DREAMCAST HARD DRIVE (POSSIBLE-YES)

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pyrosurfer »

So its not compatible with the original drivers?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Well, it is technically possible to make it much faster than previous attempts. The DC has enough power and with the right development team, it could work.

However, they would also need to know how to code for the dc, like matthemodder said, cause no one likes to find out if it works unless someone else has. We could just email Iomega and ask about their zip drive. They should have a prototype of it along with some software we could use. They dont just throw that stuff in the garbage can. They were almost done, weren't they?

EDIT : There is no driver for the HD, Pyrosurfer. Those examples on the net are custom software for it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

there is a driver in netbsd for the hard drive, as well as a driver in KOS for it (but i dont know if it progressed further than being a driver for the navi DC, which was Dan Potter's version with a custom bios)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

This isn't breadboard stuff here, you need some serious electronic skills to make the board and everything work. I would think it could take even a skilled person a couple of goes to make it with the pics I've seen of it.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Dark Savant0 wrote:We could just email Iomega and ask about their zip drive. They should have a prototype of it along with some software we could use. They dont just throw that stuff in the garbage can. They were almost done, weren't they?
Yeah, I'm sure they want to help a bunch of kids at some message board.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Xylene wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:We could just email Iomega and ask about their zip drive. They should have a prototype of it along with some software we could use. They dont just throw that stuff in the garbage can. They were almost done, weren't they?
Yeah, I'm sure they want to help a bunch of kids at some message board.
Yes, and I'm also sure they would give away patiented technology with all the documentation on how it works
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

hm ok im to techy but hrere is a rough idea:

a port with decent speed being able to upload / download is the controller port ( faster then serial afaik )
why not:
1. get a hdd like http://www.teac.com/DSPD/HardDrives.htm
2. build a cable usb <-> dc controller port
3. compile a new dclinux for starters with the proper support

is that really impossible ?

points to aim for a dc hdd:
- a basic linux with xserver and mplayer
- emails can be saved on it (linuxdc already supports bba, modem could follow)
- well, its would be a simple linux, but prboom could run on it bc we can swap to hdd

thoughts besides "nah, stupid"
ImageImage
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

is that really impossible ?
No just a lot of time and learning for nothing, apart from everybody on this forum going "ooooooo"
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

If I was going to make it I would etch out a circuit board.

The dc's parallel expansion bay is capable of speeds up to 50MB/s, so it is the way to go.

I remember dan potter was planning on doing some incredible stuff with the interface. He even had plans to add implement pci by using a buffer chip. He had it all lined up to where he was actually going to sell them on printed pcbs. Anyone know what happened?

Oh and matt, this will add more functionality to your dc than adding leds or painting the case (if someone sold these I could see it being implemented in homebrew). If I ever attempt this, even though I probably will fail, I will come out with a lot more knowledge of digital electronics than I had at the start.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Pyrosurfer wrote:The dc's parallel expansion bay is capable of speeds up to 50MB/s, so it is the way to go.
Indeed, none of the other ports are appropriate if you're trying for decent speed.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

not to diss the DC or anything, but today a xbox is far better suited for this kind of stuff, sure its a bit more expensive, sure it needs a mod chip, but it has the hdd already worked in to it, it has a NIC suited for 100 Mbit lan, it has 4 ports wich can function as USB ports, and there are various linud distros available, even a lot wich dont need a mod chip to install, but use various software exploits to flash the tsop bios chip

and a new xbox only costs 140 to 150 bucks today, personally if i wanted to get into deep hardware modding, and using a console for homebrew of server apps, id go xbox, it is basicly a p3 PC with some changes
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

But that's no challenge. Plus this would be a great addition to my DC in PC mod.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

It's truely a shame that the ZIP drive never came out for the DC. For one, games with funky features that require a hard drive to pull off like the XBOX's Blinx series, might then be possible.

Secondly, Linux would be a heck of a lot more usable on the DC. We'd even have a swap drive!

Eventually there would come a way to code homebrew stuff that could take advantage of the hard drive etc.

It would be a long road, but for a hobbyist, that would be an exciting road. I should know, I grew up hacking the hell out of my Atari 8-bits. :)
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

pyro, you think this is a challenge? this is a problem a real console hardware company could work a few months on perfecting, never mind the software implementation

if you want a challenge, go build some internal storage out of a few VMU's into the DC or something, that could keep you busy for a week, or try OCing it
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

might as well just use the money on CDR's which will work out Cheaper :P...

100CDR's can be bought for ?10 - ?12.... this gives you about 70GB of space :P
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

:roll: It's quite obviously not storage space he is seeking.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I have indicated in another topic that I am going to overclock my DC for my PC in DC mod. Except for cooling, I don't think that it will prove to be a challenge at all.

Building the dc-hdd interface is not as much as a challenge as compared to designing it. You just have to be very careful as to which traces go where. You could build one without knowing anything about how it works. Though, I will learn at least to some extent of the logic behind the interface before I attempt it.

Improving it would very very VERY hard.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Cooling was the main issue when i was fitting my DC for the PC. the problem is that there is no room for any sort of cooling. overclocking it in addition to that pretty much garuntees you will not be able to fit it into a single drive bay.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I am putting it in 2 bays since I have 4 of them.
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

Alexvrb wrote::roll: It's quite obviously not storage space he is seeking.
ok, I just read Dreamcast Hard Drive and thought he wanted a Hard Drive to store games on.