Where do you see the DC "scene" 1 year from now?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

I have no idea of what's going to happen this year, but there are 2 things I would like to see happening:
- Dial-up network being used in homebrew stuff.
- Someone else writing a hardware-accelerated renderer for nxMakaqu (because it's far beyond my current skills).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

I still have one or two projects kicking around that might see the light of day before the end of '06 - it's all just a matter of motivation...

The thing you helped me with Metafox, that ought to see another release before too long - and another project I started looking at.

I would like to do something more with Joggle too - but it's always disappointed me how poor a reception it's received.

It'd be good to see more on the emulation front too - I would still like to see a nice MAME emulator - I'm not convinced that it couldn't be drastically improved.

Someone mentioned a light-gun game - I should be able to do something there - My main problem, as usual, is the graphics... anyone think they can produce some for a light-gun game - perhaps something like one of those 'bash the creatures that pop up' games?
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I'm not only saying this because Warmtoe just reminded of it, I was gonna say it after reading the first page anyway:

I'd like to see more work on Joggle!

Screw the reception, it's a great game regardless and should continue to be worked on just for that reason. Sad as it is, *NO* original Dreamcast homebrew game has really gotten the attention it deserves. Nothing to be done about that, though, except maybe to sneak up on the sleepers and blow them away with a fabulous, original and fully polished game.

In addition to Joggle, Alice Dreams is the other game I most hope continues its development in 2006. Aside from dRxLax, that's the game that I always thought stood the greatest chance of really breaking through and catching people's attention. Even more so than Feet Of Fury or Cool Herders.

I'm certainly also looking forward to DCastle and hoping that Atani releases Chain Reaction. I also often wonder if Marfitude will finally get a playable realease, that'd be a real nice game.

So, that's what I'd like to see from other people. I'd also like to see myself finally release something. Starting a game from scratch on a system as complicated as the Dreamcast is daunting for someone like me who has never formally been taught how to program in C, but I have some game concepts in my head (including one that uses both the mic and the lightgun, though not in any way that you would guess) that are nagging at me. I think it'll happen.

Homebrew first forever, but I'm not above emulation, no. I'd really like to see other M68000 based arcade hardware, such as the CPS, get emulated as well as the Neo Geo. And maybe finally TurboGrafx-16 emulator.

Lastly, I would like to see Jeff Minter start deving on the Dreamcast and release Unity for our fair system.

...word is bondage...
ThePoetEmrys
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ThePoetEmrys »

Sweater Fish wrote:Lastly, I would like to see Jeff Minter start deving on the Dreamcast and release Unity for our fair system.
I was so upset when I found out development for this game was cancelled, it looked so intriging.

On to the topic, I am really really looking forward to Genesis+, and have been ever since the GUI topic got started and Lyris made his killer mockups.

Here's to hoping we have full Genesis emulation by the end of '06.

Also, I would absolutly love to see a full speed SNES emu, and maybe two or three years down the line a NesterDC SE style emulator for the SNES. Scherzo really showed us how a disc should be done.
Jet Set Radio!!!!!!
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Ugh, I'll get Viva done sometime this year...

I'm working on a 2D Action, RPG for PC and Dreamcast called "Deadsky." I really hate starting other projects before I get done with previous ones, but this one is a school project that could earn me a one year scholarship.

Imagine Zelda gameplay mechanics with a PSO battle system.

Then I have a BUTTLOAD of good ideas for Viva. Thank you god that I didn't finish it until after Christmas. Guitar Hero has actually given me tons of good ideas that I think would spicen up a Samba formula quite well.

I know I take forever. I really haven't released anything awesome. I just get so caught up in other stuff. It's so hard for me to get the motivation to dev sometimes, and I have a lot of cool stuff done, but I'm not somebody who would release something until I personally deem it commercial quality.

I am really looking forward to seeing all DC emulators mature as well as the very promising DC homebrew in development.

Something that I'm just dying for is modem to modem networking with DCs though. That could take DC homebrew and multiplayer to the next level...
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

i don't think i've ever tried any homebrews other than emulators.
The DC scene should be working on emulators for it to keep it alive
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

drybed wrote:i don't think i've ever tried any homebrews other than emulators.
The DC scene should be working on emulators for it to keep it alive
The two DreamCon conventions and the sales of the four GOAT Store games prove that there are people who are interested in independent games on the Dreamcast, and not just emulators. I'm sorry if you aren't one of them, but there are enough emulators on the Dreamcast already to keep you happy, and quite a few more coming in the future.

You should try out some independent games sometime though. If you are near a DreamCon when it happens, be sure to stop by. We've always got a ton of independent games to play, as well as official releases and emulator compilations from DCEvolution. I'm positive I could get you hooked on at least one independent release - we've managed to change quite a few people's minds who only were interested in emulation on the Dreamcast at DreamCons in the past. I'm sure I could change yours. There really are some real gems hidden in the Dreamcast's independent library - the first step is trying them out. With programs like Dream Inducer, you can even fill your disc up with games, so you'll appease your emulator side that's used to hundreds of games for free - except this time you won't even worry about a guilty conscience, since they're completely legal for redistribution.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i'd like see someone recomplie dreamsnes from the more modern 9x sources just to get some of the bugfixes incorporated and add a sound rate selector to the menu (i'd attempt this myself if i had the skills).

a new SNES emu would be nice but i'd like to see it built on whats been done before and everyone interested in such working together.

i'd like to see someone seriously takle some arcade emus, either from new MAME sources or whatever (and again i'd have ago myself at a few 'tiny complies' if it was as easy as setting up and compiling MAME for PC).

on the whole i think that some effort should be put in to documenting the rom sets used in arcade emus as its somewhat key - witness the carry on surrounding the neogeo emu, great as it is, that hardly anyone can get to work.

i'm hoping greatly for a CPS1 emu before the end of this year.

those are what i'd like to see (within the realms of possiblity)

emulation on DC is my main interest, as far as the homebrew stuff goes i await to see what comes this way . . .
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

This year has already brought a big surprise:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... ual/trunk/

If the polls continue into 2007, Marcus Comstedt has my vote already for favorite coder of 2006.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Sweater Fish wrote:Screw the reception, it's a great game regardless and should continue to be worked on just for that reason. Sad as it is, *NO* original Dreamcast homebrew game has really gotten the attention it deserves.
The problem is that for many developers the actual process of developing is not that much fun. For me personally I've found that I really need positive user feedback to keep my motivation for a certain project alive over a longer period of time.

This brings me to DreamChess. MrSiggler and I have decided to release DreamChess 0.1.0 asap. We keep wanting to change things which just pushes the first official release further and further back. Whether the Dreamcast port has a future depends mostly on the "scene".
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I really start to like this thread. The more I read the more happy I get. :)
There really is much more things going on than it seems.
This brings me to DreamChess. MrSiggler and I have decided to release DreamChess 0.1.0 asap. We keep wanting to change things which just pushes the first official release further and further back. Whether the Dreamcast port has a future depends mostly on the "scene".
Im interested in Dreamchess! I was actually about to do a chess-set but I never got time to do it. Might happen when the next version is out.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Has anybody besides me noticed the irony in the fact that the Dreamcast is probably going to commercially outlast GC, PS2, and Xbox?

Wow... pwnt? Looks like the 'Cast didn't lose the console war after all. )()(
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Has anybody besides me noticed the irony in the fact that the Dreamcast is probably going to commercially outlast GC, PS2, and Xbox?

Wow... pwnt? Looks like the 'Cast didn't lose the console war after all. Spinning
lol never thought of it that way.
For me personally I've found that I really need positive user feedback to keep my motivation for a certain project alive over a longer period of time.
thats one thing i never understood is why anyone gives bad feedback about anything. its a good thing the scene has lasted as long as it has because most the lamers ar long gone and its a lot of good feedback most the time.

And of course we cant forget AleronIves, Jodin, and Schthack keeping the PSO community alive and updated with new quests! :)
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Wow... pwnt? Looks like the 'Cast didn't lose the console war after all. Spinning
That is quite cool really. Never though of it.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

GyroVorbis wrote:Has anybody besides me noticed the irony in the fact that the Dreamcast is probably going to commercially outlast GC, PS2, and Xbox?
I highly doubt it is going to commercially outlast the PlayStation 2.

The PlayStation 2 is roughly as popular as the original PSOne, and the last PSOne game was just released in 2004.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Nico0020 wrote:thats one thing i never understood is why anyone gives bad feedback about anything. its a good thing the scene has lasted as long as it has because most the lamers ar long gone and its a lot of good feedback most the time.
I hardly ever get bad feedback, However, I frequently get little or no feedback at all, I'm not sure which is worse. For example, I posted a FreeSCI 0.3.5 binary on a GP32 forum, and didn't get a single reply. ;)

It seems like people only get excited about SNES, NES and Genesis emulators. Unfortunately I have no interest in developing those.
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I must say I was surprised with the amount of replies about the latest Dreamcast release of FreeSCI here.

Usually the only person who replies about that interpreter is me. It's nice to see that I'm not the only adventure fan around these parts.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

MetaFox wrote:I must say I was surprised with the amount of replies about the latest Dreamcast release of FreeSCI here.

Usually the only person who replies about that interpreter is me.
Actually my posts here usually get a fair number of replies. (It's a different matter on dcemu uk).

My main disappointment was with DreamChess however. It takes a lot more effort to make a game like DreamChess than it takes to port an emulator like FreeSCI. I thought (perhaps naively) that I would be able to get people involved, making themes, music, etc. However, it quickly became obvious that I had overestimated the scene.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I still intend to contribute stuff to DreamChess.

The problem is I overextend myself with stuff all the time. I'm always working on about 40 or so projects at once.

EDIT: I didn't know you wanted music though. I'll add that to my to-do list as well.
Last edited by MetaFox on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.