Is driving hard?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Wagh
Wagh
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wagh »

Code-Red wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:
wes1406 wrote:Also, stick shifts are cheaper to buy.
:)
Yeah, if you can find one. They seem to be disappearing off the face of the planet nowadays. I was looking for a nice, new F-150, and couldn't find one manual on the lot.
I hate all these god damn auto-manual style "Shiftmatic" cars that are coming out now. I want either automatic or manual. No inbetween or cross. Those transmissions are gay anyways, ever try racing with one? Doesnt work.
Save for you know.. the new ones. If you couldn't get it to work it's your own damn fault.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Ive got a GT Class B licence for racing cars in Ontario, pal. Im sure if anyone in here knows how to drive cars its me (or btk :wink:). Anyways, these tranmissions do suck. They're shift points are long, and its a pain in the ass to click them to shift down 3 or 4 gears when rounding a tight corner.

The only place these transmissions should be used is in racing sports, and for replacment of automatic transmissions. Stick shift will always be the fastest, most fuel economic, and most controlled way to drive a vehicle.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Random_Troll wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:
Yeah, if you can find one. They seem to be disappearing off the face of the planet nowadays. I was looking for a nice, new F-150, and couldn't find one manual on the lot.
Next year toyota is doing away with manuals all together. There just isn't a market for them anymore. Auto's and the semi's are all you need anymore.
Yeah, most of the diehard "stickshift or nothing!" peoplve i've seen are stupid teens that like gyrating a long hard piece of metal.

There are some that know how to shift correctly, but they are few and far between.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Code-Red wrote:Ive got a GT Class B licence for racing cars in Ontario, pal. Im sure if anyone in here knows how to drive cars its me (or btk :wink:). Anyways, these tranmissions do suck. They're shift points are long, and its a pain in the ass to click them to shift down 3 or 4 gears when rounding a tight corner.

The only place these transmissions should be used is in racing sports, and for replacment of automatic transmissions. Stick shift will always be the fastest, most fuel economic, and most controlled way to drive a vehicle.
Sorry but your canadian racing licecne means nothing to me. Partially because I've driven in canada. Secondly because a racing license means all of nothing to me.

Automatic transmissions are becoming faster and more reliable than manual. It's just the way it's going. Take the g35. The 5speed manual is actually a few miliseconds behind the 5 speed auto in a race. Sorry You are wrong. Deal.
Giving H-E-A-D head
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Random_Troll wrote:
Code-Red wrote:Ive got a GT Class B licence for racing cars in Ontario, pal. Im sure if anyone in here knows how to drive cars its me (or btk :wink:). Anyways, these tranmissions do suck. They're shift points are long, and its a pain in the ass to click them to shift down 3 or 4 gears when rounding a tight corner.

Sorry but your canadian racing licecne means nothing to me. Partially because I've driven in canada. Secondly because a racing license means all of nothing to me.

Automatic transmissions are becoming faster and more reliable than manual. It's just the way it's going. Take the g35. The 5speed manual is actually a few miliseconds behind the 5 speed auto in a race. Sorry You are wrong. Deal.
My grandfather used to know this mechanic that would make dragsters... He said that automatics were pretty much on par if not better than manuals, and this is back in the late 60s.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I dont recall Inifiniti making the G35 with a 5-speed manual, Im pretty sure they had a 5speed automatic and a 6 speed manual. And just because you've driven here means what? Its not like Americans tracks are any different than Canadian tracks...other then the weather conditions.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Code-Red wrote:I dont recall Inifiniti making the G35 with a 5-speed manual, Im pretty sure they had a 5speed automatic and a 6 speed manual. And just because you've driven here means what? Its not like Americans tracks are any different than Canadian tracks...other then the weather conditions.
Eitherway, the automatic is obscenly faster than the manual. As for Canada. Your drivers suck ASS. Saying you can race proves nothing to me.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Wow, what a stupid comment. Anyways, if you knew anything about cars, you would know that most are stock tuned to switch gears anywhere in between 3 to 4k rpm depending on how much you are on the gas, or if its switched into overdrive, this is because revving the engine high wears it out. Having it set at stock like this makes the engine, and transmission for that matter last much longer. Seeing as how you cant specify when you would like the automatic to switch gears, the manual would come out faster switching gears at a higher rpm, gaining speed faster.

Unless you have a sport tuned automatic transmission, the manual will always be faster. Deal. Moron.
Last edited by Code-Red on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Code-Red wrote:Wow, what a stupid comment. Anyways, if you knew anything about cars, you would know that most are stock tuned to switch gears anywhere in between 3 to 4k rpm depending on how much you are on the gas, or if its switched into overdrive, this is because revving the engine high wears it out. Having it set at stock like this makes the engine, and transmission for that matter last much longer. Seening as how you cant specify when you would like the automatic to switch gears, the manual would come out faster switching gears at a higher rpm, gaining speed faster.

Unless you have a sport tuned automatic transmission, the manual will always be faster. Deal. Moron.
Wow. what a stupid comment. Anyways, I used to respect you, I really did. However, in light of recent events ( you being a cunt ) I don't anymore. Beleive what you like, but when it boils down to it manuals arnt able to keep up with their automatic competitors anymore. Your kind is a dying breed. Do the world a favor and go ahead and shoot yourself.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Do I need respect from anyone on a internet forum? Nah. The fact you would resort to personal insult in a argument shows your inability to prove me wrong. Sad really.

And for future reference, I was talking about the Tipronic/Shiftmatic transmissions. If you wish to sit in your car all day and press gas, and brake, gas and brake, turn the steering wheel, gas and brake, you go ahead. Automatics are boring and slow.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Well automatics can out do manual now.If you knew anythign about modern cars you'd know this.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Code-Red wrote:Do I need respect from anyone on a internet forum? Nah. The fact you would resort to personal insult in a argument shows your inability to prove me wrong. Sad really.

And for future reference, I was talking about the Tipronic/Shiftmatic transmissions. If you wish to sit in your car all day and press gas, and brake, gas and brake, turn the steering wheel, gas and brake, you go ahead. Automatics are boring and slow.
Wow, that really hurts. So it's bad for me to make personal insults but not you? That's cool. As for automatics being boring and slow..

You are anything but right.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Random_Troll wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:
Next year toyota is doing away with manuals all together. There just isn't a market for them anymore. Auto's and the semi's are all you need anymore.
Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Are they doing away with it on all cars, even the Supra and such?

I have an RSX, and it's a 5-speed. I've driven both the automatic, and the 5-speed version of the car. I only choose the 5-speed, since I've been driving them since the day I started to drive. The auto seemed a bit faster, but I don't care about speed. I drive the car because I like it, and I lilke the way it drives. I am not an automatic hater either, just so used to the 5-speeds that auto's feel funny (for a whole 20 seconds until you adjust back)
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

They arent still making the Supra are they?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Code-Red wrote:They arent still making the Supra are they?
Wait, I think they did stop making it back in the late 90's. Shows how much I know, and care about cars anymore.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

zerotype wrote:Well automatics can out do manual now.If you knew anythign about modern cars you'd know this.
This depends on the driver. What Code-Red said about the shifting in automatics is correct. Even if you are able to control your first 2 or 3 gears, like that 350ZX Random_Troll posted, after the third gear, even if you have it floored, fourth is gonna shift at roughly 5,000 rpm. With a manual, you can shift in 8000 rpm the whole way, thus obviously gaining the edge on an automatic. I prefer manual to automatic any day. They are more fun to drive.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

that_guy wrote:
zerotype wrote:Well automatics can out do manual now.If you knew anythign about modern cars you'd know this.
This depends on the driver. What Code-Red said about the shifting in automatics is correct. Even if you are able to control your first 2 or 3 gears, like that 350ZX Random_Troll posted, after the third gear, even if you have it floored, fourth is gonna shift at roughly 5,000 rpm. With a manual, you can shift in 8000 rpm the whole way, thus obviously gaining the edge on an automatic. I prefer manual to automatic any day. They are more fun to drive.
It's a 300zx. Not a 350z.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

that_guy wrote:
No actualy no on newer more expensive cars the automatics out do manual.Becuase how they are specialy made to switch for optmial performance.Fast is you CAN NOT out do a car that has a system like that(I know a few racing cars have em')
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Random_Troll wrote:
Code-Red wrote:Wow, what a stupid comment. Anyways, if you knew anything about cars, you would know that most are stock tuned to switch gears anywhere in between 3 to 4k rpm depending on how much you are on the gas, or if its switched into overdrive, this is because revving the engine high wears it out. Having it set at stock like this makes the engine, and transmission for that matter last much longer. Seening as how you cant specify when you would like the automatic to switch gears, the manual would come out faster switching gears at a higher rpm, gaining speed faster.

Wow. what a stupid comment. Anyways, I used to respect you, I really did. However, in light of recent events ( you being a vertical bacon sandwich ) I don't anymore. Beleive what you like, but when it boils down to it manuals arnt able to keep up with their automatic competitors anymore. Your kind is a dying breed. Do the world a favor and go ahead and shoot yourself.
No, typicaly manuals are faster if you have some idea what you are doing.
Theres less friction, so that allows more power to be given to the wheels. Ever looked up that stats on your 300zx? It does the quarter faster with a manual.

Autos are getting better though, the new GTO for example is .1 seconds faster with the auto. It's also why the F1 cars have moved to the autos.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I might as well ask...
What is the permit/license age in the UK, Aulstaralia, and anywhere else, including the other parts of the US?

In Montana, it's 14.5 for permit, and 15 for full licence with no limitations.