Poll for those who are over 18 and live with there parents.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Do or did you parents make you pay rent?

I am between 18 and 21 and do have to pay rent.
5%
I am 21 or over and do have to pay rent.
15%
I am between 18 and 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent
27%
I am over 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent.
22%
I live on my own so this does not apply to me.
13%
I am under 18 and DO NOT pay rent.
15%
I am under 18 and do have to pay rent.
4%

Total votes: 55
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

arrowhead wrote:I am 23 and I dont pay rent. The deal was I dont have to pay for anything as long as I was getting a degree from a institute of higher learning.
same here, although I do cover my own auto and medical

i think it's totally fair for parents to charge rent to adult children. I'll be graduating college this next semester, time to move on! :) I'm thankful my parents let me stick around so I could focus on college.
Last edited by impetus on Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Master Higgins wrote:
I'm 19 and I don't pay rent, and I'll never charge my kids rent either. It's complete BS to make the ones you love pay to live with you.
I think anglo saxon and latin families there is a big schism on that, I've noticed that lots of hispanics and itlaians live in homes with their extended families, my grandma lives with my mom and two of my aunts live together. When I was growing up there was always somebody staying with us, some cousin, where as anglosaxon people it's like "I want my privacy get the hell out." Send their parent's to nursing homes and their kids out on their own. I might be wrong in that observation.
no, you're right.

Im living in a college dorm 1200 miles from home, and my parents are paying 100% of it. If I lived at home, and had a job I would try as much as I can to pay for my own food, or use my own money to buy things to replace what I eat or make up for not paying rent, or at least do housework. I'd feel guilty mooching for no reason.

That being said, since im not living at home, I actually got my mom to let a friend stay in my room. She is holding down three jobs and going to a local community college, and my mom sees that she is hard working so only asks her to help around the house.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Sanchez wrote:*chuckles and waits for the kids to grow up*

I'm 27, lived in an apartment / house since I was 20, and if you're whining about 1/8th-1/4th of your income going towards a room, much less food, water, bills, etc... Welcome to the real world.
I've been on my own since I was 19. And until you are living on your own, shut the fuck up and do what your benefactors tell you to do. Regardless of age. Some of you whine too much.
No signature.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

When I used to live with my parents after I turned 18, I think they wouldn't have had the nerve to ask me to pay rent, since I was a pretty valuable asset. I did a lot of maintenance work around the house, that would have cost hundreds to pay someone else to do it. I did tech support from hooking up a home cinema, to building a PC, I sometimes cooked, did the dishes, etc. So in the end, they would have had to pay ME instead of asking for rent money. :D
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

toastman wrote:I've been on my own since I was 19.
toastman wrote:Sometimes problems take care of themselves.
comedy gold.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

coke wrote:No, Our parents are doing whats right to keep food coming in the house and making sure your fudging internet is active. Would you like it if you had a roomate and you were paying all the bills, bringing food into the house, and giving you all your needs? hmmm. Money doesn't grow on trees, I'm sure you've heard it once or twice. If your parents have money coming out their ass everyday (rich) become a lazy fudge and make them buy everything for you, and don't move out to your 40, I would.
Thats funny.

Now let me ask a question, how many of you are from southern california? I tried to move out. I tried to move out with my girlfriend and my brother and we still couldnt afford it. My brother is a USC graduate with a steady teaching job, and my girlfriend just started teaching as well and we cant afford to live together. I dont know what shitholes you guys live in, but here we need to be able to prove we make 3x our rent before they will sign the lease with us. And this is for a 2 bed 1 bath apartment. 1450 a month plus utilities. I guess I could move into a slumfilled crackhouse, but that wouldnt be good for learning. All I know is I made a major sacrifice by withdrawing from a private university (USC like my bro) so my parents wouldnt go into a huge debt. It is almost 30k a year to go to USC so I saved them at least 120 thousand dollars by going to a cal state school instead of USC. So, that being said I think it is fine if I stay here rent free until I finish my degree, I feel no guilt. Besides like I said, since I was a young child that was the deal. If that wasnt the deal I would have played pro ball with the diamondbacks and left home at 18, we all make decisions good or bad. BTW "coke", if that rant was for me, my parents are far from rich, matter of fact we are quite lower middle class, we just dont feel sorry for ourselves.

And higgins is right about white people being mostly unnattached to their families and kick them out as soon as possible. I thank god Im Italian.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

arrowhead wrote: And higgins is right about white people being mostly unnattached to their families and kick them out as soon as possible. I thank god Im Italian.
Indeed, me too :D

Theres a saying in my family: You don't move out until you're married :lol: Hell when my cousin got married a few years ago, he and his wife still lived at his parents house for a few months until their house was finished.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I moved back here from plymouth in july. Im staying with the folks till after xmas, Then im moving to london :D
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'm 18, but im still in high school, so yeah
They'll pay for room and board at college, but unlike my sister, I will be going out on my own ASAP
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Hey Arrowhead, I'm a little further up the coast in Cali. Thank god the Army has to give active duty guys a place to stay. A friggin' 2-bedroom apt up here is 850 bucks a month, and this is the cheapest place in town. Hell, I'm single and pulling in almost 1300 a month after taxes, and still at least 50 - 60 % of my wages are going towards food, etc.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm 18 and I don't have to pay rent. I have to pay for everything else though, including helping with food and such. I am going away to school, so when I am home on breaks they'll take care of it for me. I'll have to pay rent when I graduate and live at home until I find a job and can move out.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Damn, it sucks to be all of you guys, you must have been real a-holes to make your parents hate you like that. I am 23 and I dont pay rent. The deal was I dont have to pay for anything as long as I was getting a degree from a institute of higher learning.
Hmm... Not really.

I only have to pay anything if I'm actually working. Since I don't have a job while I'm studying (mostly because I'd rather focus on that), I don't have to pay anything during term time. If I am working, I contribute toward household expenses. That's only fair.

Especially when you consider that they're also paying all of my university fees, on the condition that I actually pay them back. We get a 25% discount by paying up front, and they aren't going to charge me any interest on it either, so I have to pay significantly less than I otherwise would if I took a loan from the government. All I have to do is pay them back. Which I intend to do as soon as possible, because otherwise they might not be able to afford to do the same for my youngest brother, who finishes high school at the end of next year.

My younger-but-not-youngest brother, on the other hand, is a different story. He finished high school last year, and has spent the last year doing nothing. He's never been the academic type, so he didn't even have remotely close to the grades required to get into further education, even if he were eligible (he didn't take enough of the right classes) and if he wanted to, which he doesn't. He's spent the last year basically mooching off my parents, and refusing to even look for a job.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

I'm 18 and pay $250 a month. It really sucks ass but oh well..
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

BlackAura wrote:
Damn, it sucks to be all of you guys, you must have been real a-holes to make your parents hate you like that. I am 23 and I dont pay rent. The deal was I dont have to pay for anything as long as I was getting a degree from a institute of higher learning.
Hmm... Not really.

I only have to pay anything if I'm actually working. Since I don't have a job while I'm studying (mostly because I'd rather focus on that), I don't have to pay anything during term time. If I am working, I contribute toward household expenses. That's only fair.

Especially when you consider that they're also paying all of my university fees, on the condition that I actually pay them back. We get a 25% discount by paying up front, and they aren't going to charge me any interest on it either, so I have to pay significantly less than I otherwise would if I took a loan from the government. All I have to do is pay them back. Which I intend to do as soon as possible, because otherwise they might not be able to afford to do the same for my youngest brother, who finishes high school at the end of next year.

My younger-but-not-youngest brother, on the other hand, is a different story. He finished high school last year, and has spent the last year doing nothing. He's never been the academic type, so he didn't even have remotely close to the grades required to get into further education, even if he were eligible (he didn't take enough of the right classes) and if he wanted to, which he doesn't. He's spent the last year basically mooching off my parents, and refusing to even look for a job.
The whole post about your parents hating you was a joke, sorry if no one got my sarcasm.
fatheadpi wrote:
Hey Arrowhead, I'm a little further up the coast in Cali. Thank god the Army has to give active duty guys a place to stay. A friggin' 2-bedroom apt up here is 850 bucks a month, and this is the cheapest place in town. Hell, I'm single and pulling in almost 1300 a month after taxes, and still at least 50 - 60 % of my wages are going towards food, etc.
Dang, where up north do you live? I love norcal, like north of bishop, and san luis obispo, if it is only that much a month I might move after I get my degree. I was going to move into a 1bed crapbox with my brother and I was going to live on a pull out couch here in socal and the lowest rent in a non ghetto area was 1100 just for rent not including trash and electricity. Southern Cali suburb apartment rent amounts are insane.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Man I would hate to pay for my degree up front. 30K a year? man that must be tough. I'm glad the government pays for your learning here if you want them too, no matter how poor or rich or how smart or stupid. All you do is pay them back through tax when your earning more than $36,000 a year. If you leave the country to work, you don't have to pay them back, if you die no one has to take on your dept. I don't know why so many australians complain about our payment system, its perfect, I couldn't ask for anything better.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Prophet][ wrote:Man I would hate to pay for my degree up front. 30K a year? man that must be tough. I'm glad the government pays for your learning here if you want them too, no matter how poor or rich or how smart or stupid. All you do is pay them back through tax when your earning more than $36,000 a year. If you leave the country to work, you don't have to pay them back, if you die no one has to take on your dept. I don't know why so many australians complain about our payment system, its perfect, I couldn't ask for anything better.
Wow, that is pretty sweet.
No signature.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i'm 21, work full time and pay ?200 a month to my parents... i get paid decent money so can't complain.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I think anglo saxon and latin families there is a big schism on that, I've noticed that lots of hispanics and itlaians live in homes with their extended families, my grandma lives with my mom and two of my aunts live together. When I was growing up there was always somebody staying with us, some cousin, where as anglosaxon people it's like "I want my privacy get the hell out." Send their parent's to nursing homes and their kids out on their own. I might be wrong in that observation.
Yes, your description is somewhat accurate. Far more western european families have fewer people living with them and pitch out the older folks. However, REALLY a lot of them also care for their elderly parents. The number that get thrown into nursing homes as soon as they have difficulty on their own is exaggerated by the media.

I'm 21 and pay no rent, but if I ever stop being a full-time student, I have to pay rent and start paying for my car insurance as well.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I'm 27, and currently don't pay rent. I imagine that once I finish college, I'll have to pay rent again. When I was living at home and not going to school, I paid about $100 a month. I had my own place for a while, and had no trouble making ends meet but I hated my job, which was about all I was qualified for at the time. My mom offered to take me in so I could go back to school. I got my Associate's Degree, then moved in with my dad and am currently working on my Bachelor's in English. After that, I'll probably try to get a better job and find my own place or go back to school again for a Masters in something. With what I get paid now I can basically afford my car payment and my coffee addiction and stuff like that, and my dad seems cool with me not paying rent as long as I don't destroy his house or anything.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

I am 20, about to be 21 and live with my dad. He doesn't make me pay rent, but I pay my insurance, both car and health, and help with the bills. It is the least that I can do seeing as how I am still lving under his roof. My job doesn't pay a lot, so thankfully I am not out on my own, otherwise I would be screwed.