Who's never downloaded something they shouldn't have?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Who's never downloaded a .mp3 file that they didn't already own on a CD or Tape, or a non-PD rom, or warez.

Total votes: 0
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Enki-14 »

let's see., I download 4 DBZ movies in english subtitle, that hasn't come to the US yet. Got some anime, a couple of mp3's, mostly remixes of current tracks. And A bunch of other stuff. :oops:

Honestly, there is one game for the dc I really want, and if I find it and know how to burn it before I have the money to buy it, I would probably try to warez it. Of course, the only thing I could burn on my dc was DreamSnes..
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

I've got badness on my HD but my xbox is still clean
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

toastman wrote:For those who say: "Yeah, but I would have never have bought it before, so warezing it is ok. It's not like they would ever get a sale from me in the first place." I can't afford a Lexus, doesn't make it legal for me to go out and take one. Doesn't make it any less stealing. You cannot justify your actions. It's like the 10 Commandments. It's "Thou shalt not kill", not "Thou shalt not kill unless..."
That's a pretty weak argument there, and you know it. No one is pulled from their "Lexus" when you download any particular file, that you never intended to buy. No garage is broken into when you burn something onto a CD-R. No person is physically or mentally damaged when you play a copied game. The argument that you are detracting from some kind of "ghost profits" that a developer would have made off of you, is ridiculous, because;

1. You in no way ever intended to purchase the app/game/album.

2. You do not own the original, making your "copy" essentially worthless. There is no resale value on a warez item.

3. A developer loses nothing when you download their product illegally, because they make their money on ORIGINALS only. Your warezed item is worthless.

4. Downloading something that would otherwise cost you money does more to promote a company's software or music, because it is receiving a wider than expected advertising distribution.

5. Jailing a person for sharing on P2P networks would be like saying you should be arrested for finding a legitimate product on the street, because you didnt pay for it.

Now I DO believe you should pay for whatever it is that you use professionally, or whatever you enjoy using, but if you have a "warezed" item, be it a game, music album, whatever, you KNOW you own something that is less than an original. An original is worth paying for. Everyone knows that. No one has ever denied it. The only reason I can think of why some people on this board feel threatened by warez, is because they need to reassure themselves that they didnt just pay 70+ dollars for a game that everyone else got to play for free.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:I'm sorry, but if you can't but in the effort to make more money, you don't DESERVE the game. If you can't afford it and you need it that desperatly, go jump off a cliff you sad pathetic loser (BTW Not directed at anyone inparticular, just the crybabies)
Not everyone is saying they cannot afford the games, Hasney. I'm sure there are better things to do with your money than buying video games, especially if you arent a teenager anymore.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

-Azathoth- wrote: 1. You in no way ever intended to purchase the app/game/album.

2. You do not own the original, making your "copy" essentially worthless. There is no resale value on a warez item.

3. A developer loses nothing when you download their product illegally, because they make their money on ORIGINALS only. Your warezed item is worthless.

4. Downloading something that would otherwise cost you money does more to promote a company's software or music, because it is receiving a wider than expected advertising distribution.

5. Jailing a person for sharing on P2P networks would be like saying you should be arrested for finding a legitimate product on the street, because you didnt pay for it.
That's a pretty weak arguement and you know it.
Back to the "I was never going to buy it, so it doesn't hurt them that I use it for free." No it just makes you a frickin hypocrit (spelling please :P ) If the software is good enough for you to use, you should buy it.
There is no resale on warez? You got to be kidding me. There are entire groups dedicated to selling pirated software. You used the software, you are therefore obligated to pay for it. Whether you intended to buy it or not. And even when you buy a piece of software you are not buying the software, you are buying a license to use the software and that license comes with certain terms.
I can find a car on the street. I can take it. (The emphasis is to denote the actual ability to do so) If a cop catches me taking this legitimate product, I will get my sorry theiving ass thrown in jail. Take a small monument. It's a legitimate product. It's on the street. You will go to jail.
Here is something that I think sums up this arguement quite nicely:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-04-29
No signature.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

So toastman and hasney obviously don't download mp3's... nah, their morals are way too high.
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
Token99 wrote:So toastman and hasney obviously don't download mp3's... nah, their morals are way too high.
Yeah I do... I delete em when they're crap, or buy the album if they are any good.... hell, I can tell the difference to CD quality and a 320KBPs encoded MP3 through my home cinema system anyways :P
But the principle is the same, you are downloading digital media without the copywriters written or spoken permission. It's illegal the exact same way in the eyes of the law, it's exactly the same principle morally, I hope you see that.

And just out of curiosity how many mp3's do you download on a weekly basis, and how many albums do you buy a week? I have a very hard time believing that you download a song, listen to it, like it, delete it, go buy it... every single time.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:I know it's illegal, but no-ones losing money if I'm paying for it... I download about 5-20 MP3s a week, and buy about 10 albums a month at the moment, mostly 2nd hand since a lot of new music is making me cry at the moment :P
Well, that's great that you actually get a free trial before you buy your music! But that's not the case with console games and a lot of software at the moment, so it's still the exact same principle. Sure, you may eventually buy the music, but you're still doing the exact same thing in principle. It really doesn't matter to me, the thing that got me started on this whole rant is that people do the exact same thing in principle, just on different levels, and are too blind to see it. I'm trying to open people's eyes here to the fact that we aren't so different, we do the exact same thing, just with different forms of media and whatnot. I'm not going to sit here and call you a liar, because you very well could be telling the truth. But it is really hard for me to believe that you will go spend hard earned money on something that is already in your possession for free. But you could very well be 100% telling the truth, it's just a hard fact to believe.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

well we pretty much know where everyone stands on the topic, so.....

bye bye
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain