DC Generator

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ATani »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I thought you made a release earlier than you would have liked because the private beta (well, alpha I guess) you had been working on got leaked to hell?
That is one of the reasons... But I had actually wanted to get it out around that same time with what was working as well... But yes there was some problems with leaked alpha/beta versions...
cynicalmatt
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by cynicalmatt »

I'm actually wondering if I should release anything until it works fairly well. Having seen the kind of crap directed at DreamSnes, and especially DCGenerator...
I would say don't. All that'll happen is you'll get a bunch of warez monkeys coming onto the boards posting the same questions over and over.

"Does this run at full speed?"
"Is this worth burning?"
"How do I burn it?"
"[Game X] doesn't work, what am I doing wrong?"
The list goes on an on.

I've been a silent observer on this board for a long, long time. I've watched all the drama unfold, I read all the rumors about new DreamSNES releases and I'd say the best way to handle it is to just not release anything until you're happy with it. You can only read "It's too slow! I want more speed!" or "Game X doesn't work - this emu sucks" so many times before you get burned out. If you don't release anything all you'll have to put up with is "When is it coming out?", and there's nothing too bad about that. The decent people here will wait patiently and offer their support.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Release when you're happy with it -- you have to set the standard for what's worthwhile and what's not.

If you wouldn't be happy when (not if) a huge number of people complain about everything, consider not releasing at all.

Don't burn out just because a vocal minority are intent on ruining it for the remainder.

Rand.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

bravo, Rand!! well said! :D

ATani, just want to let you know that there a many of us who respect you and your work and will be happy no matter your timetable. :P
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

DCGen was not promised to do anything at all. It is a miracle that the damn thing worked at all... I ported that damn thing in about a week of about 1 hr a day or so of coding time... I even sat on the release of it for a week deciding if I even wanted to release what I had working... Given, it could have gone through some more polish before release (ie: make the speed better, like it was in 0.35b or whatever the last one I released).. But given that the entire thing was thrown together in a semi-hurry I think it was an overall success. It proved the point that someone with enough knowledge and coding ability could port a PC genesis emu over to the DC and make it work...
that's cool man, i respect what you and all the other coders have done on every emu thats been released. It's just that most of the coders don't take constructive criticism well. If someone says "Great job man, you're on your way. can you make it run faster?", then they should attempt to do it and shut us all up and prove how great a coder you are. Instead, i see many coders making threats to stop releasing updates and act like we owe them everything, just because that particular person doesn't enjoy that particular emu.

You guys can't just release a barely playable emu and expect to get the same kudos that NesterDC would get, especially if there are better emus out there (illegal or not). We live in a world that demands perfection, and i don't know about you, but i won't settle for what is second best.

Please don't take my post the wrong way, i'm not flaming anyone and i'm not putting anyone down. I really respect what you coders do and i support you guys all the way. It's just that recently i've been seeing a "Coder vs. The Public" flame war going on, and its not right. We gotta stick together for the greater good! FOR THE DREAMCAST!
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

JoeyStyles66 wrote:that's cool man, i respect what you and all the other coders have done on every emu thats been released. It's just that most of the coders don't take constructive criticism well. If someone says "Great job man, you're on your way. can you make it run faster?", then they should attempt to do it and shut us all up and prove how great a coder you are. Instead, i see many coders making threats to stop releasing updates and act like we owe them everything, just because that particular person doesn't enjoy that particular emu.
Just a small FYI... nothing is perfect the first time it comes out :)

The main reason why DCgen was stopped in the first place was not just because of a load of lame ass warez kiddies but was due to legal action threatened by someone on another DC site.. (also why I do not deal with emulators now).
JoeyStyles66 wrote:You guys can't just release a barely playable emu and expect to get the same kudos that NesterDC would get, especially if there are better emus out there (illegal or not). We live in a world that demands perfection, and i don't know about you, but i won't settle for what is second best.
Actually, when the release of software is nothing more than a proof of concept it is totally acceptable that it is actually barely usable or has "undocumented features" :) However, it appears that most warez kiddies (and some decent emu folk) do not want to bother with something if it is not perfect and doesnt let them play GBA games on the DC, or other garbage...
JoeyStyles66 wrote:Please don't take my post the wrong way, i'm not flaming anyone and i'm not putting anyone down. I really respect what you coders do and i support you guys all the way. It's just that recently i've been seeing a "Coder vs. The Public" flame war going on, and its not right. We gotta stick together for the greater good! FOR THE DREAMCAST!
No flames here... This is a clean thread :) just try to avoid IRC as there are a lot of jerks towards emu coders in there when you do not bend over backwards to their every call...

As an FYI to all emu lovers... software authors are the ones who decide it all for the software. If the authors feel like taking time out from the project do not flame them, support them... it will only help your cause... Do not flame them when something does not work, offer to help!

If you want to keep a semi-healthy existance of the DC emu "scene" then it is time to support all authors, regardless of status... I am not asking for you to do anything out of the ordinary but be nice to others really...

Before you flame an emu author (or worse) just think how would you feel if the flame (or worse) was targetting you?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Rand Linden wrote:Release when you're happy with it -- you have to set the standard for what's worthwhile and what's not.

If you wouldn't be happy when (not if) a huge number of people complain about everything, consider not releasing at all.

Don't burn out just because a vocal minority are intent on ruining it for the remainder.

Rand.
That was pretty much the plan. I'd only consider a release if I were happy with it, or possibly if I needed something tested.
mr. darkness
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by mr. darkness »

JoeyStyles66 wrote: ..."Great job man, you're on your way. can you make it run faster?"...
In what way is that constructive?!
If someone tells the coder how to make it faster, then it's constructive.

theese comments are only annoying.

Just settle with the "Great job" part instead :)
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

[quote="BlackAuraThat was pretty much the plan. I'd only consider a release if I were happy with it, or possibly if I needed something tested.[/quote]

<tongue-in-cheek> Yeah... whenever I want to release something in the future, I'll be sure to give it to testers... NOT.
smelialichu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by smelialichu »

Rand: Someone may have leaked a beta, but you seem to have some pretty amazing protection on your final Bleemcast's. Nice work there whatever it is :) I hope feet of fury can use something similar.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

people shouldnt be bashing DCGen. It plays roms and thats what it is sopost to do, sure it crashes, but isint it Pre Beta. I think its great, sure its slow, but when I wanna play genesis games I just pull out the old genesis. Or play vectorman/sonic/ streets of rage on my official sega smash pack.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Thats so sad to hear that another emu coder has left the scene due to lack of respect. It seems to be common now days considering everyone wants to whine about something they get for free. I am just happy that there are people still trying to create emus for the dreamcast and actually work. DCgenerator gets the same respect in my eyes as does dreamsnes. Both are revolutionary and prove that the DC can emulate 16 bit consoles. Thats a hell of an accomplishment. I truly hope that work continues on DCgenerator (or any other emu out there for the DC) because I can't wait to see what the dreamcast is capable of. May the best of luck be with you.
Dre@mC@ster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Dre@mC@ster »

MetaFox wrote:I don't see you coding a Genesis emulator, so shut the hell up.

I'm sick and tired of you little pricks that think that the whole world owes you everything.

You wonder why DCGen isn't getting many updates anymore - it's because I'm sick of catering to you whiners who just complain when a new release is out.

This version is worst than the last - It's still slow - It has no sound - It's buggy as hell - It freezes. Waawaawaa.

Get it in your mind that emulators are beta software created for fun for free by coders using thier spare time. No one owes you anything. Free software is a priveledge, not a right.

atani created a magnifecent piece of software. If that smash pack rip wasn't around he'd be getting more respect for DCGen.

Smash Pack was made by Sega - with first hand knowledge of the Genesis - using official devkits and official hardware.

Generator was reverse engineered for the PC - then ported to KOS by atani. With no help from Sega, no official devkits, no official hardware.

He ported it for fun, then decided to grace us all with a release. He could have kept it for himself, he didn't owe us anything, but he chose to release it for everyone to enjoy. Show some respect.

I enjoy all hard work that is done in this scene. God Bless the men and women of the DC DEV' scene if I have not said it before. :type:

:pitydafoo: AND TO THOSE WHO APPOSE!!!!
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Everyone, I'm sorry! I now realize that I contributed in slowing down or stopping DcGenerator. I know I acted childish and you guys were right to flame me. I'll try to shut my mouth about stuff I don't know about, like how hard it is to make an emu. Sorry guys and thanks for getting me to my senses.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

glad to hear it. :D

PS, check your PM
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Stupid Question

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

How do I make a selfbooting copy of DC Generator? I got NesterDC, and DreamSNES to work using that Selfboot program (who ever made that...YOU ROCK!)

When I fired up Selfboot and selected the folder i made it said "Can't open file" and closed.

Later on I tried Gen+ and Selfboot worked on that. Supose I got the wrong files? Any help would be great! I am new to Emulation on the Dreamcast (it is sooooo sweet playing the games on the TV again...so many memories. )

oh well thanks for any help in advance
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Re: Stupid Question

Post by OneThirty8 »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:How do I make a selfbooting copy of DC Generator? I got NesterDC, and DreamSNES to work using that Selfboot program (who ever made that...YOU ROCK!)

When I fired up Selfboot and selected the folder i made it said "Can't open file" and closed.

Later on I tried Gen+ and Selfboot worked on that. Supose I got the wrong files? Any help would be great! I am new to Emulation on the Dreamcast (it is sooooo sweet playing the games on the TV again...so many memories. )

oh well thanks for any help in advance
burnerO made Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer.

I think I know what your problem is. Does it say "a required file, IP.BIN, could not be found" or something similar? If IP.bin is not there, then simply copy+paste an ip.bin from NesterDC or Genesis Plus into the folder with DCGenerator.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

thanks, but now I have NEW problems, and I promises these ones are inproved :-)

I used Selfboot and it worked thanks to the advice one thirty 8 (thanks)

In the folder I have the files (some of the files don't have extensions)

Copying
1st_red_.bin
DCgen.bin
License
IP.bin
Readme
readme.txt
(folder) Roms

(Iside the Roms folder I have a SMD file, a BIN file, and one ZIP file (wasn't sure what format it liked since this is a test disk, I have a slow burner)

Now I burned the CD and it booted, but all I am getting is a black screen, and It has been on for 10 mins. Also aren't there supose to be graphic files of some sort on there? Just a Guess. Oh well, If this is the wrong board could someone PM me and direct me to where I should post for help?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Orange_Ribbon wrote: 1st_red_.bin
DCgen.bin
IP.bin
I hope thats a typo in your post, as it should be 1st_read.bin not 1st_red

Also do you know if your dcgen.bin is scrambled or unscrambled? if its scrambled, then delete the 1st_read you have and rename dcgen.bin to 1st_read, if its unscrambled scramble it (use scramble.exe in a command prompt as so:

scramble dcgen.bin 1st_read.bin

) after deleting the 1st_read.

also which ip.bin did you use? *ALMOST* all emulators ip.bins can be used, but if you took it from DreamSNES you will need to name your 1st_read to 1dsnes.sh4 as that it the file the dreamsnes ip.bin points to.
WHurricane16
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by WHurricane16 »

If the 1st_read.bin wasn't scrambled the DC should reset in most cases. Did the Sega disclaimer screen load? If not, replace the ip.bin used. ;)

I recommend going back through steps int the last post first, though.