacing than he ever was in the games.