Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by Lartrak »

I bought New Super Mario Bros Wii. Played it two player for about three hours. It's quite fun. For those wondering, it is quite a bit harder than the DS original, which is a GOOD thing. The two new suits are great. Visually it is great too. And the music is much better than the DS game as well.

From the way things are going, I'd say a run through of every level in every world would probably take 8-10 hours. If you got every golden coin in every level, you can probably add at least 5 hours to that. Pretty good length for the type of game, honestly. Multiplayer is quite fun, also.

Biggest complaint: waggle for picking up blocks and to do the spin attack. Fortunately, it is not extremely important, and the sensitivity for it is excellent. I'd still have preferred a simple button though.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I played up to the first castle and got very bored with it. There's really nothing about it that interests me, it's the same game I've been playing all my life with a fresh coat of paint. I guess that's what the hype is all about. Also, using motion for things such as moving platforms or whatever is fine, but I'm tired of games forcing me to "shake" the controller just to perform a standard action such as spinning or picking something up.

I never played the DS one so I'm sure it's the same problem there minus the unnecessary shaking.

Super Mario Galaxy was great, I wish they'd do something a little more creative like that... except for making a direct SMG sequel. Come to think of it, I don't think I support any of Nintendo's actions lately.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Luriden wrote:I played up to the first castle and got very bored with it. There's really nothing about it that interests me, it's the same game I've been playing all my life with a fresh coat of paint. I guess that's what the hype is all about.
Actually, from what I understand, the hype is all about the simultaneous multiplayer. That's what's really supposed to make the game worthwhile. Otherwise, it's "just another Mario game."

I'm holding out on console purchases right now, because I don't know what I'm going to be getting for Christmas. But the items I will definitely pick up in January (if I don't end up receiving them as gifts) are NSMB, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, Ratchet & Clank, Muramasa, and... hm. I feel like I'm forgetting something.

I'm actually toying with the idea of selling my DS. The only reason I haven't yet is because my girlfriend occasionally uses it for RPGs. I never take it anywhere any more (I've always got my iPod Touch with me, and that's perfectly adequate for playing on the go), and the majority of the games I have for it are available either for consoles or for the iPod in one form or another. And anything that's not, I've played inside and out, gottne pretty much everything, and haven't touched in ages (EBA, Rhythm Heaven, etc). The only things I would really miss are my Castlevania games, Lunar Knights, and one or two of my GBA titles.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

sell ur DS to luriden cheap, he needs one for Phantasy Star Zero lol
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I personally love NSMB. A side-scrolling Mario game is a really great concept. Shaking the controller to make Mario spin is a fantastic application of the Wii's unique hardware and makes the idea of pressing buttons laughable. I can't wait to see what other great ideas an innovative company like Nintendo has in store for us next year. I know there is a remake of Pokemon Gold and Silver due out in Spring - it's just one original gaming experience after another with these guys. Well done Nintendo! Show thoese sequel whoring companies like Activision and EA what a real developer is all about.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hasney wrote:And selling your DS because you have an iPod Touch? I had a more fun gaming experience on my N-Gage rather than my iPhone.
It's really more a matter of selling my DS because I never use it. There's nothing coming out that I feel particularly compelled to play, and the games I do have are things I'm either done with or can get in more feature-rich versions for other platforms that I own.

And actually, you may be surprised at some of the things that are out for the iPhone platform. My iPod currently sports the following:

Beneath a Steel Sky - the original SCUMM adventure game
Blimp - simple silly game
Bust a Move - the Taito puzzler
cs.one - sh'mup
Dropship - sort of a more advanced Defender
ExZeus - a Space Harrier-like 3D sh'mup that was originally a Naomi arcade game
Final Fantasy: Crystal Defenders - tactical RPG
GangStar - GTA3 clone
Hero of Sparta - God of War clone
iBlast Moki - platform-puzzler
iDracula - simple, dual stick survival shooter
i Love Katamari - stripped down version of Katamari Damacy
Krazy Kart Racers - MarioKart clone with online play, by Konami
Let's Golf - pretty decent golf game
Meteor Blitz - comparable to Stardust on the Playstation
Monkey Ball - unfortunately it's only the single-player mode, but still fun
Morocco - free version Othello/Reversi
Mr. Driller - exactly what it says
Myst - pretty much a direct port of the PC/Mac original, but with better video quality
Peggle - I'm pretty sure you're familiar with this
The Plateau - puzzle game
PewPew - free game sort of like Geometry Wars
Radial 50 - like a cross between Arkanoid and Tempest
Ravensword: The Fallen King - sort of a smaller, less expansive version of a game like Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights
Rolando - similar to LocoRoco on PSP
Scrabble - with online play, and connects to Scrabble on Facebook
Secret of Monkey Island - the original, with remastered music, spoken dialogue, and upgraded art
SimCity - again, exactly what you think
Space Invaders: Infinity Gene - interesting, experimental take on the game. Comparable to (though very different from) Space Invaders Extreme for DS
Soosiz - fun platformer. Sort of a simpler, 2D Mario Galaxy
Spider: the Secret of Brice Manor - fairly simple gameplay, but there's an intriguing story lurking in the background
Star Defense - very good tower defense game set on 3D spheres
Sway - two-arm swinging platformer, sort of a more difficult relative of Donkey Kong: King of Swing for DS
Topple 2+ - physics-based puzzle game
Trism - puzzle game
WildWest Pinball - well-made pinball game with good ball physics
Worms - fairly straightforward implementation of the game
Zen Bound - 3D puzzle game
Zenonia - retro-styled action RPG, akin to Zelda but with more RPG elements such as XP

Now granted, they're not all shining gems of innovation, but most of them are pretty good, and a couple of them would stand out regardless of platform. The relatively large screen (which the DS sorely lacks), Internet access (which the DS underutilizes), and touch controls work very well for strategy and puzzle games. The whole system is very compact, plus I always have it with me anyway, for music and Internet on the go (plus I use my iPod as a PDA for work), and I don't have to carry around an extra device or (more importantly) separate cartridges for all my games. In addition, I don't think I spent more than about $30 for the entire game library combined.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

only thing that makes me SLIGHTLY justify spending that 120 bucks on a DS lite is my flash card. GBA nearly quite perfect, though could have used an X and Y button. Too bad they killed it off to make a lot of gimmick games where i can TOUCH things and blow into a mic. cause thats exactly what I want to do. awkward controls. Blowing into my console.......I thought were were past that with the NES.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

My PSP still satisfies all my portable gaming needs. The handful of decent PSP games, PS1 emulation, and GBA emulation on a big screen make it one of my most played consoles.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

On that note:

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)

A great sidescrolling platformer. Everything you'd expect from the PS3 version crammed down into handheld form, with a whole new series of story levels to play through.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:On that note:

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)

A great sidescrolling platformer. Everything you'd expect from the PS3 version crammed down into handheld form, with a whole new series of story levels to play through.
Loved the PS3 version, but a really big part of the game is the level editor and the resulting community. Does the editor still work with only one analog stick?
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

DJ Hero
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Got CoD WaW (my first COD game) for 8 bucks at blockbuster.

I dont see what all the fuss is about with COD games. They are the most linear games I have ever played, levels are short, u take 2 shots and you are dead before you know who shot you, the AI is quite predictable (if you are standing then they are shooting at you, if you are crouched they are chunking grenades at you), not to mention the lack of a fucking health bar! "Oh I got hit once, let me hide behind a rock for 5 seconds and the game has basically started over again!" Multiplayer was pretty meh, played a team deathmatch, nothing that i haven't done before. Though the game was more of a "who saw who" first to decide who gets the kill. Although the Nazi-zombies made the game worth it. It takes time for the gameplay to pick up which is lame, but when it does it's a lot of fun.

I didn't get to finish the game though, cause I flipped it at gamestop with their extra like 40% credit deal that ends today, so got about 25 bucks for it among some other titles. If I find WaW cheap again somewhere i'll pick it up, but only for the nazi zombies as the campaign sucks hard.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:On that note:

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)

Loved the PS3 version, but a really big part of the game is the level editor and the resulting community. Does the editor still work with only one analog stick?
The PSP version only has 2 levels of depth rather than 3, which makes things quite easier to begin with, and L+analog stick is the right analog stick substitute. Still, I've heard of things not working quite the way they should in the PSP editor, plus there's the question of just how many people are going to make great levels for the PSP version when you can make the same thing greater on the PS3.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Nico0020 wrote:Got CoD WaW (my first COD game) for 8 bucks at blockbuster.

I dont see what all the fuss is about with COD games. They are the most linear games I have ever played, levels are short, u take 2 shots and you are dead before you know who shot you, the AI is quite predictable (if you are standing then they are shooting at you, if you are crouched they are chunking grenades at you), not to mention the lack of a fucking health bar! "Oh I got hit once, let me hide behind a rock for 5 seconds and the game has basically started over again!" Multiplayer was pretty meh, played a team deathmatch, nothing that i haven't done before. Though the game was more of a "who saw who" first to decide who gets the kill. Although the Nazi-zombies made the game worth it. It takes time for the gameplay to pick up which is lame, but when it does it's a lot of fun.

I didn't get to finish the game though, cause I flipped it at gamestop with their extra like 40% credit deal that ends today, so got about 25 bucks for it among some other titles. If I find WaW cheap again somewhere i'll pick it up, but only for the nazi zombies as the campaign sucks hard.
I was going to write up a big response to your post here, but it wasn't really worth it. My response now is:

Way to generalize the whole series on one of the non-InfinityWard games. Awesome job! :roll:
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Code-Red wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:Got CoD WaW (my first COD game) for 8 bucks at blockbuster.

I was going to write up a big response to your post here, but it wasn't really worth it. My response now is:

Way to generalize the whole series on one of the non-InfinityWard games. Awesome job! :roll:
Honestly, World At War really isn't too different from IW games. Actually, it's exactly the same, just WW2 themed. I love the game though, CoD3 sucked ass but Treyarch stepped it up with WaW and I actually prefer the online portion over CoD4.

Also, most of what Nico is bitching about is present in most FPS games nowdays. That may say something about today's FPS games, but CoD4/WaW stands out as one of the few FPS games I actually give a very big shit about.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Dragon Age: Origins

Really liking this game right now. This is what I wanted from Oblivion - something with a bit of structure to it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Super Mario Kart (Virtual Console on Wii). So many memories from middle school!
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Left 4 Dead 2

I know a lot of people hate/got tired of the first, but some of my favorite multiplayer moments were spent playing on LAN with two televisions and 4 human controlled people.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Jumped on a bunch of Black Friday deals.

Dragon Age Origins (PS3) - $35
Assassin's Creed (PC) - $5
Assassin's Creed 2 (360) - $48
Far Cry 2 (PC) - $5
Castle of Magic (iPhone) - $1
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I took advantage of some sales on the iTunes Store:

Blades of Fury (Soul Calibur clone)
Castle of Magic (platformer)
DOOM Resurrection
Fayju Ball (3D ball-maze game)
Hook Champ (think Bionic Commando meets Indiana Jones)
Monopoly
Warfare Incorporated (Starcraft clone)