For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

law56ker wrote:Well this product was free and the smashpack wasn't. Why should such a great feature that is not going ever be used again be put in the coffin just because it's a slightly touchy issue. America never got the chance to use this emulator. So basically we'll get that chance to play it. I'd like to come to each of your houses that use dc emulators and or ports to see if you own the games you emulate. I'd say 95 percent of you play atleast a couple if not hundred of games you don't own. So if your going critisize this I consider that you throw everything you have out and play only things you own. And then Dreamcast emulation whould die for sure.
But you did have to pay to play the games, which is why even SegaGEN-style emulators based off of the Web Browser were considered illegal too.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

az_bont wrote:But
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
az_bont wrote: you did have to pay to play the games, which is why even SegaGEN-style emulators based off of the Web Browser were considered illegal too.
Not exactly true. The browser did come with several games that could be played for free, and you didn't even need to connect to the internet to play them. These games were Pengo, and Flicky... maybe more. I didn't mess much with it because I cant read Japanese. "SegaGen" was based off the Sega Smash Pack, and so were all of the other variations of it. This costed money, so providing variations of it was not legal. The only one I've seen based off of the web browser included roms, making it illegal. Because the web browser is freeware, so is the emulator inside it, as long as it is not modified to violate the terms of the lisence agreement. If you dont include roms, it's just fine. Therefore, distributing free emulators is not illegal, and if it was, dcemulation.org probably would've been closed a LONG time ago.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Nice burns on Az, soicblur.
:flamer:

What we are using is the original emulator core, a component of DP3. I don't think reintroducing it to it's native environment is wrong, and if it is, too bad. It'll be about the last feature to come tho.

And thanks for the input Az.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

i cross my fingers
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, after a lot of bitching, release 4 is uploading. Admins, whoever gets it to the DC Homebrew site first, let the thread know and stick the link to the page in your reply.

What's new in Version 4:

- Upgraded to the Japenese PSOv2 DP3 (thanks sonicblur)

- Added nice start page (thanks Curtis)

- Added new DP3.ini and Message.ini (thanks Curtis)

- There are now a few flash games in the release (thanks Curtis)

- Configured browser as necessary to work with new DP3

This release is a boot kit release. I have released a stand alone version of the actual boot kit and what I feel is a damned fine explanation of how to use it. Both will be available on the XDP DCHB site.

I would really like to thank four people in no particualr order. First, sonicblur, for taking the time to properly rip the new DP3 for me. Second, Curtis, aka DreamservVMU, for all the endless amounts of information and files he has provided, and at the end of the day, still calls it "PI's project". Third, I would like to thank Krypt_, for making this and so many other things possible. I think Krypt_ is one of the most underappreciated people in this scene, moreso than Az_Bont, and it was a shame to see him leave. Finally, I will thank the man I cannot name. You know who you are, and we'll get that Megadrive / TG16 emu working eventually.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

fatheadpi wrote:I think Krypt_ is one of the most underappreciated people in this scene, moreso than Az_Bont, and it was a shame to see him leave.
I love it when people mention my name :D . And yes, it's quite sad to see Krypt_ leave - he's the reason half (if not more) of us got into DC Emulation.

And I have a question about the Web Browser - would it be possible to introduce a better MPEG-1 playing system? The European DreamKey 3.0 (based off of one of the JAP browsers, I'm not surw which one) had support for MPEG-1. It would provide a nice alternative to using the Dreamcast SDK Movie Maker, and would allow you to fit more on one CD-R, if at a lesser quality. The only problem I can think of is that it wouldn't allow clips over 12MB, but would it be possible to work around this?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Az, here's the thing about the mpeg playback system. While we now posses fully legal means of encoding adx audio (ADXEncdHelper, does it faster than the sdk kit) and a waaaaaaaaaaay better mpeg 1 encoder (TMPGEnc OWNZ, beats the SDK kit with a big wrench), we have no sofdec multiplexor. Once we get a sofdec multiplexor, we'll be in business. Note that sofdec files can be as large as you want, and 2-pass vbr files at 1550 with 1750 max and 1350 min look better than vhs. The only problem is ADX's god awful size (396 friggin kbps for a 44.1 16 bit stereo stream). I don't know that standard mpeg-1 playback is even possible under DP. The current XDP has a download limit of 800 megs (defineable under dp3.ini) but I don't think this really affects the browser at all, as it still loves to say 500 k files are too large.

Any capable coder who makes a sofdec multiplexor will be greatly appeciated. If you need some sofdec information, please PM me. Otherwise, I'll have to write Fathead P.I.'s illegal video creation guide. Again. Although Curtis and his old group used it to make videos on Sega forums and I guess they never minded...

Anyone upped XDP3v4 yet, or are we still suffering in the wake of the site being closed down for 36 hours?
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

fatheadpi wrote:I don't know that standard mpeg-1 playback is even possible under DP.
I know it's possible, but I'm not sure what version of DreamPassport supports it. One of the Sonic Adventure 2 preview videos on Sonicteam.com came in 3 versions, High, low, and "for dreamcast".
All 3 versions were MPEG, for dreamcast being the smallest one. However, I tried it in the 4th release you put out yesterday, (I managed to download it after waiting 2 minutes for the site to respond to each request) and messed around with it for a few hours.

I noticed the BBA setup is rather confusing still, not being entirely translated, so here is a short guide that should get you to the point where you can read the options:

BBA Setup Guide
1. In the browser, hit the Left trigger and go to the options menu.
2. Select the Lower right option of the 9 there, labeled as "ISP Settings" on the bottom.
3. You should see 3 categories on this screen. On the middle one, Move the cursor over to select BBA, and press A. The BBA setup screens will come up.
4. Nothing here is really translated, and the text on the bottom wont show up either. On the first option, there are two choices. The first one is probably DCHP. The 2nd choice is static IP. Select it, and press A.
If you select DCHP, nothing will happen, as there is nothing to configure, so skip to step 6.
If you selected Static IP, the Static IP settings screen will come up. Proceed to step 5.
5. On the Static IP settings screen, the first box want's the IP address.
The second box wants the subnet mask. The third box wants the address of the Gateway (or router). Hitting the only button at the bottom accepts the settings. It should take you back to the BBA setup screen. If it does not, go back there.
6. The second field on the BBA setup screen asks for the Broadcast IP. I'm not really sure what the purpose if it is. If you are using DCHP you should be able to leave it blank, or fill in 0.0.0.0. If you are using Static IP, fill in your IP address replacing the last number with 255. Ex. x.x.x.255
7. Hit the forward button the continue.
8. Everything from this point on has been translated, in some place or another, so you shouldn't need any more help.
9. After you configure the mail settings, you may get to a screen with some Japanese text. The only option you can do here is hit forward.
10. The final screen asks you to store password. This wants to know if you want to save your e-mail password inside the DC so you dont need to enter it.
11. After finishing the setup, you are sent back to the ISP settings screen. Just go down to the bottom to exit to the options menu, and save. You're done!

This release seems much better, except for some quirks on the options menu... I was able to do everything as supposed to with it yesterday, despite some problems with the options menu.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

where can i dl it ? i feel so stupid...
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

law wrote:where can i dl it ? i feel so stupid...
I'm not sure.
I had no problems downloading it from
http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/XDP.html
when the server was messed up yesterday. It took 2 minutes for every link I clicked to load, but I actually got it!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Anyone upped XDP3v4 yet, or are we still suffering in the wake of the site being closed down for 36 hours?
I uploaded it.. but forgot to let you know that I did it because of the hacking (I got banned as I was trying to PM you) :?

BTW- Xboot.rar looked like contained an old version of xdp so I removed it from the archive and added a file that explained that you need to DL new newest release and dump it into the xdp3 dir. I hope thats OK.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Thanks for upping it Zack, appreciate it, wish someone would shove the news up that a new version is out.

As for what the two files were...

XDP3v4 is the current release.

XBoot is a full bootkit (no XDP) with my good explanation on how to self boot it. So I'd kinda like to see that uploaded.

XDP Versions one and two can be dumped, but leave v3 up until someone makes a v4 image set.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

check http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/XDP.html and make sure everything is OK.
XBoot is a full bootkit (no XDP) with my good explanation on how to self boot it. So I'd kinda like to see that uploaded.
The xboot.rar file I downloaded was 5+mb and contained an older xdp version.. So I just deleted the xdp dir and zipped it back up.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

glad to see that the release went well,im downloading it now for keep sakes. if anyone wants my version of dreampassport premire 3 skin edtion dctv(actually functions like webtv)keep checking here,im posting my own websites link to it as full nero image in a day or so.

Curtis.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Hey Curtis, would you mind if I used that skin for version 5?

Also, someone is hooking me up with the dreamongen emulator, so I'll see what can be done about that.

Any luck with your file system tests? Mine didn't go so well...

Oh, and if you have access to DPP, PM me about it, I want to talk to you about something.
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

fatheadpi wrote:Also, someone is hooking me up with the dreamongen emulator, so I'll see what can be done about that.
You're aware that DreamOnGen is just another hack of the Smash Pack with a bunch of roms included and a really cool custom menu, right? That one isn't legal.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

damn, i hope somone gets some selfbooted images of v4 up soon, cdrecord wont give me my damn scsi number poo poo or whatever. i dont evne understand that, i dont have a scsi burner anyway
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

Xylene wrote:damn, i hope somone gets some selfbooted images of v4 up soon, cdrecord wont give me my damn scsi number poo poo or whatever. i dont evne understand that, i dont have a scsi burner anyway
I know it seems odd, but you DONT need SCSI to use CDrecord. You still get an ID
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

Than why won't it work for me?
mmm.... n00b blood
bizzle

Post by bizzle »