Snatcher (Single Game Emulated?) on DC

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yup i Made a mess build of an msx2 emulator unreleased. but it was really slow. Dreammsx does not seem to load dsk files. It should thou. give it more of burl tonight. Interface for dreammsx is really bad black text job. Hard to use.

Boots fine using the bootdisk app i wrote. unscramble the bin place it on a cd burn it use the boot disk i put out. Dont have a problem booting the emulator.

This emu is really good speed and sound and uses libdream. Maybe a port over to kos with a better interface would be a good idea one time.
Dreamcast forever!!!
jimmybigeyes
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jimmybigeyes »

Very curious! Good luck, Ian. May all the world's reindeers help you on this quest.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Thanks. I guess you should just keep trying different things out to see which results in the best speed. If you want, I can make an ISO of the Sega CD Version which I have and e-mail it to you if you prefer. ;)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

No i have the Sega cd version of that game. Yeah got a lot on my plate but ill plug away at it. Need a few clones of me lol Thanks jimmybigeyes :lol:
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Would a Sega Genesis emulator tweaked out with the proper bios from a Sega CD system run the game? and how much work would it take to spruce it up JUST for this one game?
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

You would have to either emulate the whole sega cd system or find the source code for snatcher which I don't think either can be done at this point.
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

SchmuckofNI wrote:You would have to either emulate the whole sega cd system or find the source code for snatcher which I don't think either can be done at this point.
Depending on how the game uses the hardware you could fake/underclock a lot of the emulation. The CD access could be faked with HLE. It probably doesn't use the Graphics co-processor for anything other than video conversion. You might be able to get away with underclocking the second 68K. It probably doesn't use all 8 PCM channels.

If you did some RE on the game, you might even be able to fake the whole Sega CD half of it. This is possible with most of Sonic CD.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

How could we go about doing this then? I'd love to see this game resurface on Dreamcast, and do you realize how much MORE attention the DC Emu scene would receive? :D
jimmybigeyes
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by jimmybigeyes »

Yeah, SnatcherDC would be great. I haven't got a clue how to support this idea other than making positive remarks on this board, but please know there are some people very enthousiastic. Some people that speak lousy English.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

See! Like I said. Others would love to get there hands on a game like this!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

Would it be possible to tweak the MSX DC emu then? maybe speed the game up a bit? I know it would get a lot of attention, if we put on the front page that the Dreamcast had Snatcher now. :D
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I think that'd be the best plan, Gillian. Making an interpreter or something for the SCD version would be a lot of work, and I don't know if even a partial SCD emulator would work that great at this point, where we don't have a fullspeed genesis emu yet.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

My problem is that I do not know how to program these things. I don't even develop for the DC! I'm just a big Snatcher fan! :D Its ashame Konami won't update this game for the next gen systems. I.e. PS2.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

They have a PS and Saturn version, they were the last remakes. I don't know if they are as good as the earlier ones, the best one I've played so far was on SCD. I was going to play the PS one, but it is edited, the Saturn version is the same thing but Japanese only and unedited. Anyway, they also had one on the PC Engine CD-ROM (TurboGrafx-16's Turbo CD), so if we get an emulator for that, you could play that version. Just hang tight is all I can say.
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

I'm just trying to get this pushed to be redone on a next gen system, and since the Dreamcast has the most attention to the homebrew development area, I thought I would throw the first into the water and see if someone would bite. :D

I myself have the Sega CD version, and my Sega CD still works! Booyah!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

So do I, works great. But, uh, I don't think you're going to get a REMAKE anytime soon. Maybe just an emulator that runs a port of it.
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

We can just ask and beg that they do something for us. :) I have the MSX English version saved somewhere at home. we just need a tweaked Emu for it.
DaPoEd
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DaPoEd »

The Only thing I have to say is stop using Dreammsx.. I just tested Snatcher Msx2 Version with FMSX DC... The only thing is that it only can be played with Keyboard since you need the numeric keys to play the game.. That's all.. Works just great.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

So you do need the keyboard with it. Well there you go it works. I was using Dreammsx.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Gillian Seed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Gillian Seed »

If anyone needs the Snatcher files to play it on the DC, just drop me a line, I have them. :) And DaPoEd, are you able to make a self bootable FMSX DC disc? and if so, what are you using?

I myself prefer using DSSB Final.