Is driving hard?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Thomas »

It's a lot of fun, except when you have to go on and off the clutch in heavy traffic.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I can offer 2 contradicting views.

1. Yes it's fun, it's hell easy to learn in a auto just until you're comfortable with road rules, stopping distances, and just general driving.

2. It's still fun, but learning in a manual is also best because it gets you use of the gears. Something I still can't do very well. I drove my gf's car for a bit and stalled it twice. Pissed me off so I gave up.

So both points have "do this one first because..." but that contradicts itself

EDITED
Last edited by Skynet on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Driving is ok. I hated it to death but needed to learn. So I wasn't a great pupil but I still passed my test after 20 or so lessons over 4 months. If you have a car to practice in then you'll need less formal lessons.

After I'd passed it got a lot easier and a lot of pressure was taken off making it fun to just cruise around.

And I hate to say it, because you shouldn't worry about it, but you're more likely to survive a crash as a driver than being knocked down as a pedestrian.
Buy yourself a nice safe car as well. Some cars are deathtraps, avoid them. Find a consumer rights organisation safety list or something to help you choose.

And it is true that most drivers end up hating driving most of the time when they have to do it with any regularity in bad traffic.
But ask any long time driver if they'd give up the car and most would say no.

Go for it mate :D
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

It is easy to learn to drive.

However, it is rather difficult to learn how to drive well. Unfortunately, very few people put in the effort to learn that.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Re: Is driving hard?

Post by I.M. Weasel »

GyroVorbis wrote: Is driving hard?
only if you're a woman. Or if you have a bag over your head and one pegleg. Or if you're a woman.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I.M. Weasel wrote:
only if you're a woman. Or if you have a bag over your head and one pegleg. Or if you're a woman.
Or if your a buckeye they can't drive for shit.
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by wes1406 »

OldSkoolGamer wrote:
Code-Red wrote:Learn manual first.
I agree with this. There will be times when you might need it. If you start on automatics, you might not bother learning manual.

I also think manuals are more fun to drive.

Just make sure you learn on someone else's car.
I also agree about learning manual. If you can drive a stick, you can drive anything....but you don't necesarily have to learn it first. My first stick shift was my third car.

Also, stick shifts are cheaper to buy.
:)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Calavera wrote:
I.M. Weasel wrote:
Or if your a buckeye they can't drive for poop.
Funny that you say that. That's something I've noticed as well, and it's something my friend who grew up in Vienna, WV points out all the time.
DreamZone Forums

curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

wes1406 wrote:Also, stick shifts are cheaper to buy.
Yeah, if you can find one. They seem to be disappearing off the face of the planet nowadays. I was looking for a nice, new F-150, and couldn't find one manual on the lot.
DreamZone Forums

Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Driving is pretty easy and is fun. Unless you have a boring car :?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I throw my hat in with the driving is easy bunch, stupid havin to take lessons before a test slowed me down, stupid rule that. The biggest worry about takin a driving test is 'has the examiner met his pass quota today?' well it is here anyway, if so no matter how well you do you're screwed, they will of course deny having a quota
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Depends where you live. If you live in a big city with non-stop traffic jams then its a pain in the ass. If you live in a small town its not too bad. Don't be scared of all the crap those drivers ed and state test books tell you. Next time your out and about just look at some of the complete morons around you that drive.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Yeah, if you can find one. They seem to be disappearing off the face of the planet nowadays. I was looking for a nice, new F-150, and couldn't find one manual on the lot.
Sheesh, I have exactly the opposite problem.
Manual gears do rock to an extent, if you like the feeling of controlling the car I suppose, but I want an automatic and to get one is a lot more difficult over here. For used cars anyway. Many new cars come with the option.

I'm not sure which of are the nation of crazy nutters in this argument...
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

Always drive fast, its funner and you only live once. If you get a ticket driving fast, dont worry, because the time you save (5 minutes or so usually) will be well worth it. Have fun!
Silence is Golden
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

saber07 wrote:Always drive fast, its funner and you only live once. If you get a ticket driving fast, dont worry, because the time you save (5 minutes or so usually) will be well worth it. Have fun!

Lolz.

Anyway I'm not old enough to drive but I can take drivers ed in march or so provided that the school has the program.

Just assume everyone is a complete moron and will do the worst possible thing they can. Otherwise you'll be really surprised.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

curt_grymala wrote:
Next year toyota is doing away with manuals all together. There just isn't a market for them anymore. Auto's and the semi's are all you need anymore.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

stupid havin to take lessons before a test slowed me down, stupid rule that.
You have to? Dammit, im probably gunna get ripped off
they will of course deny having a quota
Is there anything/where that says they do have quota's. I wasn't sure if it was bull crap or not
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Random_Troll wrote: Next year toyota is doing away with manuals all together. There just isn't a market for them anymore. Auto's and the semi's are all you need anymore.
yea, its good to see that companies have finally got the semi's working properly, I can remember companies like Mitsibishi bring it out a few years back and having to recall cos it didn't work properly.

I want to get my motorcycle licence but its too expensive here. Once I do get it I'll have my car, boat/marine and bike licence :twisted:
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Driving may be quite intimidating for the first time, but its a snap to get used to. Don't feel too frusterated if you can't do everything without some practice.

About the learning to drive with a stick:

Everyone can agree that its a good skill to have. For example, my rents went to Mexico and rented a car. It wasn't unill they filled the paperwork were they presented their new rental - which was a stick. Luckily for them they know how to drive. However, many people would have been screwed. For work I often have to drive trucks with a manual tranny. Heck, I even a friggin tractor required my clutch driving skillz. If ever in an emergency situation, it would be best to know how to drive any given car. Also, driving stick has many advantages (which I wont get in to) over driving auto. With my first car I didn't know better. Luckly it was a stick though. However with my second and third cars, I made sure to have manual transmissions.

Although I didn't learn to drive with a stick, its possible. Just really hard. Don't give up :wink:
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

curt_grymala wrote:
I hate all these god damn auto-manual style "Shiftmatic" cars that are coming out now. I want either automatic or manual. No inbetween or cross. Those transmissions are gay anyways, ever try racing with one? Doesnt work.

The absolute easiest way to learn how to drive stick, I will try to explain here:

1. Before starting up the car, make sure the car is in reverse gear.
2. Push the clutch all the way in, put your foot on the brake, and start the car.
3. Depending on how your parked, put the gear into 1st. Very slowly take out the clutch until you can feel the car slowly roll forward. At this point, start adding gas. After the car gets moving, let the clutch out.
3a. If you are having trouble with this step, try revving the car up to about 2k rpm's, and let out the clutch slowly. This is bad for the clutch but it does help you learn how it works.
4. After 1st gear its easy, just every time you shift, put the clutch in first, then shift the gear, then let the clutch out smoothly.

After time, you will learn exactly when your car catches the clutch plate, and your 1st gear take offs will become faster and smoother. Taking your car out to race is good aswell, as it helps smooth out the jerkyness of your shifts.
Last edited by Code-Red on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.