The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

"(btw the Vigil on the middle left is in a quite dangerous place)"

only you'd think of that Fragger :P
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Tyne I have a good suggestion to fix vigils model up a bit, it looks pretty good but his body is disportionate, mostly his upper legs compared to his lower. His upper legs need more muscle roundness to them and thickness. You have to make his model more muscular. Here is an example of what I mean. Top model is your current model and the bottom is a photochopped to show what his lower legs should look more like imo. Even a little more muscle could be added, but it looks pretty good like i have it. The same could probably be done for his biceps and triceps. Vigil aint no wimpy teenager.

law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

The first pick is Me before starting playing "The Ascension Of Vigil" and the second pick is me after playing "The Ascension Of Vigil" for the last year. See swinging that sword all the time gives you muscle:)

Everyone should try the "The Ascension Of Vigil" workout, and you will see results.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Agressive marketing, oh well...

BTW, i understand your ideas for improve the model. Vigil pushes quake engine a bit in poly count, but it won't increase it any more, just broaden some things.
I wish had any modeling experience to help in this department, Tyne would havve many work changing all frames and retouching some animations.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Isn't the animation and model structure 2 different things. I whould assume you could change the model but use the same animation routines.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's the deal, Vigil is about a 400 polygon model - low yes, standard for quake. He's over 215+ frames of animation which is A LOT (All done by me, thanks), and it keeps increasing. If I were to fix his model up to become more muscular (I'm not exactly sure how easy that is) I'd have to retouch every single frame there is (tedious), yes he's skinny; but you could say that helps him since he's lightning fast. ;)

Anyways, I'll atleast try and give it a shot.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Confirmed, can be done.

Quake uses frame based animation, everyone of Vigil's animations have been created by hand .. mostly rotating joints, aligning and so on and drawing sketches on paper (mostly stick figures :P) .

I have to go over 8 different pieces of Vigil's model to buff up, there's 215+ frames of animation; that is a lot of repetitive tedious boring work. I'm doing it though, this'll slowdown the next release a tad.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Thanks i'm glad you took my suggestion, it will be hard work i think you can see that it will look much better when you are finished. Great work. Btw you can be quick and muscular at the same time, warriors of the past where as are modern day athletes.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

perhaps Vigil should have his sleeves rolled up showing some skin and muscle also; also some scars, not because he's emo but from past battles!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I'd say if you can make it look convincing go for whatever you can imagine.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Hey Tyne, yesterday I was all happy 'n stuff doing a few combos, but all of a sudden the combo counter stopped while I was still hitting the bad guys!

First I was playing in the castle, and did a 176-hit combo. However, since I sucked enough to lose all lives, I played it again. This time I made a larger combo, but after reaching 191 hits the counter stopped and displayed the "God-like!" message, despite the fact that some more hits were made right after the counter stopped.

Luckly, I recorded these matches, so you can see by yourself:
176 hits demo
191(?) hits demo

You may need an older version of TAoV to watch these, since the one I have here is from Feb/10, I think. Btw, they were recorded in ToChriS (TAoV.exe).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Is their controller support, or is this keyboard-only?
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

DC keys are binded too.
You can see the console in pc alerting "DC_UP is not a valid key..."
Don't remenber what, but these binds are in controls.cfg or autoexec.cfg and can be changed there.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

How is it going tyne any new bits you can tell us about your progress.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Still working towards the latest version, just adding some mapping features to keep RPG happy and changing a few things; this version is slow to release but it'll be worth it in the end.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Fragger wrote:Hey Tyne, yesterday I was all happy 'n stuff doing a few combos, but all of a sudden the combo counter stopped while I was still hitting the bad guys!

First I was playing in the castle, and did a 176-hit combo. However, since I sucked enough to lose all lives, I played it again. This time I made a larger combo, but after reaching 191 hits the counter stopped and displayed the "God-like!" message, despite the fact that some more hits were made right after the counter stopped.

Luckly, I recorded these matches, so you can see by yourself:
176 hits demo
191(?) hits demo

You may need an older version of TAoV to watch these, since the one I have here is from Feb/10, I think. Btw, they were recorded in ToChriS (TAoV.exe).
??
A cheater among us? Sorta...
That combo is disapointing. I was impressed and all...

Ok, no spoils. Everyone download and see for yourself.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Perhaps a new version this weekend, my excuse is: Got a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Meg and Half Life 2 :P
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hey tyne I just got an xbox and a modchip for it.. cool huh.. can't wait to see the new version of tyne. I'll test it right away and see if i can help you continue to polish the masterpiece.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DCmad wrote:That combo is disapointing. I was impressed and all...
A 191+ hit combo with only 1 move, disappointing?

By the way, it's more fun to watch if you enter "host_framerate 0.005" at the console before the fire beam begins. Tyne's level-up slow motion code doesn't work on demos, that's why it doesn't seem very impressive when you play the demo.

Btw Tyne, there are some packet overflows during some spells in the latest version.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

A 191 hit combo is not possible anymore with 1 spell in the latest (unreleased) version, a good fix :P
The most firebeam will EVER do is 35 hits on 1 enemy, but those 35 hits equal a lot of freaking damage.

Hmm, packet overflows eh? Which spells? I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Try doing some crazy 94 hit melee combos like so:
:D!