Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by BlueCrab »

A couple of games over the past few weeks:

- Eternal Poison (PS2)
- Xenosaga Episode 1 (PS2)
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I got some Gamecube stuff:

Metroid Prime ($3.99)
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 ($2.99 each)
Sonic Mega Collection ($12.99)

Also, a Platinum Wavebird ($17.99)
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smiley »

New super mario bros wii....love it but hope the game gets more difficult as it progresses.

als got guilty gear plus for the wii....had a heck of a time tracking down a copy
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

New Super Mario Bros Wii
- eveything I expected it to be really. Nothing amazing, but good fun.

Zelda: Spirit Tracks
- I disliked Twilight Princess (still never beaten it), but loved Phantom Hourglass so I was definitely going to be picking this up. The game is great so far, I just wish Nintendo would find a better way to give a sequel value than slapping on random gimmicks. The train system is more annoying than the boat, and microphone-blowing gameplay needs to be banned.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:Zelda: Spirit Tracks
- I disliked Twilight Princess (still never beaten it), but loved Phantom Hourglass so I was definitely going to be picking this up. The game is great so far, I just wish Nintendo would find a better way to give a sequel value than slapping on random gimmicks. The train system is more annoying than the boat, and microphone-blowing gameplay needs to be banned.
How is it? I just finished replaying Link to the Past for the umpteenth time (I think my 5th or 6th time actually finishing it), and I've been tempted to go pick this up. I'm a little wary, though; I couldn't finish Phantom Hourglass, because I got too annoyed with constantly having to backtrack through that central dungeon. I liked the stylus control idea overall, though I wish it would have had a smaller, denser map rather than a more sprawled out one that required all that boat pathing. Plus, Link on a train sounds like all kinds of stupid.

My girlfriend and I were talking about what makes a good Zelda game the other day (Ocarina of Time is her favorite video game), and I think my favorite is Link's Awakening. It really refined all the elements of a 2D Zelda game, it managed to get a lot out of a very limited hardware platform, the gameplay was compelling and I loved the way the "main" tasks interwove with the secondary "trading" mission throughout the game, and while it was shorter and had a smaller map than some of the other titles in the series, the game world design was excellent and the developers really found a way to work everything they could into that limited space. There was a lot of variety... and it always felt like there was something new to do, and new things to be discovered/accessed even in "old" areas.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

While I continually moan about Nintendo's whoring of franchises, I have to admit I am brought back to Zelda games time and time again by the dungeons and overall progression. The problem is, instead of trying to improve/modify this system to produce a different game (which may or may not be a good idea), they just keep tacking different stuff on. To me though these things just feel like mandatory fetch quests and filler.

The train system is made "fun" by having to share tracks with other trains and having to find the right path. In reality though it's just the boat system on rails, complete with cannon/warps etc. There's a crapload of pointless running about between each dungeon, and the Spirit Tower is the new place you have to keep returning to. It's better than that PH place, but it's still there.

The dungeons are awesome though.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Modern Warfare 2: Hardened Edition (Xbox 360) $60.00
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure (PS2) $15.00 (Runs on the THPS4 engine and is actually more fun than any of the later THPS games)
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) - $20 New
Sega Super Star Tennis (PS2) - $5 New
Ape Escape (PS1) - $7 Used (but in great condition)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Castlevania the Adventure: Rebirth (WiiWare)

So far, I like it. It's clearly a budget title, and if I had to choose a complaint, it would be that the difficulty is not on par with the "classic" Caslevania entries from which it draw. That said, this is a nice return-to-form, which borrows to varying degrees from most of the pre-Symphony Castlevania games.

The graphics are (and, in fact, the whole game aesthetic is) very GBA-esque, both in terms of the sprite/BG art style and in the cheap stretch/rotate/parallax effects used. The music is reminiscent of the Genesis, and in fact much of the music is from Bloodlines. The sound effects are all recorded samples.

As for the gameplay itself, it takes bits and pieces from all the old Castlevania games. Simon is more flexible than he was on NES or Gameboy (you can maneuver while you jump, hit boxes are more forgiving, and platforming segments don't require the kind of pixel-precision that made the original Castlevania Adventure so difficult), but less flexible than he was on SNES (you can't swing the whip, you can't just hop onto and off of stairs, etc.)

There are main weapons and sub-weapons as usual, but like the GB game, the final whip upgrade allows it to shoot fireballs (though this is a limited-time effect in this version).

The levels are fairly well designed, and not just straight left-to-right affairs. There is a lot of verticality, and there are branching pathways in the vein of Dracula X (read: depending on what path you take through a level, you may end up in a different level next/going through a different part of the level/unlocking different things/fighting a different boss). There are also a few unlockable elements, though all I have gotten in my brief half-hour of play so far is the ability to switch Simon into "classic" mode.

Overall, I'd definitely say it's worth the money. The art is a little more consistent than it was in Contra Rebirth, and while the game definitely feels like it was designed for the GBA rather than the Wii, it is a lot of fun for CV fans and a worthy entry in the series.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

BoneyCork wrote:While I continually moan about Nintendo's whoring of franchises, I have to admit I am brought back to Zelda games time and time again by the dungeons and overall progression. The problem is, instead of trying to improve/modify this system to produce a different game (which may or may not be a good idea), they just keep tacking different stuff on. To me though these things just feel like mandatory fetch quests and filler.

The train system is made "fun" by having to share tracks with other trains and having to find the right path. In reality though it's just the boat system on rails, complete with cannon/warps etc. There's a crapload of pointless running about between each dungeon, and the Spirit Tower is the new place you have to keep returning to. It's better than that PH place, but it's still there.

The dungeons are awesome though.
I agree that ninty whores their franchises..but not nearly as much as sega did/does with the sonic franchise. It is actually funny that mario has been able to do well in 2d, 3d and evern rpg genres, while sonic failed to do the same.

anyway, bought resident evil 5 for the pc...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Bought this today:
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again (Wii)

Got this for Christmas:
The Beatles Rock Band (360)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Muramasa: Demon Blade.

My family always complains that I just go out and buy what I want, so they don't know what to get me for Christmas. So I held off on video game and movie purchases last fall... and got absolutely none of the games and movies I was holding back from buying. Oh well.

Here's the first one off the list.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Muramasa: Demon Blade.

My family always complains that I just go out and buy what I want, so they don't know what to get me for Christmas. So I held off on video game and movie purchases last fall... and got absolutely none of the games and movies I was holding back from buying. Oh well.

Loooove that game...It does get kinda repetitive after awhile.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'd imagine so, but thus far I'm really enjoying it. It's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for: similar to Odin Sphere, but much more accessible and easier to get into. The fighting system is fun and has just enough depth thanks to the combo system and variety of weapons, and the art is absolutely gorgeous.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Smiley wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Muramasa: Demon Blade.

Loooove that game...It does get kinda repetitive after awhile.
Indeed. I could only play a couple hours of it before I got bored enough with it to never play it again. It would have been nicer if they made actual levels instead of doing Metroid. The backtracking was very, very annoying.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Preordered:

Army of Two : The 40th Day
Mass Effect 2
BioShock 2

Got $10 video game Amazon credit for each one of those, and ended up cashing out a $50 Wells Fargo Reward certificate too.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

God of War 3 demo. I picked up a copy of District 9 when I got Muramasa the other day, and apparently the disc has a GoW3 playable demo on it. I didn't even realize this until I went to put the movie in the drive.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Final Fantasy XI: The Ultimate Collection (Xbox 360)
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Lost Odyssey
Halo 3: ODST
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Luriden wrote:Final Fantasy XI: The Ultimate Collection (Xbox 360)
That's an odd purchase.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:
Luriden wrote:Final Fantasy XI: The Ultimate Collection (Xbox 360)
That's an odd purchase.
Been wanting to play the game since it came out but I deeply resent PC games and the 360 version + all the expansions = too expensive for a "try out". The Ultimate Collection was only $20 with a free month so I decided to give it a shot. I'm dreading the 4-5 hours of downloading and installing I have to put my 360 through though before I can actually play it.