Is the genesis really that hard to emulate?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Oz »

Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Anyway, just wait until the Saturn comes out. It will blow the SNES away.

/me scratches head.... and takes another drink.
Philbert
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Philbert »

Interesting that the Genesis 3 can't use Sega CD. I spend a lot of time chatting with the employees at a Game Stop near me. Recently the manager was talking about the genesis 3. When I told him I'd never heard of it he showed me the used one they had for sale. I figured with the size of it (prolly the smallest console out) none of the accessories like 32X or Sega CD would work with it. He told me that most of them do work with it.
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

Veggita2099 wrote: I think the SNES is better then the Genesis. A Good way to compare them is play the Rom of Spider man Xmen vs Arcane. On the SNES version there is better back grounds, more realistic sound effects, and more to it. On Sega Gambits Level music is the same as Wolverenes level music. On SNES there was a clown type music on Wolv's level.

All games that I played on both systems seemed all around better on the SNES then Genesis. And compare the later games made for both systems. While the SNES had games such as Donkey Kong Country 1 2 and 3 Sega has games like Sonic 3D Blast and Vector Man series. The DC series graphics and sound wise blows away any game made on the Sega Genesis, or even the Sega 32X.
yeah so u judge a systym on one game

mk2 is far superior on snes then on saturn does that make snes more powerful then saturn??

besides what was the difference between megadrive and genesis??I have a megadrive I think it is more powerful then genesis though
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
AbsoluteXero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AbsoluteXero »

everything is hard to emulate. you think some guy just pulled an atari emulator out of his ass? some of you people take this shit for granted. next time you people download an emulator, weather you like it or not, i suggest you e-mail the author, thanking him, and congragulating him on a job well done.
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

.........o....k.......... :?
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

The reason the Saturn and PSX versions of Mortal Kombat sucked when compared to the cartridge (SNES and Genesis) versions is because of the limited ram/access time on the new cd systems. When you plug a cartridge directly into the board, it's going to have no problem retrieving information... but a CD based system must anticipate what needs to be loaded into the ram and what must be loaded later. This is why it took forever to do Shang Tsung's transformations...

P.S. The MegaDrive is the Euro and Jap version of the Genesis, no?
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

bkcomic wrote: This is why it took forever to do Shang Tsung's transformations...

P.S. The MegaDrive is the Euro and Jap version of the Genesis, no?
Hahaha! I played a match in that game it tooked 10 seconds for Shang Tsung to morph into Sub-Zero. Its pretty dumb.

Yeah, Mega Drive is the Euro and Jap version of the genesis. Mega Drive sounds like a racing game...ha.
Miles McCloud
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Miles McCloud »

I have a Model 3 and it runs a Game Genie fine. All the games I have run with Sound, which actually sounds a but better then compared to my Model 2. My 32X does *not* work with it though, there is no place to plug the A/V in cable. I don't have a Sega CD so I can't say if it works or not.
42stimpy42
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

moving back a few posts......

Post by 42stimpy42 »

Someone (can't recall who) said, "Wow. I always thought a console more powerful came out later. Thats probably the only time that an inferior console came out later."

Actually, if you stop and look at history, it happens all the time. Playstation came out 2 weeks *after* Saturn. Also, PS2 came out *after* Dreamcast (by a couple of years, if I remember correctly).

Also (here's an odd one for ya) Atari's 7800 came out after the 5200 (and after both the NES, and the Master System, for that matter).

Keep in mind -- it has less to do with what generation a system is part of, and more to do with marketing, and development. (Just think how huge Sega would be right now if they'd managed to sucker Square into an exclusive deal, rather than Sony.)
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

moving back a few posts......

Post by pavelbure »

42stimpy42 wrote: Also (here's an odd one for ya) Atari's 7800 came out after the 5200 (and after both the NES, and the Master System, for that matter).

Keep in mind -- it has less to do with what generation a system is part of, and more to do with marketing, and development. (Just think how huge Sega would be right now if they'd managed to sucker Square into an exclusive deal, rather than Sony.)
yeah, the 5200 rocked, and square with final fantasy was the main reason i choose sony over nintendo and saturn. i eventually ended up getting a nintendo anyways, but not until later.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I would think that the SNES would be more difficult to emulate. The genesis has a faster/more powerful CPU, but the SNES was a far more complex machine, and most of it's games were very fussy about the machine being exactly the same as a real SNES.

It's the same between the SMS/NES. The SMS is more powerful, but easier to emulate. I've tried doing both: I got a SMS emulator working on 75% of my games, with full sound and graphics, in just 5 days, but a NES emulator working on 1% of games, with no sound and corrupted graphics, took over three weeks, and was promptly abandoned.

Nintendo seem to make complex machines from a lot of cheaper components, where Sega make simpler machines, usually from well-known, off-the-shelf components.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

The SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2 is better than the Genesis.
The SNES is more true to the arcade (with a blood code), while the genesis version has a reduced pallete, character animations, and crappy sound effects.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

hey Miles McCloud how can your genesis 3 work with the game genie? version 3 is supposedly missing the z80 processor which keeps it from working with the game genie, 32x, and games like Virtua Racing. I actually bought a genesis 3 when it was rereleased and it wouldn't work with my game genie! can you give a model number/serial number so that I can do some more research into this? thanks if you do :)
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

anyway, how comes **most** Genesis Emulator's (PC, DC or whatever...) don't run, at all, Virtua Racing? Is there some sort of special chipset contained within the cart that, although the cart has been dumped, will not allow an emu to run this without the emu 'emulating' this chipset?

Any ideas, anyone?? :o
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

The reason Virtua Racing will not work on emulators is that it contains special CPUs inside the cart (explains the size). As far as I know it contains its own SH2 processor plus some other stuff as well.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

I don't like to make short posts like this, but from what I can remember, it contained either a Hitachi SH-1 or another proprietary DSP. I can't make any claims for sure though...