Genesis Plus preview

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ethoscapade »

weird bug i'm having... when i try to use the A+B+X+Y+Start to quit the emu, my TV goes black as though it's not receiving a signal anymore, but the DC stays on.

i'm using SBI, if it helps.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't think the exit function work if it's been booted off a CD, only if it's been booted from a serial cable or a network.
Scribe99
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Scribe99 »

Every game that I tested played fine, no problems there.

Maybe I happened to not burn the latest version, but I wouldn't say that it is running at full speed yet. All of the games I played without sound and they were just a bit slow. But very smooth.

Not trying to complain in any way. Just my impressions after testing things out. I was really happy to find the great compatitbilty as all the games I tested worked.
Scribe99
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Scribe99 »

Last edited by Scribe99 on Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Dont think you have the new one it is fullspeed with out sound if it has stef d's c68k core it be fullspeed.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Scribe99
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Scribe99 »

I clicked on one of the links at the beginning of this thread to get the 1st_read.bin. .... And now looking back at the thread, I didn't get the latest version.

I'm just about to burn the latest 3.0 release now. Sorry for any confusion.
Captain Spaulding
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Captain Spaulding »

I dont know if this bug has been reported yet ,please forgive me if it has. I burned Genesis Plus with quite a few roms and after a few pages of scrolling through roms it makes the screen go black and reboots DC.
I know what your problem is.
Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?
Yeah, well saddle up the mule, ma.Slide me some grits, I's gots to get me some edu-cation, uh hu hu hu.
You @sshole.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

probably the filename/path is too long. make sure your filename is not longer than 32 chars including extension.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

yeah, i found that out the hard way... i wrote me a vbs script that cleans up file names and lengths for this purpose now
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

if youre not satisfied with the max length thats very easy to change the defines values in the code and recompile it. i didnt want to use too much memory for a simple preview, and you can make a batch to rename your files so easily thats its really not a problem to me.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

nah im cool with it - just only found out after burning my first CD that were odd scrolling of long file names, so i made a second one and made a script that's all
Captain Spaulding
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Captain Spaulding »

Thanks for the tip, also Speud i love VMUTool i have been needing something like this for a long time as i dont go online with my Dreamcast and needed a way to transfer save games.
I know what your problem is.
Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?
Yeah, well saddle up the mule, ma.Slide me some grits, I's gots to get me some edu-cation, uh hu hu hu.
You @sshole.
tisurame
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tisurame »

Which resolution this emulator is running at ? Since 320x240 is supposedly the lowest resolution that Dreamcast can output. It's possible to implement a mode that put black bars with the objective to match the original 320 x 224 Genesis resolution ?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's currently running at 640x480, all graphics are scaled up to 2x the normal size, and the screen borders (at the top and bottom) are blanked out. The actual display area is either 640x448 (for the MD's high-res mode), or 512x448 (for the MD's low-res mode). At some point, I'm going to try to stretch the low-res mode to full screen. But not right now.

It used to run in 320x240 (see Preview 1)
tisurame
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tisurame »

Why not keep with the original Genesis resolution (320x240) ?

I running from Xbox emu scene because all emulators ran in 640x480, resulting in interlacing, image stretching, and filtering... it totally ruined the original feel for me.

If Dreamcast can output a 320x240 non-interlaced (progressive) resolution (something that Xbox can't), it would look much better than 640x480, isn't it ?

Sorry. I sold my Dreamcast, so I can't test Preview 1...but I thinking to buy another DC and this emulator is the reason.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If Dreamcast can output a 320x240 non-interlaced (progressive) resolution (something that Xbox can't), it would look much better than 640x480, isn't it ?
Actually, it looks crap. It looks good enough, until you see what it looks like at 640x480. It has really heavy scanline effects (which I don't like), the image itself looks blurry, and you can see where the DC's hardware has dithered the image. In 640x480, the image looks much clearer.

Oh, we aren't using any filtering or anything.
tisurame
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tisurame »

Oh no! :cry:

But it shouldn't looks crap! Sorry, BlackAura, but I think that there is something wrong. Playstation 2 Genesis Emulator runs games at 320x240 and it looks absolutely wonderfull. I know that PS2 and DC are completely different things, but at this point, they have the same characteristic: they can output non interlaced 15khz signals, getting pure signals from the gpu, not from the video converter.

So, the picture should be the same. I wonder why is not... :(
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

but if it looks good at 640x480 - so what difference does it make?
tisurame
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tisurame »

That's not the point. If it looks good at 640x480, it could look much better at a proper 320x240.

BlackAura, try to implement field rendering (draw to only one field of the screen). Just like Genesis, which could only draw to one field.

There is a way, since there is commercial games that use this kind of feature.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

tisurame wrote:Oh no! :cry:

But it shouldn't looks crap! Sorry, BlackAura, but I think that there is something wrong. Playstation 2 Genesis Emulator runs games at 320x240 and it looks absolutely wonderfull. I know that PS2 and DC are completely different things, but at this point, they have the same characteristic: they can output non interlaced 15khz signals, getting pure signals from the gpu, not from the video converter.

So, the picture should be the same. I wonder why is not... :(
PS2 can do 15khz? i thought it could only do NTSC and PAL not CGA/VGA
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man