Sony: PS3 will replace computers, controller not copied

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Covar »

coming from the company that claims their machine could render toy story in real time, i just have nothing to add except for:

:rofl:
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

melancholy wrote:
Sony Europe PR monkey, Phil Harrison wrote:... When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real-time 3D graphics for the first time...
I honestly have nothing to add to the hilarity of this. The argument does a fine job destroying itself.
I know the quote speaks for itself but since I already have this handy might as well throw it in:

:roll: :arrow: :lol:
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

sixteen-bit wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Sony Europe PR monkey, Phil Harrison wrote:... When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real-time 3D graphics for the first time...
I honestly have nothing to add to the hilarity of this. The argument does a fine job destroying itself.
I know the quote speaks for itself but since I already have this handy might as well throw it in:

How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I Robot doesnt count in Sony land for proving that quote wrong as its an arcade game, well thats probably what theyd say anyway.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Sony Europe executive Phil Harrison wrote:"...all games will use the motion sensor somehow. If you play a platform or soccer game now, you will move the controller. Now for the first time we can use both the primary input, executed by the analog sticks, and at the same time use the movements that the player makes as a secondary input. That is an important advantage, which only the PlayStation controller has."
So only the DualShock3 has primary inputs along with motion sensors? :roll: What about the Wiimote?

And, at the conference I watched, only one (1) game used the motion sensors. (Not very well, I may add.) Everybody got up there to play their demos on stage, and not one of them was tilting the controller. That is, until Sony made the big reveal. Were they told not to so as to preserve the "surprise?" Or maybe the games they were demoing DON'T USE THE MOTION SENSORS? I guess, never having played a PS3 game myself, that odds are 50/50 on this point.
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I think my favorite part of their argument was the fact that the Playstation was originally developed to be a part of the Super Nintendo. Therefore, the 3D technology in the Playstation was, in fact, originally Nintendo's idea. :lol:
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

melancholy wrote:I think my favorite part of their argument was the fact that the Playstation was originally developed to be a part of the Super Nintendo. Therefore, the 3D technology in the Playstation was, in fact, originally Nintendo's idea. :lol:
too bad panosonic got the raw end of the deal :P
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Im starting to think Sony really wants out of the console market and are purposley making themselves look stupid, but if im wrong and they're really this stupid.....then XD HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

sixteen-bit wrote:
melancholy wrote:

I remember playing that second game. I'm not gonna lie; it was awesome.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Ceeg wrote:Im starting to think Sony really wants out of the console market and are purposley making themselves look stupid
Yeah, you sure have them figured out, champ. :roll:
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

oh and to cement any possible excuses sony might say. like say were the first console to make 3d a standard. the japanese saturn launched with virtua fighter. a couple months before the psx.

source
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

SONY INVENTED VIDEO GAMES
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Covar wrote:oh and to cement any possible excuses sony might say. like say were the first console to make 3d a standard. the japanese saturn launched with virtua fighter. a couple months before the psx.

source
As the Saturn flopped pretty badly and the majority of its titles were 2D, I think saying the PS1 was the first console to make 3D 'a standard' is actually fair.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Covar wrote:oh and to cement any possible excuses sony might say. like say were the first console to make 3d a standard. the japanese saturn launched with virtua fighter. a couple months before the psx.

source
As the Saturn flopped pretty badly and the majority of its titles were 2D, I think saying the PS1 was the first console to make 3D 'a standard' is actually fair.
wikipedia wrote:Although the Saturn was outsold by the PlayStation in Japan between 1995 and 1997, Saturn software enjoyed higher sales leading to the perception that the Saturn was the platform of choice for more dedicated gamers while the PlayStation had a more casual audience.

Many of the games that made the Saturn popular in Japan, such as the Sakura Taisen series and numerous quirky anime style RPGs, were never released in foreign territories due to policies put in place by then Sega of America president Bernie Stolar who believed that RPGs were not appealing to the North American audience.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Nyarlathotep wrote:

source
the saturn was orginally suppose to be a super power 2d machine, the 3d elements were threw in at the last moment just like the motion sensor of the ps3 i guess :/

And seeing that everyone is saying its pretty much impossible to come up with simular ideas I guess sega ripped off sony by copying the pocketstation to make their vmus
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

ASCIIN wrote:the saturn was orginally suppose to be a super power 2d machine, the 3d elements were threw in at the last moment
I hear this a lot, but I hear from more informed sources that after seeing PS1 they totally scrapped their existing design and started over with like 18 months to go. IIRC, the original so-called "Giga Drive" design was reported to be much closer to the arcade systems; something like a hybrid of Model 1 and System 32. I've never heard any real support for the notion that 3D was thrown in at the last minute except that it's something that "everyone knows". Considering the number of staggeringly wrong things that "everyone knows" about console tech ("You can't burn Gamecube DVDs because it spins the discs backwards!") , I don't give that much weight.

Also, the main reason most of Saturn's games are 2D is that it had a huge number of arcade ports from Capcom, SNK, Raizing, Taito, et. al. The fact that Saturn kicks PS1's ass at 2D does not mean that Saturn sucks at 3D or wasn't designed for 3D.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
ASCIIN wrote:the saturn was orginally suppose to be a super power 2d machine, the 3d elements were threw in at the last moment
I hear this a lot, but I hear from more informed sources that after seeing PS1 they totally scrapped their existing design and started over with like 18 months to go. IIRC, the original so-called "Giga Drive" design was reported to be much closer to the arcade systems; something like a hybrid of Model 1 and System 32. I've never heard any real support for the notion that 3D was thrown in at the last minute except that it's something that "everyone knows". Considering the number of staggeringly wrong things that "everyone knows" about console tech ("You can't burn Gamecube DVDs because it spins the discs backwards!") , I don't give that much weight.

Also, the main reason most of Saturn's games are 2D is that it had a huge number of arcade ports from Capcom, SNK, Raizing, Taito, et. al. The fact that Saturn kicks PS1's ass at 2D does not mean that Saturn sucks at 3D or wasn't designed for 3D.
uhh there has been documentaries on it, I remeber on that show "Icons" they were talking about how it was originally suppose to be a 2d machine but add 3d elements later to compete with the ps1..
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Considering that "Icons" is the show where they couldn't bother to figure out how to pronounce "Yamauchi" correctly, I can't say I trust that as a source. Besides, do you seriously believe that they would launch a 2D-focused console after having already released the 3D-capable 32X and at a time when their biggest arcade hits were 3D?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Considering that "Icons" is the show where they couldn't bother to figure out how to pronounce "Yamauchi" correctly, I can't say I trust that as a source. Besides, do you seriously believe that they would launch a 2D-focused console after having already released the 3D-capable 32X and at a time when their biggest arcade hits were 3D?
Well I wouldn't count it out seeing that actual sega representatives appeared in the episode, so I have a hard time believe that they just made it up.

i think the complete failure of the 32x might have showed them that 3D isnt the right way to go at the moment and seeing at the time it was being developed the home console market was still mainly 2D, and maybe wanted a console more powerful than the snes?
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Ex-Cyber wrote:The fact that Saturn kicks PS1's ass at 2D does not mean that Saturn sucks at 3D or wasn't designed for 3D.
When done properly the Saturn was more than capable of matching and even surpassing the PS1 in the 3D dept.
Take a look at DOA on the Saturn and of course the Saturn Shenmue video. I don't think those would be possible with a machine that had 3D thrown in at the last minute.