Dreamchess.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Imerion »

Whoa! Looks very good and all in 3d! This I have to download now. Perhaps now is the time to finally get good at chess.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

That looks AWESOME!! great work!!

Its about time someone made chess for DC, chess seems like the game ported to every possible platform.

I didnt really read about it,but does it have person vs CPU with a good AI? If not,there is probably a good open source AI you can find and use/or model it after.

well, the graphics are just outstanding. ANy plans to do any other classic board games? you could make them all in a nice little 1 sbi package program. (only checkers comes to mind,but im sure there are many others.)
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

Phantom wrote:
JAaron77 wrote:hmmm... I've never tried making models for a game. What format do they need to be in? ...I'm quite familiar with Lightwave but not so much anything else. perhaps I'd be able to export them...
We use our own model format that we call DCM. The files are created with a blender export script. As long as the model can be imported in blender, it should be possible to export it to the DCM format. Blender has many import scripts (including 3DS and LWO).
guess it's time for me to learn a bit more about blender then :D s'been a while since I last tried it... no doubt it's much better now than it was years ago
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I.M. Weasel wrote:I didnt really read about it,but does it have person vs CPU with a good AI?
It does have AI. Whether it's good depends on what you compare it to. It's nothing compared to the likes of ChessMaster or Crafty. But it's much stronger than the chess game that's included in Hoyle Board Games 2003 (for example).
I.M. Weasel wrote:If not,there is probably a good open source AI you can find and use/or model it after.
DreamChess is an xboard interface so it can use any xboard engine (in theory). Such an engine would need to be ported to Dreamcast first though.
I.M. Weasel wrote:ANy plans to do any other classic board games?
No. :)
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

JAaron77 wrote:guess it's time for me to learn a bit more about blender then :D s'been a while since I last tried it... no doubt it's much better now than it was years ago
Blender is good but you can use any program you like (e.g. 3D Studio) as long as it has an export format that blender can import.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

A bit dorky idea. but if anyone is good enough with making modles, a sonic themed board with sonic character modles. lol. Put those annoying lil chaos as pawns. )()(
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

Nico0020 wrote:A bit dorky idea. but if anyone is good enough with making modles, a sonic themed board with sonic character modles. lol. Put those annoying lil chaos as pawns. )()(
dorky? maybe, but I think it'd be only fitting since it is a Sega system... I don't think I'm yet skilled enough to do something like that though.. especially 'round only 150 polygons..
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Phantom wrote:
Orange_Ribbon wrote:Okay I must be really stupid, but I can't figure out how to download the windows version. Can someone hit me up with a direct link?
There's no windows demo at this time. Maybe I'll build one later today.
Cool. I thought Mr Siggler said there was one. I can't wait. Dunca
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Whats the future plans for DreamChess? Will it go comercialy published and sold?
It looks way too cool and for themeing capabilities, i can think of many possibilities.
Remember Bomberman Wars for 32bit systems? Mind a Sega vs Nintendo theme? Sonic, Knuckles, Nights, Ulala against Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby and so on.
And that cell shaded demo we saw other day? Could this thech be usable in this engine?

I dunno how to model in 3d, but it gives me many ideas of what could be done, just being limited by the modeler ability :D

Realy, thank you for this great game.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Phantom wrote:
Salamander2 wrote:internet ranking.
We're planning an online mode, but we probably won't start on that till next year. (Assuming that the interest in this project is large enough to warrant further development in the first place.)
I'm a bit out of the loop, but can KOS talk to the dial-up modem yet? If so, online play for DreamChess would be awesome. It could be done through e-mail like Sega Swirl. Then there'd be no need for servers or anything.

Also, it would be cool if you could set the board up any way and begin playing from postitions other than the standard start. Maybe that's already implemented, I haven't had a chance to burn the release yet.

...word is bondage...
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

DCmad wrote:Whats the future plans for DreamChess? Will it go comercialy published and sold?
That's highly unlikely.
DCmad wrote:Remember Bomberman Wars for 32bit systems? Mind a Sega vs Nintendo theme? Sonic, Knuckles, Nights, Ulala against Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby and so on.
If people want to create themes like that for personal use that's fine with me, but we cannot include those themes in the DreamChess package for legal reasons.
DCmad wrote:And that cell shaded demo we saw other day? Could this thech be usable in this engine?
I don't think we'll ever include cell shading. ;)
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Sweater Fish wrote:I'm a bit out of the loop, but can KOS talk to the dial-up modem yet?
I have no idea.
Sweater Fish wrote:If so, online play for DreamChess would be awesome. It could be done through e-mail like Sega Swirl. Then there'd be no need for servers or anything.
If online play is ever implemented it'll probably use FICS.
Sweater Fish wrote:Also, it would be cool if you could set the board up any way and begin playing from postitions other than the standard start.
That's one of the many features that's missing. ;) In the future this will probably be implemented.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Nah, i suck in 3D modelling, but i got my first theme for DreamChess, i called it Sonic vs Mario: Battle Chess!

As you can see, i wrote everything in portuguese, my language, and i must say it's very easy to work with.
I have some things to point:

-I can't change the "white" and "black" names. Would be cool to make it customizable too.

-There's no way i set everything to only 1 theme option? Or one option to change all the game parts apart from the individual ones? For my skin, i must select Theme = Sonic vs Mario, Chess set = Sonic vs Mario and (when i do it) Board = Sonic whatever...
And if i had only one option to set Theme (chess set, board, theme) to Sonic vs Mario and others to set everything individualy?

-In Dreamcast, there's no 2nd controller. Using Human vs Human, contoller 1 moves everything.

-Ogg music would be cool eh?

-VMU saves for records and options?

-DCM 3D modells allow animations? Would be great to have animations when a piece takes another :)

Wish you the best luck in making it another homebrew masterpiece.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

DCmad wrote:Nah, i suck in 3D modelling, but i got my first theme for DreamChess, i called it Sonic vs Mario: Battle Chess!
Looks nice. :)
DCmad wrote:-I can't change the "white" and "black" names. Would be cool to make it customizable too.
Yeah. But in the end this will probably not be something that is part of the theme. We want to allow people to use their own name and avatar in the future (e.g. for online play).
DCmad wrote:-There's no way i set everything to only 1 theme option?
Not right now. We split everything up to allow parts of a theme to be reused without having to copy the files. In the end we want a theme to be an XML file which sets all the theme options, pieces, boards, etc.
DCmad wrote:-In Dreamcast, there's no 2nd controller. Using Human vs Human, contoller 1 moves everything.
Yeah, that will probably be fixed in the future.
DCmad wrote:-Ogg music would be cool eh?
Probably won't be possible for performance reasons.
DCmad wrote:-VMU saves for records and options?
Will be done in the future. As well as regular game saves ofcourse.
DCmad wrote:-DCM 3D modells allow animations? Would be great to have animations when a piece takes another :)
It doesn't allow that right now, but it would be cool indeed. But some of the other issues you mentioned have a higher priority.

Thanks for your feedback. :)
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

There's a few more things I'd like to point out.

There's now a (very basic) website at http://dreamchess.berlios.de
Bug reports and feature requests can be submitted on our BerliOS project site at http://developer.berlios.de/projects/dreamchess/. If they're submitted there they won't be forgotten.

We also forgot to mention that the board can be rotated. You can do this by holding the left ctrl key while pushing the cursor keys. On Dreamcast you can rotate the board with the analog stick.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Several websites have reported the release of DreamChess 0.6. This is a misunderstanding. On 2005-06-16 we released a demo version of DreamChess on a Dreamcast forum. The purpose of this release was to get some initial feedback on the game and possibly get more people to join the project. This demo is not DreamChess 0.6. It was compiled from revision 223 in our SVN repository and is not an official release. The first official release will be called DreamChess 0.1.0 and will most likely be released later this year.
:oops:

I hate it when I'm the one who is the catalyst towards spreading bad information.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Majestic MetaFox wrote:I hate it when I'm the one who is the catalyst towards spreading bad information.
No worries. ;) I should have chosen a clearer filename.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I'll have to burn this when I get some more CD-R's. Great Job!
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

Working on a theme as I type!