NesterSE Preview Video

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AuroEdge »

Excessive wrote:
scherzo wrote:
You all are right. Castlevania 3 is actually running below fullspeed there. It hurts my soul very much. This is the first game I've encountered during testing to be slow. Of course, I'll do whatever I can to improve speed before release.
I have faith in you Scherzo! Just take all time that you need to perfect the emulator!! I think it is truly amazing how far you have come with it!! Thanks for putting up with all your hard work! :D
I'm not trying to demean the creators of Nester nor NesterDC, but how can NesterDC be "perfected" when:
1.) It is ported code, not native code for the Dreamcast. I don't see how ported code can be "perfected".
2.) Nester on the PC isn't perfect so...
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

He is actually improving the base emulator and plans to do a DC AND PC release of it. He has taken information from other emulators such as NNesterJ or whatever its called. On top of that he has gone and debuged line by line to try to fix emulation in games that are broken.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Juan wrote:Street Fighter III is probably the best pirate game in the NES (I don't forget Final Fight 3 and Somari). Music is sweet; overall I like it better than the official SMS version.
Hehm I like the music so much I used to load it in NesterDC 6 just to listen (messed up graphs, I wonder if there was a mapper problem).
Oh man. Thanks for mentioning those 3 games. I just got them and love all 3. SF 3 is amazing to play.
Excessive
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Excessive »

AuroEdge wrote:
Excessive wrote:
scherzo wrote:
You all are right. Castlevania 3 is actually running below fullspeed there. It hurts my soul very much. This is the first game I've encountered during testing to be slow. Of course, I'll do whatever I can to improve speed before release.
I have faith in you Scherzo! Just take all time that you need to perfect the emulator!! I think it is truly amazing how far you have come with it!! Thanks for putting up with all your hard work! :D
I'm not trying to demean the creators of Nester nor NesterDC, but how can NesterDC be "perfected" when:
1.) It is ported code, not native code for the Dreamcast. I don't see how ported code can be "perfected".
2.) Nester on the PC isn't perfect so...
Alright, alright. :|
MINOPLIS
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by MINOPLIS »

there's a rom called "Super HIK 4-in-1" that has a game called master fighter 3, which is nothing but the street fighter 2 yoko with bison (or "VIGA") selectable, i played it last night on nester dc 6.0, but the game apparently has no ending, only one line appear and then the credits...

about street fighter 3, looks like it's just a mapper problem since other emulators also have these same errors... i hope scherzo fix it (mapper 91), and street fighter IV (mapper 189)...
PEIDA AGORA... ...PARA N?O PEIDAR NA HORA!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

A lot of the problems with mappers is simply because the NES header is incorrect. For instance, the copy of CV3 I had, which checked out fine by GoodNES, didn't work. But a different copy, the one used in the vid, works fine. And it's all because of the header having the wrong mapper num.

The way to fix this is not necessarily fixing the mapper. Nester has a large chunk of code that uses the CRC (which is based on the whole ROM minus the mapper) instead of the header to determine the correct mapper. In my case of the bad CV3, I just have to go in and add it's CRC to long string of tests, and set the mapper to the correct one.

I suspect that there are a bunch of games that don't "work" because of this. I just have to use your input to find 'em.

On another topic... I thought I almost lost all my DC code yesterday. My hard drive developed some bad sectors. Windows would no longer boot. I had to run chkdsk and reinstall Windows on top of the old one. I think everything is OK now.
:o
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o ...

...would you please do a backup of your HD!? ...like right now!? :P :wink:

not that I'd do something like that even if my whole hd would only have 10mbytes of good sectors left and i put about a year of work into a project stored on it...
Insane homebrew collector.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Yes. PLEASE backup your HD.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ominous 0nionfrog »

Yes.. Please back things up.. we dont want a disastor like gpengine on the gp32 scene.. :o :cry: :D
jaredfogle wrote: Every time you jack off, you kill thousands of "people."
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Bad sectors have this tendency to not be an isolated incident. Thankfully HDs are very inexpensive right now - but you should definitely toast all your important stuff to a CD or two.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

or DVDs if you have a DVD burner.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

:|
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

scherzo wrote:A lot of the problems with mappers is simply because the NES header is incorrect. For instance, the copy of CV3 I had, which checked out fine by GoodNES, didn't work. But a different copy, the one used in the vid, works fine. And it's all because of the header having the wrong mapper num.

The way to fix this is not necessarily fixing the mapper. Nester has a large chunk of code that uses the CRC (which is based on the whole ROM minus the mapper) instead of the header to determine the correct mapper. In my case of the bad CV3, I just have to go in and add it's CRC to long string of tests, and set the mapper to the correct one.

I suspect that there are a bunch of games that don't "work" because of this. I just have to use your input to find 'em.

On another topic... I thought I almost lost all my DC code yesterday. My hard drive developed some bad sectors. Windows would no longer boot. I had to run chkdsk and reinstall Windows on top of the old one. I think everything is OK now.
Man, seems like I jinxed you Scherzo. Remember what my "prophecy" was in the other topic? Heh, u asked for it. :twisted:
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

MINOPLIS wrote:there's a rom called "Super HIK 4-in-1" that has a game called master fighter 3, which is nothing but the street fighter 2 yoko with bison (or "VIGA") selectable, i played it last night on nester dc 6.0, but the game apparently has no ending, only one line appear and then the credits...
Thanks! Yeah, I just played it and the game has no credits when you beat it with "Viga", but then I've beaten it again with Ryu, and the ending is there.

Damn, I forgot how plain cheap the boss is in the second round. I just remembered how angry I used to be at this game because of this when I was a kid.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Jamirus
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Jamirus »

Will the new Nester play Koei games (e.g. Uncharted Waters, Bandit Kings, Gemfire)? Cause these seem to have some rather special mappers.

Also, I never tried it, but does Nester - maybe even the versions before- play FC disk images?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

scherzo wrote:A lot of the problems with mappers is simply because the NES header is incorrect. For instance, the copy of CV3 I had, which checked out fine by GoodNES, didn't work. But a different copy, the one used in the vid, works fine. And it's all because of the header having the wrong mapper num.

Please don't be naive, not an insult at all, but back up your work. I can't believe some of the programmers that spend thousand of hours on their work and don't back it up on a 20 cent cdr or a dvd.
Last edited by law56ker on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Jamirus wrote:Will the new Nester play Koei games (e.g. Uncharted Waters, Bandit Kings, Gemfire)? Cause these seem to have some rather special mappers.

Also, I never tried it, but does Nester - maybe even the versions before- play FC disk images?
He was working on it and yes.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

I remember Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball having this exact problem. The ROM that goodnes said was a good one didn't work, but a bad dump did. Add that one to your list to check out. :)

As well, I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but is there any way to get 31 in 1, 100 in 1, etc. games to work? What is it that's keeping them from working?
nomis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nomis »

Does someone know if the translated version of just breed, 100 world stories and kid dracula will work on this super deluxe version?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

We dont know anything, sit tight, hopefully Scherzo will fix them. If you have the crc and header, I would suggest you submit them so he can check it out.

Its Special Edition, not Super Deluxe.

You gave me a scare, Scherzo. I shitted myself when you talked of a bad drive. No joke. Back all the nesterdc stuff up first.

CANT WAIT!