SNES emu in the works

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Warmachine »

Thanks Scherzo. I was planning to maybe add more people to it like link and maybe metriod prime so it would be almost like the "greatest ones". I will see but I like this one a lot. I surprised I did so good on it. :D :D
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

hey bro I hope you can do it, and your name of the emu is cool has a ring, super famicast. well I hope you can do it and I hope it will be cool, I am glad it will be opn sourced, that is thoughtful of you! look forward to seeing it when you relase it :)
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

scherzo wrote:Thanks for all the positive feedback. I consider artwork help as well. Any self-respecting emu need at least a cool splash screen, right? I've already thought about making SFCast skinnable but that's a little down the line.
You give me a image size and a format, and I'll see what I can do.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

DEV UPDATE: Controllers are working now. I tested players 1 and 2 and will test 3 and 4 soon. What's a good 4 player+ game to test it with? One of the Bombermans perhaps?
NBA Jam was 4 player, unless I'm mistaken.

oh btw, good luck with this emulator. Snes is something I'm looking for to. I loved Donkey Kong Country 1 :mrgreen:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
kyslug
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

super famicast

Post by kyslug »

:p Oh boy! This thing has the potential to be great. I too always wondered why zip support was never incorporated into the dsnes emu so I certainly hope that perhaps it can in fact be worked into this one. Since this emu will be built on the latest snes9x build, we'll be able to play Star Ocean with it's shiny new english patch as well, hopefully. Anyways, I bid you good luck, scherzo and the idea to begin a new (open-source) snes emu is nothing short of fantastic on your behalf. :)
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

Thank You a Lot!
This is gonna own. I hope Javex makes another sweet cd cover for this SNES emu.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah Great stuff. I have faith you will get it fullspeed. If i can offer any help to you on any thing just pm me.

Good luck.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If the ROM loader is using zlib correctly, there should be no memory issue. All you need to do is allocate the memory for the unzipped ROM, then read small chunks off the disc and decompress them one at a time.

Genesis Plus can load zipped ROMs of 4MB (the largest the Genesis supports without using additional hardware that Genesis Plus doesn't support anyway) without a problem on the Dreamcast, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be any difference with Snes9x.

Excellent. I'm willing to lend a hand, if you need it.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Secret of Mana, and I thinks its sequal was 3 player if that helps. Wow what such good times, 2 emus anounced in i week. Hey BlackAura have you continued work on Gen Plus since the last release out of curoisity?
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

scherzo?
your nick isn't very promising (at least in italian). Is this true?

[scherzo means JOKE in italian]
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

scherzo?

Hmmm, interesting.....:bart:
Hopefully it's just a nickname and nothing more
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Scherzo - Yes, that's what I meant when I was talking about screenshots. That is a very nice little feature, and everyone seems to have been impressed with that option.

Also, as far as the zip file issue goes, that has been discussed numerous times when people talk about DreamSNES. According to most of the devvers that have chimed in on the subject, the only reason zip files aren't supported in DreamSNES is because the dev team didn't feel like supporting it. Just about everyone that chimed in on the subject seemed to think it was entirely possible to include zip support.

The bomberman games are pretty decent games to test 4-player support. Also, if you try a board game (like Clue or Monopoly), all 4 controllers should control every player, so they should be easy games to test all 4 controllers with.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

karsten wrote:scherzo?

Yes, I am aware that my nick means joke in Italian. That doesn't mean I'm joking abou this emu though. A scherzo is also a type of classical music piece and I just really like classical music. I gave myself this nick back in the days of playing Quake 2 online and getting ranked on The Champions League for Quake. MEMORIES! *sigh*

Now if my name was "Falso", meaning fake or false, then I'd be suspicious. :D

Zips seem to be working fine as of yet. However, I tried loading Street Fighter Alpha 2 to see the builtin S-DD1 decompression in action but the emu crashed. Something to look into later on.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

scherzo wrote:
karsten wrote:scherzo?

Yes, I am aware that my nick means joke in Italian. That doesn't mean I'm joking abou this emu though. A scherzo is also a type of classical music piece and I just really like classical music. I gave myself this nick back in the days of playing Quake 2 online and getting ranked on The Champions League for Quake. MEMORIES! *sigh*

Now if my name was "Falso", meaning fake or false, then I'd be suspicious. :D

Zips seem to be working fine as of yet. However, I tried loading Street Fighter Alpha 2 to see the builtin S-DD1 decompression in action but the emu crashed. Something to look into later on.
Ok, i'll try to have faith :wink:
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

oh, by the way, i have a couple of suggestion that would make the emu playable since the very first releases (and that dreamsnes doesn't obviously have ;) ):

manually adjustable frameskip
" " Sound frequency
trasparency on-off
mode 7 on-off

a light GUI is welcome (no floating pumpkins and mp3)

and, something has botered me for a long time, is it possible to fake sound to gain in speed? :?:
the dc has a wavetable to do it?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Oh don't worry. It is already fast enough to be considered playable. The exceptions are games that have special hardware that require extra emulation, like Mario Kart, or lots of mode7 and transparency effects. I have auto frameskip enabled and the emulation actually seems to be full speed, just choppy. Frame rate ranges from 5 fps to 30 depending on what's going on. I tried Street Fighter II: WW last night and was able to flashkick E. Honda when he did his sumo headbutt. So in other words, it is very responsive already. Certain screens even hit 60/60 fps, like simple menus and title screens. There's no sound yet. I dread to think about how much slower things will be with sound. I want to see speed increases without sound first before I implement it.
and, something has botered me for a long time, is it possible to fake sound to gain in speed?
Do you mean something similar to how midi works?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I'm sure that it's already faster than Sintendo.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Excellent News :)

Nice to have more coders coming to our great scene
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

scherzo wrote:
and, something has botered me for a long time, is it possible to fake sound to gain in speed?
Do you mean something similar to how midi works?
Exactly. the infamous segagens used it to make things smoother.
and there's lots of snes-extracted banks.

in any case i'm no programmer so i can't say if it can be done :|
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I'm not sure, but if it can be done that might be something I'd leave to programmer who already has knowledge of SNES sound processing.