New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by compacho »

Lol, I yelped a big "Ooooooooooooohhh" when I read the part that says the contoller can be turned sideways to be used as a NES controller.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I dont see how you would be able to play the old NES games with that thing. I hope this doesnt kill the revo.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

tuen the remote sideways and it looks like it would be a decent nes pad...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'm a whore. I'll still buy it.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

another viewpoint, courtesy of CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/15/comment ... tm?cnn=yes
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

HAHAHAHA THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Looks pretty cool, actually. I'm excited. Simplicity can be good. The less goddamn buttons/annoying combo presses to pull, the better.
Very sexy hero, omg
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Okay, boys and girls, time for a little HISTORY LESSON!

There was a time when many people thought the lightpen would be everyone's computer pointing device of choice. It was so intuitive, just touch the monitor with it. Unlike the mouse, you move it on the desk and see the result of the action somewhere else.

Why then are lightpens forgotten, and mouses in every computer out there? Because, to use a lightpen, you have to rise your arm and hold it against the screen. Sounds easy, but after a while it gets really tiresome, makes your arm ache. A mouse does not have this problem, you just rest your arm on the desk.

From the pics, I'd bet this controller has the same issue. It WILL be tiresome to play for too long - say, over half an hour. As someone in another forum described: "yet another game controller for non-gamers."

Disappointing? More like a DISASTER. On par with the controllers for the Fairchild Channel F, the Philips CD-i, and the Intellivision.

Nintendo R.I.P., indeed. :(
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

Stormwatch wrote:Okay, boys and girls, time for a little HISTORY LESSON!

There was a time when many people thought the lightpen would be everyone's computer pointing device of choice. It was so intuitive, just touch the monitor with it. Unlike the mouse, you move it on the desk and see the result of the action somewhere else.

Why then are lightpens forgotten, and mouses in every computer out there? Because, to use a lightpen, you have to rise your arm and hold it against the screen. Sounds easy, but after a while it gets really tiresome, makes your arm ache. A mouse does not have this problem, you just rest your arm on the desk.

From the pics, I'd bet this controller has the same issue. It WILL be tiresome to play for too long - say, over half an hour. As someone in another forum described: "yet another game controller for non-gamers."

Disappointing? More like a DISASTER. On par with the controllers for the Fairchild Channel F, the Philips CD-i, and the Intellivision.

Never really thought about it like that. Good point..
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Stormwatch wrote:Okay, boys and girls, time for a little HISTORY LESSON!

1up wrote: At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked. It wasn't perfect yet - the Revolution controller functionality had just been added recently and wasn't bug tested or polished, so every so often the view would "spaz out" for a couple seconds - but it was enough to get me excited. As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup.
I'm wary -- there's no denying that -- but after reading about hands-on experience with it, I'm willing to give it a chance. It does sound like it could work... maybe.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Well, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has thought about this. Anyways, it's not like u have to hold you arm straight out while playing. Just rest your elbows on your lap and move your lower arm a lil. I'm pretty sure nintendo doesn't want its players to be swinging their arms in complete 180 degree angles for hours now.

I just thought of something. Imagine, in a nba game, how cool it would be to actually shoot free throws. :)
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Edit: delete me. I didn't see page 2
Last edited by butters on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

The new controller looks simplistic and easy to use.....I figure just like I got used to using the n64 controller, that at first I'll hate it, but will quickly learn to love. If not, thank god that I can use cube controllers with the revolution; and I fail to see how one can play snes, nes, games with that controller....
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

After reading that... i kinda want a revolution now.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I don't want nintendo to die..........but I know since people are scared of new things, this may be the end for them. *cries*
Have you played dreamcast today?
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

WHy do I get the feeling that Nintendo is planning to screw us by selling Snes and N64 controller add-ons to actually play those games?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/ ... ids_1.html

Video of the controller in action. It looks like it'll work extremely well for shooters and swordplay but I bet your arm would get tired fairly quickly
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I don't want nintendo to die..........but I know since people are scared of new things, this may be the end for them. *cries*
Yeah, as we all saw with Sega, the 1st person to put something new out there will largely get it poorly implemented. I have a feeling that this controller, while having awesome possibilties, will have largely terrible games that only use the novelty of it and have no backbone. It won't be until such a design was ever "accepted" that substantial games would be made to use it. Just like the SegaCD opened up tons of space to developers, who then made crap games that were nothing but FMV. Then the PSX and Square came along and blended FMV with normal gameplay to make such awesome games as FFVII.

In the console world, at least, it's hard to be first.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

OK, now that I've calmed down, and read through all the articles out there, who here still believes the PS3 controller is still the worst of the bunch? I do.

Still though, isn't this the Eyetoy all over?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Seems like a good controller for sexual education games.