Chankast command line

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Vorrtexx »

I tested your port of Jump N' Bump with it and it seemed to run well.
I posted a screenshot of it at dcemu.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

So framebuffer games do work properly. Hmm... I wonder why none of the SDL-based stuff works?
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Yeah, unless it has to do with the opcode not implemented that garrofi talked about.
Alice also works perfectly too, if a little too fast, for me anyway.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Until now, I'd assumed that it just didn't emulate the framebuffer. The only homebrew programs anyone had managed to get working were the ones that used the Dreamcast's 3D hardware, but that's obviously not the case.

If JnB works, chances are nxDoom and / or nxQuake will work too. The three share almost the exact same video code, and only nxDoom does anything at all with the sound hardware. If it can handle (or ignore - does it have sound yet?) what commercial games throw at it, it can certainly handle the simple sound system in nxDoom.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

So framebuffer games do work properly
damn, now im really disapointed i cant get the emu to work.
hopefully it will be fixed in the next version.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Hmm it seems that a little more investigation was needed before dismissal of its homebrew capabilities.

Got to take my hat off to vorrtexx for some great screenshots :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

Hmm it seems that a little more investigation was needed before dismissal of its homebrew capabilities.
if it was aimed at me wraggster you should read my old posts.
this way you will notice that i said according to the first reports it had very limited support for homebrews, and i would have been happy to be wrong so people can talk about homebrews instead of "backups".

Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

well the majority of homebrew still doesn't work.
although sometimes it appears it's actually running, there is no actual display. and I think all? SDL stuff just doesn't work. It will display this black mouse cursor in the top left of the screen and just stop running then. And as most people use SDL for their development, it rules out a lot of homebrew still running on it.
There are some great games that still run on it though. Alice, DCastle and Inhabitants for example.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

so the framebuffer was not the reason of the incompatibility with sdl homebrews?
apps/games without pvr but with direct drawing to the framebuffer without using sdl should work so?
thats the only thing i would be interested to know if i could get the emu to work and would be able to use chanka to test my code.

also i noticed "dreamkey 3" was mentionned in the list of homebrews tested with chanka, although its not a homebrew.

Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

well I tested BlackAura's Jump N' Bump and it worked fine, and he said it used the framebuffer.
But I tested nxDoom and nxQuake also, and had no luck with them.

I dunno if Alice uses SDL for rendering, I think it uses the PVR to do its 2d gfx.
And I'm not sure about Inhabitants.
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

Is there any way to make ELF file working in Chanka ?
just compile our file then test it in Chanka, it would save many time for all DC developer :)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

WRAGGSTER wrote:Hmm it seems that a little more investigation was needed before dismissal of its homebrew capabilities.
Yeah, but it's damn laughable compared to its compatibility when it comes to commercial games!

Excuse me, but it's absolutly not designed to help the devvers in any way I think... :x

Maybe our compatibility list over at http://www.dcemu.co.uk and the whole discussion about its release opens the eyes of the Chanka devvers in which way their work should be improved. Otherwise this release will be pretty pointless for the scene :?

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

speud wrote:also i noticed "dreamkey 3" was mentionned in the list of homebrews tested with chanka, although its not a homebrew.
Doesn't matter if homebrew or not. Everything that's legal can be tested. Bleem!cast is sth that I'd not consider as 'homebrew' too though it can't be loaded with the current release of Chanka, but maybe with the next version as one of the author announced.
There are MP3 and VCD player available at Lik-Sang that could be tested too as they are released as normal CDs...

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Stef.D wrote:Is there any way to make ELF file working in Chanka ?
just compile our file then test it in Chanka, it would save many time for all DC developer :)
you can convert the elf to a bin file, rename it to 1st_read.bin, run mkisofs on the 1st_read.bin file to create an iso file, and load that iso file with Chanka then.
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

Vorrtexx wrote:
you can convert the elf to a bin file, rename it to 1st_read.bin, run mkisofs on the 1st_read.bin file to create an iso file, and load that iso file with Chanka then.
I just want to avoid to convert the file with mkisofs to gain sometime ;)
you said, rename elf fiel in 1st_read.bin, if chanka is able to run .bin file, that mean we can run directly elf file ... i already tried in others DC emu and it didn't worked since elf file has a header.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Stef.D wrote:
Vorrtexx wrote:
you said, rename elf fiel in 1st_read.bin, if chanka is able to run .bin file, that mean we can run directly elf file ... i already tried in others DC emu and it didn't worked since elf file has a header.
Chanka cannot run .BIN files, only .ISOs. To create a working ISO, you must first convert the ELF to a BIN, then run it through mkisofs.

It would be fairly simple to create a simple batch file that could do it in one.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

az_bont wrote:Chanka cannot run .BIN files
garrofi wrote:You can use -file:filename.bin
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:
az_bont wrote:Chanka cannot run .BIN files
garrofi wrote:You can use -file:filename.bin
Ah, I was going by Vorrtexx's post :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

yes, Bin files will also work.
but you will need to use ISO if there are files other than the Bin/romdisk ;)
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Stef.D wrote:
Vorrtexx wrote:

Well when you are compiling your program, you can just add an extra line or so to the Makefile that will convert the ELF to BIN for you. And if you have no external files, Chanka can run the standalone BIN file for you. The ISO is only needed if you have files other than the main executable.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my earlier post :)