Dreamspec and DC_64 illegal why its ok to break the law!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IMRtech »

az_bont wrote:
IMRtech wrote:Can i have the source code to the katana illegally made DC_64 then ?
Firstly, as it wasn't released under the GPL, he doesn't have to release the source. Secondly, where is your proof that DC_64 was made with an illegal SDK?

Pretty easy use a hex editor but i asure you its illegal. I just dont see the point in hosting it .I would not host it my self as i would break hosting agreements .But lets just make dcemu legal for its 3 year birthday. It would be nice and im sure a lot of legal developers might then think about taking up projects .Since all developement is over BIGboy is no longer going to work on them . What is the point in keeping them.

Lets get along. Trying to hide the fact there illegal is silly . Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that. ???

IMR
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

IMRtech wrote:Lets get along. Trying to hide the fact there illegal is silly . Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that. ???
Aren't the majority of Reaper's releases, which are in violation of the GPL, illegal?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

I thought you said illegal is illegal, or something to that effect. So not releasing the source of gpl modifed code is just as illegal as hosting katana developed files. Both are illegal, and both are equal.

And ya, someone said soemthing about illegal not being the proper term, but I can't be bothered to be politically correct, you all get the idea.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Hey, I appreciate everything reaper does for the DC community. But the same goes for ZacMc as well, who works harder than anyone I know of to keep the DCEmu site alive. And I'm the one who asked him for the single game MAME sbi files. It's great to be able to put multiple games onto a single CD.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

IF you think there are inform the gpl board and dont complain about it lets agree to what i said and stop bring up the fact . Winxp is a good o/s does not mean you should host it "illegal is illegal" your so right Synlor give the man a hand. And the last post was full of sarcastic wit it's not my fault you have taken it as fact.

You also host so called GPL volations as sbi pack mame is not gpl and there's no proof it's mame is there ? if so were is it any warning screens saying its mame were does any of reapers single game arcade packs say there mame ???

lets agree to disagree please

DC_64 and dreamspec are illegal reapers release are kos based and use freeware tools . no roms or warez are ever hosted full stop.You even still host the boot disk which is totaly illegal .You use to host segagen as well.

lets stop the fight now before it get's any more serious. :?
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

lets agree to disagree please
I think that's the general consensus :wink:
You use to host segagen as well.
And now we don't. Why even bring up a straw man argument?
Last edited by impetus on Fri May 02, 2003 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

Yes the subsilver theme ported to ezboard looks very nice thanks toastman.
http://pub47.ezboard.com/bimrtechnology check it out looks pretty neat fools some people thinking its a php ezboard . Reaper is good at porting mostly any thing. :D

IMR
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

IMR please don't get me wrong, Reaper is one of my three favorite DC gurus. But the other two are burnero and zacmc. :wink:
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

DC_64 and dreamspec are illegal reapers release are kos based and use freeware tools . no roms or warez are ever hosted full stop.You even still host the boot disk which is totaly illegal .You use to host segagen as well

So your saying that just because he used legal tools the gpl doesn't matter anymore? YES IT DOES. dcemu may be a bit flaky, but that doesn't give you an excuse to not release the source. What you are doing is just as illegal as what dcemu is doing.

Your asking us to drop the whole gpl thing? And then let you keep going on about what we are doing wrong here. ya... genius, lets all agree to that
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

GPL again holy cow katana VS gpl

Post by IMRtech »

Drop the whole gpl thing with bero to .Seem you have a selective memory Reaper has released the source to all homebrew gpl linux open source ports. I will not list all the ports just vist his site and download source code to your hart is filled with open source goodness. Reaper also helped warmtoe on ideas on mame small or little he helps a lot of people via email and via msn messenger. Were is your proof of any GPL violation. If you have any forward it to the gpl board.And stop talking about it and do some thing about it if you care so much.

You on the other hand have illegal katana developed emulators and proved to be so. Were is your proof that the single game arcade is even mame ???
mame is not GPL toastman keeps saying that no one seems to listen to him?? so if your saying mame is a GPL violation you 100% wrong plus the fact all source to any linux ports that are gpl like the great lupengo among others have the source released. There are no GPL violation on Reaper's site what so ever . You must get you facts right if there is then go inform the GPL board of the violation.
forget it while your behind Synlor:roll:

IMR
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

http://www.imrtech.mirrorz.com/

Whats that under disclaimer?

"Source Code will not be available for any work released BY I.M.R. Technology. All projects are, and will remain, closed source. Please do not ask.
?
- I.M.R."

So uh... mind showing me a link with the source to his mame ports? I'll drop it once I see the source on my monitor bud
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

... Bero made a decision to release what he had done as an 'evaluation version', to show everybody that he did, in fact, make a VCD player at one time. He said weeks before he ever posted a link to a disc image that he lost the source but had made one, and only released it after many pages of people begging him for the release. He also said that the source was lost several years ago, that this was not the most recent one that he did, and he also in good faith pointed to the original software upon which his player was based, doing everything he could to satisfy the people who wanted a release, and he respected the original authors enough to credit them.

I'm not making any accusations about Reaper here in any way, but I don't think it's fair to point at bero and say "he used GPL code, and didn't release it!". One person's actions shouldn't be used as an excuse if you're saying "they did wrong too!" And, would Reaper be porting every SDL game/emulator under the sun to the DC if it weren't for Bero porting SDL to DC in the first place? Others (like BlueCrab have worked on SDL since it's been ported, and I'm not here to belittle Reaper's work, but Bero deserves more respect than you've shown him in this thread.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Uhhh this is getting pretty pointless. If any of those boys over yonder at the isda cared about someone using illegal code I think they would have said something by now.
Oh yeah zophar's domain (obviously) is still around even after that incident.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

SchmuckofNI wrote:Uhhh this is getting pretty pointless. If any of those boys over yonder at the isda cared about someone using illegal code I think they would have said something by now.
GPL source code isn't really an ISDA matter. And we're not arguing because of the legalities, but rather out of respect for hard-working developers.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

illegal is wrong legal is right
Life isn't as simple as that.. If I drive downtown I will probably end up breaking a few laws on the way (speed limit, going through a yellow light etc..). and when I drink alcohol I am breaking the law (I'm only 20), also when I play Final Fantasy on nesterdc I'm breaking the law.. but these things don't make me a bad person just a law breaker.
we dont do illegal things because there bad
We don't do illegal things because we are afraid of the punishment.. We don't to bad things because we have morals (and don't want bad karma).
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

IMRtech wrote:Yes the subsilver theme ported to ezboard looks very nice thanks toastman.
http://pub47.ezboard.com/bimrtechnology check it out looks pretty neat fools some people thinking its a php ezboard . Reaper is good at porting mostly any thing. :D
IMR
You've missed the point entirely.
You can't "port" the SubSilver theme to ezBoard. First of all, ezBoard has no scripting features what so ever. No perl, phpBB, ASP, or anything remotely like it. What reaper did was change a few colors and put up an image.
No signature.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Were is your proof that the single game arcade is even mame ???
Why would you even suggest that they don't use mame source? The binaries are the proof.
mame is not GPL toastman keeps saying that no one seems to listen to him?? so if your saying mame is a GPL violation you 100% wrong
I'm not sure if MAME is gpl or not but..
http://www.mame.net/readme.html wrote:If you use portions of the MAME source code in your program, however, you must make the full source code freely available as well..

Derivative works are allowed, provided their source code is freely available.
So the source must be freely avalable. As far as I know reaper has offered the source to his single game arcade ports in the readme files (some of them at least) and is not violating anything by releasing them.

The only reason I brought up gpl was to state that you shouldn't have a problem with me editing his release when it is an open_source_project. For some reason you got upset at me for saying "gpl" and attacked this site for doing something that all the other DC sites do and have done for the past 3 years.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Mask of Destiny wrote:I would hardly call selling the Flash Advance illegal, this looks more to me like Nintendo trying to flex it's legal muscle. The Flash Advance has legitimate uses other than piracy like homebrew development. Saying it's illegal because most people use it for piracy would be like saying that CD burners or MP3 compression are illegal.
Using any device or mechanism to bypass any sort of copy protection is illegal, in the U.S. anyway. This includes the flash linker and mod chips.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Reaper is modifying and or writing software that has the sole purpose of allowing end users to play unauthorized, illegal copies of copyrighted material. While the emu itself may not be illegal, Promoting its use for the sole purpose of playing illegally copied games (Roms), would be view as contributory copyright infringement. You both know full well that the software was made for and is being used for the sole purpose of running illegally copied software.

Keep up the great work, IMR guys. I like reaper's single game releases, and I think he should continue them.

Here's my motto: It's only illegal if they file suit against you :)
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

Toastman you missed the point. Notice the LoL at the top of the subsilver port.
It also looks very neat best looking ezboard ever by far and nobody can deny
etc. Sing it every one!

http://pub47.ezboard.com/bimrtechnology really it looks neat

IMR :D