Nintendo Wii bundeled with Opera Browser

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

heh

Post by ASCIIN »

meh console web browsing always seemed weird to me and was only really useful when downloading contents for games but as a general brower, eh and the whole "opera included" seems to be nothing more than a gimic.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

I've got a feeling Opera offered to throw in a Wii version of the browser for cheap as part of the deal for the DS version.

Ironically, this is probably the piece of software that will be most limited by the Wii's lack of support for high definition resolutions.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Given that Opera will work quite happily on phones with absolutely tiny screen resolutions, I doubt that's going to be a problem.

Besides, there's really no technical reason the Wii hardware couldn't be made to output high-def resolutions. All you really need is the ability to output to some video format that can carry a high-def signal (component, DVI or VGA will all do the trick), video hardware that doesn't enforce a small number of pre-programmed video modes (which no current console hardware does, including the Gamecube), and enough memory bandwidth to display the pixels at a fast enough rate.

The PS2 can be persuaded to run at 1080i, which should be pretty much impossible. There's just about enough VRAM available to hold a single 1080i frame (1920x540), without room for anything else, and the hardware was certainly not designed to be able to do HDTV. Same deal with the Xbox - a few Xbox games manage 720p. A Dreamcast can do all kinds of strange video modes, including weird low resolutions like 256x224, or resolutions that a TV can't display like 800x608.

Of course, if Nintendo don't allow direct access to the hardware (like Sega did with the Dreamcast), and only provide for SDTV resolutions, then there's nothing third-party developers can do about it.