GTA 4 page updated

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

That trailer was terribly disappointing. Nothing about it seemed even remotely different from Liberty City (other than the character, of course).
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been thanked: 0

Post by SuperMegatron »

Yonke wrote:edit:
the character sound like he have russian accent....

or middle east??

He must be Russian. There is no way they would make a game where you play as a middle easterner who assaults americans and blows up buildings.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea that trailer was pretty lame. I guess its going to be liberty city again with a Russian dude. Did not give any details as to what the theme would be (IE music, era, etc). Not enough information to judge the game itself, but considering the wait that trailer was crap.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Veggita, Liberty City could be one of many as far as we know. :D
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Just posted this on BlueGuerilla:
Just talking to Iced Coffee Man about this. I'm kind of pissed it's in Liberty City, AGAIN! I'm hoping that LC only plays a minor role in this game. Whether it be at the start or the end, who knows. But it seems dumb to re-use the same city AGAIN! GTA3 was in Liberty City. Liberty City Stories was obviously there. Now they want GTA4 there too. Not to mention that GTA had Liberty City as a selectable city. So far I'm counting 4 games that Liberty City has been featured in.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

GTA
GTA2
GTA3
Liberty City Stories
San Andreas had part of liberty city stories
GTAIV

Five. GTA is pretty much the standard starter city for a "flagship" GTA game.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

MAybe It will be like San Andreas and have New York city and some of the areas around it. I think driving the country roads was probably one of the more entertaining features of San Adreas. There is plenty of GTA clones that let you run around a city, but not many that have a full set of country roads, little towns, etc.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah. I really wouldn't expect this game to be as geographically limited as Liberty City was in past occurances.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Imo this could be a trick from rockstar to make us all think its set in Liberty City,
where really that could end up being the ending to the game.
After you finish it you see the main character doing and saying what he is doing and saying in that trailer and then the credits roll. :P .

And then when they bring out them extra missions they where talking about they might be set in liberty city.

Or it could be like what was already said, LC could be only a part of a much bigger place .
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

SuperMegatron wrote: He must be Russian. There is no way they would make a game where you play as a middle easterner who assaults americans and blows up buildings.
That would own, purely on the basis of the hypocritical outrage that would ensue.

He is clearly Eastern European though.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Here's an article that makes that trailer seem a whole lot more interesting. They highlight a whole lot of the things that we may not have noticed during the trailer.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I noticed one of the boats said libery city on it. It didn't notice this until I watched the trailor on Xbox live. It actually looks like a amazing game after watching it in full screen in good quality. This is assuming those was in-game shots and not rendered scenes. I imagine they was in game though wasn't that pretty much stated a month before it was released. Looks like even though it might involve Liberty City it probably wont' be anywhere near the same lay out which is a + for me.

Even if multiple cities are not available on launch its possible in the downloadable content they might be?

Still a pretty lame trailor considering the hype, but I am still excited about this game.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

New details according to Game Informer. It seems San Andreas was the peak of the series.

-Liberty City only city in the game
-No Planes
-No open enviroments
-About the size of manhattan and a few parts of New Jersey

Shitty. Just shitty.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Huh.

The details I heard actually piqued my interest more than the trailer did.
The game will be as significantly different as GTA III was to the previous top-down crime capers, Rockstar founder Dan Houser told Game Informer, and will offer much wider choice and freedom to the player.
Advertisement

As we already know from the trailer, GTA IV will take place in Liberty City (New York) in 2007, and will revolve around an Eastern European fellow. This chap, the main character, is Niko Bellic - an immigrant in search of the "American Dream".

His cousin Roman persuaded him to make the move by boasting a life of luxury, but it eventually turns out he was using this as a cover to hide his own failures. He'll be your only contact until you can find your feet, and ultimately carve out your own destiny.

One of the biggest differences in the new game will be the way you interact with other people. In previous iterations you've been at the beck and call of others, picking up your phone to receive orders. But this time around you'll be able to dial out, calling people to arrange rendezvouses and correlate your own plans. There will still be an element of following someone else's game plan, but the freedom of choice is something Rockstar is proudly standing by.

In GTA IV, four of the five boroughs of New York have been recreated for you to explore, as well as parts of New Jersey. Broker is the equivalent of Brooklyn, Manhattan is now Algonquin, Queens becomes Dukes, the Bronx is Brohan, and New Jersey transforms into Alderney.

While that doesn't give the fourth game the largest geographical playing field in the series, the level of detail and freedom should apparently more than make up for it.

We've already seen the impressive lighting effects, sumptuous skyline, and next-gen sheen from the trailer. What is less evident is the vastly enhanced AI, where NPCs will walk and talk much more convincingly, going about their daily routines around you. And apparently the game will only look better as we get closer to launch.

As with other games you can expect voice acting and an impressive array of radio stations to choose from while you're joyriding in Liberty City. However, it's unlikely we'll see Hollywood actors in the lead roles in this game, as Rockstar is making an effort to choose less well-known talent, both for voices and for the track listing.

Multiplayer is also going to be included this time around, but it isn't going to be an MMORPG. It's going to be something separate to the single-player experience that will be fun, interesting, and progressive.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

When the Grand Theft Auto IV trailer first unspooled last month, there was much debate on whether or not it was set in New York City. The preview clearly showed New York landmarks such as the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. However, frame-by-frame analysis showed a ship registered to Liberty City, the setting of Grand Theft Auto III, as well as the Liberty Tree newspaper featured in that game.

GTA IV
Niko Belic takes a tour of Liberty City.
Watch | Download

Now, it appears that both theories are right. Leaked scans of the Game Informer's May issue indicate it will feature a major story on Grand Theft Auto IV that reveals many details of the game. One such nugget of information was that yes, the game will be set in Liberty City--but it won't be the same metropolis as GTA III.

In news that will not please Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the new Liberty City is directly modeled on four of New York's five boroughs and part of suburban New Jersey. Each section has been renamed--Brooklyn is now Broker, for example--as have the iconic city's various landmarks. As shown in the trailer, the MetLife Building is now the GetaLife Building, and the Statue of Liberty is now called the Statue of Happiness. The city will also have a smaller land mass than San Andreas, but apparently hardly a speck of open land, with each inch being an imitation of New York City's jam-packed environs.

The article also confirms the game's protagonist is an immigrant from an unnamed Eastern European country. Named Niko Belic, he apparently arrives in the US after an extensive correspondence with his cousin Roman, who claims to have amassed wealth, cars, and girlfriends. When Niko arrives, though, he discovers Roman is a poor taxi-stand manager who has apparently become mixed up in Liberty City's multiethnic underworld.

As expected, GTA IV will have much-improved physics over prior installments in the series. Its use of the new RAGE engine, previously used in Rockstar Presents Table Tennis, will allow for much more fluid character animation, which will affect the environments when appropriate.

In GTA IV, non-player characters will also reportedly be superior to prior installments. In February, Rockstar licensed NaturalMotion's Euphoria technology--also being seen in the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed--which allows for complex NPC behavior and realistic NPC movement. Officially, Rockstar is using the engine only in "next-generation titles." However, NPCs in GTA IV sound like a complex bunch indeed, with such things as drinking and speech varying according to ethnic and economic types, according to GI.

Other tidbits in the May Game Informer include confirmation that GTA IV is set in the present day, and will have a corresponding soundtrack. It will also allow characters to enter and exit buildings with out San Andreas-style load times. Last but certainly not least, the game will feature some sort of multiplayer component, but not be massively multiplayer, as some had rumored.

The news was not all good, however. As rumored, the game will not feature any planes, presumably to avoid the publicity trainwreck of having Niko fly one into a replica of a New York landmark, 9/11-style. The game will have motorcycles, however.

Grand Theft Auto IV will arrive on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the US and Europe in mid-October. The May issue of Game Informer should arrive on newsstands in around two weeks, and features screenshots of the game.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

They always make things seem cooler then they are in writing like that.

Code: Select all

Super Mario World (SNES)

That's right, grab your plunger because the princess had been kidnapped again!  In this new Mario game from Nintendo you take on the role of the most famous plumbers around Mario Mario, or Luigi Mario in 2-player mode.  Explore the huge landscape of Dinosaur Land, either on foot or uptop your trusty dinosaur Yoshi.  The addition of Yoshi in this game is really a breakthrough, Yoshi is able to eat hordes of enemys and (now how cool is this) you can hold an enemy in Yoshi's mouth then spit it right back out at another enemy! 

This game features some of the most exciting power-ups we've ever seen.  Grab a flower, and suddenly you have the power to throw fireballs!   Take out entire armys of King Bowsers Koopa minons with ease.  Tired of walking?  Then go get yourself a feather, and enjoy the sights of Dinosaur Land from a birds eye view!  You can even do a dive-bomb sneak attack on an enemy while flying.    

Locales range from dark underground mines, highly-detailed underwater worlds, beautiful sunny scenery and even a secret world named "Star World" high above the clouds, if you're lucky enough to get there.  We've even heard rumors of yet ANOTHER secret world inside the star world.  If that wasn't enough for you there are tons of levels with secret exits.  Enough to keep you playing for a long time.  

Each world in Dinosaur land has a castle with one of Koopas top assasins who does not want you to get past his castle!  Each world also includes a "Ghost House" level in which you must avoid the spirts of former Koopas in a high-detailed and highly-frightening haunted house.  This sums up our brief review of the game.  Stay tuned for more updates.  As for me Dinosaur World is calling my name.
Last edited by Calavera on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Super Mario World couldn't be any cooler than it is - it exceeds any possible hype that might get thrown at it by virtue of being just about the greatest 2D platform game ever made.

EDIT: Eviln, that article you quoted doesn't actually contain any gameplay details other than Planes are missing; it just points out that Liberty City looks like New York (duh) and what engine / motion capture software they're using.

The one I posted contains actual gameplay elements (eg being able to make outgoing calls on your mobile, multiplayer designed seperately from the 'real game' (presumably like Saints Row did) etc)
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I agree that Super Mario World is hands down the greatest 2D platform game ever. I was just really bored and I'm sure most people understood what I was getting at.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

In GTA IV, four of the five boroughs of New York have been recreated for you to explore, as well as parts of New Jersey. Broker is the equivalent of Brooklyn, Manhattan is now Algonquin, Queens becomes Dukes, the Bronx is Brohan, and New Jersey transforms into Alderney.
Nobody loves Staten Island. My sister has lived in Manhattan for like 8 years and STILL hasn't been there, which is pretty typical. It'll never get any love, will it?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It's kind of a shame that we won't see planes, but I guess we saw it coming. It would be a nightmare to implement anyway probably. I'm sure people's next-gen expectations would want to see actual building damage if you crash a plane into them.

With the heavily built up areas and smaller land mass it's not like planes are gonna be that great anyway.