The decline of personal videogaming..

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

It's strange. I was almost totally out of gaming for the longest time, but then suddenly it just picked back up again once Oblivion came. And now I'm back in the swing of it. The best thing I found to help push my gaming habits back into gear is to limit my selection. Sure, I have a huge library of games, but if I force myself to only pick and play one or two at a time, I tend to play them more often. Jumping around from game to game constantly will quickly wear out your desire to play them. And it doesn't really matter the length of the game either, but if I know that playing a game means I'm stuck with it, I find myself really playing it intensively to get through it, and then subsequently suddenly becoming much more absorbed into it.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I feel in how strider is feeling. Games are boring now compared in how they were in the 16 bit days. Games today just lack the imagination that the 16 bitters. There are many people who disagree but fuck em. When I play a 16 bit title its fun and exciting. God of war, Halo,Doom 3 all of these new game are complete and utter garbage compared to the older games and generation. I have a wii and I believe its fun and give me more joy then the other 2 systems. However my NES and SNES gets booted up more because the games on the systems are fun and has a lot of imagination involved.if the world had 16 bit forever, I'd be happy but people are stale and have to like "newer" things and that is all fine but 8/16 bit will always be better in my heart.
i think that is why we have dreamcasts, it came out while the 3d games still had actual effort put into them like all the 16 bit games. when developers made the best game they could, instead of going solely for a profit they put great gameplay 1st and profit 2nd. nowadays we dont see this kinda effort and get countless fps and gta clones and games where its just cut their heads off because you are a 12 year old with a m rated game so its the funnest game ever.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

i tend to play a lot when i actually start playing...its just starting the system up i tend to lack at
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

melancholy wrote:It's strange. I was almost totally out of gaming for the longest time, but then suddenly it just picked back up again once Oblivion came. And now I'm back in the swing of it. The best thing I found to help push my gaming habits back into gear is to limit my selection. Sure, I have a huge library of games, but if I force myself to only pick and play one or two at a time, I tend to play them more often. Jumping around from game to game constantly will quickly wear out your desire to play them. And it doesn't really matter the length of the game either, but if I know that playing a game means I'm stuck with it, I find myself really playing it intensively to get through it, and then subsequently suddenly becoming much more absorbed into it.
Same here. I got in a bit of a gaming slump a while ago, in fact I made a thread about it as well. Then I got my 360 and have been having good times ever since (except lately, but I'm just extremely busy right now and don't have much time for it. Gonna give Castlevania a few good hours tonight though).

What I found was that I was playing too many games at once. I'd play one for a few hours then move onto another one. What I do now is limit myself to 2 or 3 games at a time, now things are much better for the same reasons mel said. I haven't touched my Dreamcast or DS in a while though, unfortunately. I need to get back into them, but when you have so many consoles it's hard when you are just trying to finish a couple of games at a time.

Also, if you really aren't into it, just stop for a bit. Do something else, run, ride a bike, watch movies and TV shows. I did that as well. After a while you kind of get a sort of withdrawal thing going on. When you really feel you need to play a game, grab one or 2 really good ones and stick with them 'till the end.

Good luck.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

Caboose wrote:
melancholy wrote: Also, if you really aren't into it, just stop for a bit. Do something else, run, ride a bike, watch movies and TV shows. I did that as well. After a while you kind of get a sort of withdrawal thing going on. When you really feel you need to play a game, grab one or 2 really good ones and stick with them 'till the end.

Good luck.
Yeah, im the opposite in a few ways. Ive been watching movies and tv shows on dvd, and its been more fun i guess as im older i move my interests in other things. Ive been playing NSMB on DS again and Metal Slug on DC. Seen a ton of movies as well.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Today I decided to Boot up "Mortal Kombat : deception" for the cube and realized how fun of a 3d fighter it is (Unlike Deadly Alliance and MK 4 was) Also I decided to Start a new quest on Zelda : Wind Waker and since I haven't touched it after completing it 3 years ago,it feels fun again. I guess with the newer titles I have to break from every now and again but I still don't enjoy them as much as the older games,maybe I am just too much of a retro freak however I am not afraid to try new stuff (bought Wii on Launch day \nn/ ^_^ \nn/ ).

Before playing the cube I decided to boot up the following.. River City Ransom NES, Beat it in my usual 20 mins, Vice Project Doom in 45 mins and so on. I wish games today were as fun as yesteryear I like some of my new stuff but the old stuff gets the most play. 3d just gets old.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Maybe try Alien Hominid HD on XBLA if you like Metal Slug. Or perhaps something like God Of War 1 or 2 on PS2.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I own Alien Homid on GC, such a over rated title. The game play is broke, let me explain. I can beat Contra on the NES without the 30 man code because the shooting system is so well defined and you have great response time when a enemy fires at you. In alien hominid you have little to NO time to react once someone or something shoots at you. After the game was completed it collects dust with no intentions of play again since the system is slop compared to other shooters.

Metal slug is a pretty good game series, I really didn't care for it at first but after buying the Anthology for the wii I can see why people like it but the game is missing a key feature that annoys me to death....NO DIAGONAL SHOT!!!!!! This is why I love contra, you can shoot diagonally and take on coming foes that are in the air.
Have you played dreamcast today?