Poll for those who are over 18 and live with there parents.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Do or did you parents make you pay rent?

I am between 18 and 21 and do have to pay rent.
5%
I am 21 or over and do have to pay rent.
15%
I am between 18 and 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent
27%
I am over 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent.
22%
I live on my own so this does not apply to me.
13%
I am under 18 and DO NOT pay rent.
15%
I am under 18 and do have to pay rent.
4%

Total votes: 55
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SuperMegatron »

Im 27 my mom pays for my rent/Education costs/food/bills/child support payments/& they give me a allowance of 100 a week. They do this only because I am in school and when they cut me off in the past I couldn't afford to keep up my life style
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

SuperMegatron wrote:Im 27 my mom pays for my rent/Education costs/food/bills/child support payments/& they give me a allowance of 100 a week. They do this only because I am in school and when they cut me off in the past I couldn't afford to keep up my life style
....Wow.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Just turned 21 (a month ago) and have been moved out of my mothers place for almost six months.

I, now, work full time but at the time was only casual earning about $300 a week. Sometimes if that. Usually coz my mother is a good for nothing bitch who wouldnt actually get off the internet and pay for things in life, I'd have to pay for pretty much everything. She used my car, and still has it to this day, took my money for rent, food (which consisted of take-away each night :o :x) and because that took up all my money and she didn't have any, we'd be lucky if bills didn't get cut off.

I didn't have it as tough as some families, but living with my mother was one of the single worst experiences of my life. She took all my money, got me into debt and put bad marks against my name with the credit people.

I now live with my girlfriend and we split everything pretty well 50/50 (although I tend to pay more because I have more money). Even if my girlfriend didn't pay anything and I lived here by myself, I would still be better off. Here's why:
Rent = $150 /week
Food = $50 /week (I can live with eating the no-name brand stuff, I work at a supermarket so I know the no-name brand stuff is sometimes just as good as the name brand stuff).
Petrol = $20 - $50 /week (depending).

Total per week = $200 - $250 (depending on how the week goes).
I get paid around $450 a week (had to get a pay cut for going full time). So that leaves $200 in the bank.

Because I have freed myself from any actual debt (I own my car outright), I don't really have anything else to pay in a week.

Bills come every month or 3 months and are as such:
Phone = $50 /month
Elec = $160 /3months
Gas = $? (not sure yet, only paid 1 bill since moving here. I think they're lazy at the gas company)
Internet = $20/month (I know, dialup sucks! :evil:)

So my bills aren't that crazy and I can still manage to survive pretty well, and as I said, I am better off here than with my mother.

I think that to a degree, children paying rent is good. It teaches you about what's ahead of you when you move out of home, but taking your childs entire pay check because you can't stop talking to idiots in yahoo! chat is completely wrong! :evil:

Bah, sorry for the ramblings :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Im 27 my mom pays for my rent/Education costs/food/bills/child support payments/& they give me a allowance of 100 a week. They do this only because I am in school and when they cut me off in the past I couldn't afford to keep up my life style
She pays your child support, o sh1t :lol:
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

SuperMegatron wrote:Im 27 my mom pays for my rent/Education costs/food/bills/child support payments/& they give me a allowance of 100 a week. They do this only because I am in school and when they cut me off in the past I couldn't afford to keep up my life style
wow

My parents used to give me $20 every 2 weeks and that was it. 20 Canadian I might add
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Im 22, married, and yes, we live with my parents. We will be moving out at the beginning of the year, just taking car of some medical bills right now. Currently we do not pay rent, but we do buy groceries and pay the garbage bill, as well as do many house chores (cleaning, etc..)
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

seriously dude that isn't right... have you ever had a job?
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I don't pay rent BUT that is because my mom is almost handicapped so I do all the cooking, cleaning, and food shopping. Also to pay my way though college I deliver news papers with my mom. (It was the only job she could find when my dad died and they gave me a route in the same town as my moms so she drives and I throw)

Now the thing is after that and I have a job I will stay at home helping her with the bills until I pay off my credit card and buy the basic home esq stuff and build up a small bank account. (to poor now to have one I live pay check to pay check)

Now the part that makes it sticky for me moving out are my brother and sister. They are twice my age (I am adopted) and they both screwed up royally. My brother when he moved out (cause he got a girl pregnant) forgot some odd tax he had to pay for a WHOLE YEAR. the bank threated to forclose so my mom morgaged our house to buy his house. (funny thing is instead of paying rent he pays the morgage and taxes) The worse part is he got this house for nothing but the taxes and notery fees because it was a house that was already in our family left by my aunt.

My sister decided to kick out her husband for 2 months. So to help her since she was a house wife (good idea to do, kick out the bread winner because you can't deal with him being an ass [not abususive ass, but just normle ass]) so my mom gave her a credit card like she did for me. Well she charged and charged and they kept bumping up the limit and my mom cancled the card at 40,000 dollares (mine is at 12,000 dollars, and it took me 6 or 7 years for that instead of 2 damn months) Well with this nifty debt my sister decided not to pay it since she didn't have the money, and she did that untill they started to call my mom and harass her. (And I mean harass, they were mean because I listened in on a convo, and I almost vomited from the rage I felt from hearing them talk to my mom like that. The funny thing is because I am 23 my sister calls me a loser for still being at home.
Butters wrote:
Sanchez wrote:*chuckles and waits for the kids to grow up*

I'm 27, lived in an apartment / house since I was 20, and if you're whining about 1/8th-1/4th of your income going towards a room, much less food, water, bills, etc... Welcome to the real world.
I agree. I pay somewhere between 90-100% of my income on bills and food, forcing me to go into debt to have any kind of luxery.
Do I count as a Grown Up? :lol:
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

souLLy wrote:
seriously dude that isn't right... have you ever had a job?
Yeap I was in school 96-98 I worked 98-2001 full time went back to school in 2002 worked part time until oct of that year then I just went to school. I have trouble working and going to school I am dyslexic and I have CFS. It takes me about 3 times longer to read something then a normal person. So its hard to work and have time to study. That said my CFS makes me tired a lot to. I am also lazy but thats not my main problem.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Super Megatron you are awfully forthcoming with your condition and your widely looked down upon relationship with your mom. I just find that interesting, I imagine half the people who say there moved out arent in this thread. I just find it interesting that you have absolutely no worry of being "judged" for somebody with a background as yours.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Master Higgins wrote:Super Megatron you are awfully forthcoming with your condition and your widely looked down upon relationship with your mom. I just find that interesting, I imagine half the people who say there moved out arent in this thread. I just find it interesting that you have absolutely no worry of being "judged" for somebody with a background as yours.
I find his forthrightness refreshing considering the BS excuses I've heard from so many other people about any convenient situation they're in.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Master Higgins wrote:Super Megatron you are awfully forthcoming with your condition and your widely looked down upon relationship with your mom. I just find that interesting, I imagine half the people who say there moved out arent in this thread. I just find it interesting that you have absolutely no worry of being "judged" for somebody with a background as yours.
I wouldn't be so forth coming if I actually knew you guys outside of the forum. Its easy to be open in a environment where you have anonomity
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm 18, don't pay for food, tuition, or rent. But I have to buy my own games and movies which is total BULLSH%T!
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

But I have to buy my own games and movies which is total BULLSH%T!
Oh how it must be tough for poor ol' jeeba :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I find his forthrightness refreshing considering the BS excuses I've heard from so many other people about any convenient situation they're in.
I know exactly what you mean. I found it be that way too. I used to know a rich girl, actually I knew her in the biblical sense but anyways she "hated her parents" who did just about everything for her, except be there. Anyways one day I says, "jesus, you're rich, you've got an elevator in your goddamn house, a new honda accord, free trips to foriegn countries and all that, I can see not liking your parents but stop trashing a lifestyle that most people would beg to be born into." And she gets all defensive "I am not rich, both my parents work and work hard for what we have and we don't even live in Ladue we live in Clayton that's in the city, blah blah I deserve all this because they're never here and I don't even want a maid." I've just noticed that really rich people try to act like they're not rich and semiwell off people a lot of times act like they're borgiouse in ST.Louis, and it's really bothersome.
Muthafukin Carl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Muthafukin Carl »

Im 19 and I only have to pay the phone/directv bill every month because Im always on the phone and I order a lot of movies. Im not in college yet, but im working part-time at walmart.

Im not in a rush to live on my own and pay my own bills, hell, if I was paying my own bills I wouldnt have 2 cars.....I wouldnt even have 1. I'll move out on my own when I finish college. )()(
Currently playing:

Sega Marine fishing
Seaman
Super Mario All-Stars
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

SuperMegatron wrote:I am dyslexic and I have CFS.
Con-Fu-Sion?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Well, I'm not over 18, but some of you have it pretty nice for people who get their tuition paid for. I currently get no allowance, or anything besides food given to me although my dad gets 100,000 a year...

I don't mind cause IMO kids don't deserve money handed to them, and I wouldn't mind paying rent, but I'd rather use the money to spend on things I need but theyd usually pay for, like instead of paying rent i'd pay for my books. Knowing my parents theyd use the money for alcohol.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

woah! a lotta people live with their parents...i aint alone... :mrgreen:
coke
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by coke »

You're 27 and your mom is supporting your ass? What do chicks say when you bring them back to your place? "Chick: [insert your name here] want to get a beer?" "You: Hold on let me ask my mom for some money." or this one: "Chick: [insert your name here] mind if I stay the night?" "You: My mom doesn't allow sleepovers on school nights." lol "Chick: [insert your name here] What did you get me for my brithday?" "You: Nothing, my mom only gave me 100$ this week, sorry" Thats's sad.