a new version of dcplaya?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hrb2k3 »

hey, thanx for the keys. i will try those out.

nakamichi: i'll try to make a nrg or cdi, but it'll have to be tomorrow cause my bro is hogging the pc. maybe someone else can make selfboot images. (oh yeah, i remember that song...lol)

i've gotten it to play .avi's, .a couple of .mpg's, and a .wmv, but only the sound played on the wmv and not the video, but pretty cool since it is a microsoft movie file.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yeah, I threw a couple of higher res, higher bitrate videos at it to see what it would do. It played them, but it couldn't keep up by a long shot. If they aren't already turned off by default, the filtering in ffmpeg should be made optional so I can turn everything off. Also, is it supposed to leave the browser and everything up while the video is running? I mean I can close it myself, but I figure it'd be easier if it closed/opened them automatically when you start/stop videos. Or assign that function to a trigger or something.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

What do you type on the command line for DC tool to make it run with windows so I can browse my drive? Ive set up the network for the shoutcast and its workign a treat, I just want to try the full networking support.

Cheers
Q
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

Alexvrb wrote:Yeah, I threw a couple of higher res, higher bitrate videos at it to see what it would do. It played them, but it couldn't keep up by a long shot. If they aren't already turned off by default, the filtering in ffmpeg should be made optional so I can turn everything off. Also, is it supposed to leave the browser and everything up while the video is running? I mean I can close it myself, but I figure it'd be easier if it closed/opened them automatically when you start/stop videos. Or assign that function to a trigger or something.
What filtering are you talking about ? There's not filtering performed in the ffmpeg plugin. As for the slowness, unfortunatly at the moment, it's just like that, try divx with lower resolution and bitrate.

I would be interested to compare performance with dcdivx and dcmplay, if some of you have used them, what kind of resolution and bitrate were you able to use with these players ?

About the browser not hiding automatically, that's on my todo list for the final release.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

any help with the dctool stuff?
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

/me is a happier man

to the man who created this :kiss)
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

ehrm i realized that i need a cdi image to use it.... :roll:
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

any idea when an sbi will be available? i was all ready to burn myself a cd full of dc suff and would rather wait till an sbi of this is made.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

i found a bug in the mp3 playback. seems as if an mp3 is encoded with mono sound, it sounds distorted after about 8 seconds of play. you know, garbled sounding. also if an mp3 has a lower khz than 44khz,...... say 32khz...... the playback is really slooooowww. maybe you can look into that.

as far as avi resolutions. i found 266x216, 1000kb/s divx codec 5.11,..... lame mp3 codec, mono 22.5khz, 128 bitrate....well i can recall the sound settings, but this is what i use to encode stuff for dcmplay test 1 and it works great and in sync.

a quick suggestion to add, you know when you hide the song browser, and it also hides the song browser on the vmu..? could you make it so that it doesnt hide the song browser on the vmu.? that way the tv screen could be clear, but we could still browse the cd from the vmu gui.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

well, i managed to make my own sbi of the new dcplaya and it worked fine.

i only found one tiny bug. the onscreen vis kinda lags a bit occasionally whereas the previous version would run fullspeed during the whole time dcplaya was running.

also, how in the world do i save the settings file it asks for when dcplaya first runs? i can never get it to save a file.
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

hrb2k3 wrote:i found a bug in the mp3 playback. seems as if an mp3 is encoded with mono sound, it sounds distorted after about 8 seconds of play. you know, garbled sounding. also if an mp3 has a lower khz than 44khz,...... say 32khz...... the playback is really slooooowww. maybe you can look into that.
Ouch, that scares me. I though the mp3 playback was working fine for all configuration, especially since it can handle VBR now. Where are you reading your mp3 from ? If this is from your PC, then is it possible that there is a problem here, because the network plugin has a bug , it doesn't read some files properly. I'll put an updated net plugin on sourceforge later on ... Also , can you check that the song_info window report correctly the settings of your mp3 encoding ?
as far as avi resolutions. i found 266x216, 1000kb/s divx codec 5.11,..... lame mp3 codec, mono 22.5khz, 128 bitrate....well i can recall the sound settings, but this is what i use to encode stuff for dcmplay test 1 and it works great and in sync.
Ok thanks. With dcplaya you should be able to have slightly higher resolution, however maybe with a lower bitrate. For example 304x226 in 700kb/s.
a quick suggestion to add, you know when you hide the song browser, and it also hides the song browser on the vmu..? could you make it so that it doesnt hide the song browser on the vmu.? that way the tv screen could be clear, but we could still browse the cd from the vmu gui.
This is a good idea. I'll see if this can be done easily.
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

Vchat20 wrote: i only found one tiny bug. the onscreen vis kinda lags a bit occasionally whereas the previous version would run fullspeed during the whole time dcplaya was running.
Lol, you are nitpicking, arent you :) Ok, I am too, so yeah I also noticed that. It's not really that dcplaya has become slower, but the way various task are switched has changed since we switched to kos 1.3, and the visual thread sometimes does not get as much CPU time as it needs.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

Vchat20: go into the vmu menu and select save. a prompt will come up telling you if you want to save to the vmu. press A to save it. make sure you use an official sega VMU and not a 3rd party mem card cause KOS doesnt support 3rd party cards.

zigziggy: i'm playing the files from a cd and i dont have bba or lan. and the info is correct on the song_info.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

hrb2k3 wrote:zigziggy: i'm playing the files from a cd and i dont have bba or lan. and the info is correct on the song_info.
So there is a real bug. Do you have the same problem if the mp3 track is actually included into an avi ?
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

um, not sure. its a stand-alone .mp3 track and theres no need to put it in an avi. let me see if i have any .avi's with mono mp3 tracks.........
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

From the first releases of this player you could already see how much potential it has. The whole program was build to have even greater functions than "only" audio playback. Now we are seeing what it can really do. My compliments, this is becoming the XBox Media Center for the Dreamcast. You can already compare it with those DVD players with an ethernet connection. A shame the those BBA adapters are still expensive.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

yeah. its rediculous. for example, i just found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW . look at the BIN. :o
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

anyone got a link for dctool 1.04 windows exe?
Genezis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Genezis »

Hey, so this version have subtitle support? srt? or am i wrong?
?Sega Fanatico!
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

any plans to add modem support in the future? while it may not work well, ive been able to connect at 50kbit with the dc which is more than plenty for a lot of 24k streams.