New DC Accessories! (well, not quite yet, but possibly soon)

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

aisupikku wrote:...az_bont; Perhaps their "360 Degree Rotating D-pad" style would be almost as good as a right-hand side analogue stick for ABXY FPS movement? Also; This sort of special FPS DC controller could coincide well with a good turnout from the Id Software effort...
I would be just as happy with something like that. In fact, as the A/B/X/Y method of control is very defined by having only four digital buttons, something more along the lines of a d-pad might be more appropriate.

There must be a lot more people interested in new third-party Dreamcast peripherals than NES, SNES and Mega Drive ones. We Dreamcasters are, by far, the most obsessed of all console fanboys. Play Messiah would be mad to miss out on this golden opportunity.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

If they produced a Controller based on the Megadrive 6-button controller for the DC, That would be pretty sweet. :D
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

BBA ?nuff said, I can?t think of any other acessorie that I would want maybe more pad adapters in the likes of TC+5 3in1.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

well observing there site it's clear they ain't even looking at the dreamcast they barely getting on the genesis it would be amazing if they start for dreamcast but let's start with small patato's and the most logical thing to dream about is there trademark wireless controllers that they are making for almost every (classic)console...
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

This is the Snes pad, the dpad looks very weird.

The problem with the DC is that the VMU plugs into the pad, unless they make an adapter for connecting the vmu in the same way TotalControl does.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Is it not a "rocker Pad" Like the Neo Geo CD pads?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

quzar wrote:i had never realized it, but if it were possible to emulate the xbox on the DC, there would be mappings availible for all the buttons :o
Um...huh? I still count a shortage. Right analog stick, back (aka "select"), and the black/white buttons would all be without equivalents. The Xbox controller does look remarkably like an evolved DC pad, though ;)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
quzar wrote:i had never realized it, but if it were possible to emulate the xbox on the DC, there would be mappings availible for all the buttons :o
Um...huh? I still count a shortage. Right analog stick, back (aka "select"), and the black/white buttons would all be without equivalents. The Xbox controller does look remarkably like an evolved DC pad, though ;)
DC has the capability to have : D pad, 2 analog sticks, 2 analog triggers and 7 buttons. i guess there is one button missing =( i forgot about the select button, but black+white could be c+z.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The Dreamcast has support for controllers with 2 d-pads, 2 analog sticks, 2 analog triggers and 8 buttons (start, a, b, c, d, x, y, z). I got this info when taking a look at some ip.bin stuff, like the IPBIN4WIN program.

The problem is that Sega probably thought that it would be too expensive to make full-featured controllers, or they decided to make the controller as cheap as possible, or both. I'm pretty sure that they planned to release a better controller if the Dreamcast were successful enough.

One thing I'd like to know is if the chip in the DC controller supports all the planned features or only the ones present in the original controllers. Maybe it would be possible to mod the original controllers to add the extra buttons or the second analog stick.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I WIN!!!
PlayMessiah wrote:Hello Ian,

Thanks for the info. It is great to see others continuing to support the
systems of yesterday. We would definitely like to get into the Dreamcast
market, but we need to move slowly. It has taken a very sizable investment
to develop new wireless controllers for NES/SNES. If we can break even you
can bet we will be supporting Dreamcast. It is one of my favorite systems.

Let's keep in touch.

Brad Strahle
Messiah Entertainment, Inc.
Phone: 213.596.6963
Fax: 213.402.8446
Email:bstrahle@playmessiah.com
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

WINNAR!

Great news :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Third-party BBA's. I'd buy one. I think a lot of people would. Yu don't see many on e-bay, and you don't see any that don't sell. If you kicked out a lot of 1,000 for 40 - 50 bucks a piece, I bet you could get your money back.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

^ my thoughts exactly - price em at $30 and watch them fly of the shelves
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

fatheadpi wrote:Third-party BBA's. I'd buy one.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

impetus wrote:^ my thoughts exactly - price em at $30 and watch them fly of the shelves
The only limiting factor is: how much would they cost to develop? There are two factors in determining the break-even point with a product: the production cost, and the initial development cost. And since something like this wouldn't have as wide a customer base as, say, a PS2 accessory...you need to have a higher price-point so that you can recoup that initial investment with fewer sales.

That's not saying a BBA would be impractical...and it is one of the things I talked about in my letter as being a sought-after product. But I wouldn't expect to see one show up for less than $50 or so, at least.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

DaMadFiddler wrote: But I wouldn't expect to see one show up for less than $50 or so, at least.
Thats still a 100 times better than paying ?80 for a BBA on Ebay :D, I deffo think they'd get a return on some BBA's, and apart from a Decent 6-button pad for SF etc, would there be anything else anyone would want for DC?

Altho there is Zero Fishing rods and Light guns in the UK, Or maybe some NES/SNES pads for emulators )()(
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I would imagine that a BBA would be more along the lines of computer hardware than a game accessory (to develop and manufacture)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the BBA's BBA hardware is the same as a very common PC ethernet card chip.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

What about an adaptor for various different console's controllers? It would be pretty much limited to us lot, but would be a hell of a lot cheaper to make than a BBA. Make it support NES, SNES, Mega Drive and maybe a few others and they'd sell fast.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
nevets934
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by nevets934 »

if they made bba's i would buy one